Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

25 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is The Union Already Lost?, Referendum: 18th September 2014
GG
post 9th Jan 2014, 08:32pm
Post #241

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A general observation about this topic:

Two instructions from the Board Rules. Please keep to them here.
  • Do not make insulting or inflammatory statements to other members of the GG boards. Be respectful of other's ideas.
  • Think twice when replying if you are emotional as you are typing your message, as you will probably come across that way. Before you post your message, stop and think.
GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 9th Jan 2014, 08:34pm
Post #242

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
This is getting embarrassing to read. May I humbly suggest that you all cool down a bit.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 9th Jan 2014, 08:38pm
Post #243

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (angel @ 9th Jan 2014, 08:47pm) *
Och , never mind Dylan , it's par for the course on this thread , backed up against a wall , they revert to personal insults .

And being compared to Nazis and fascists is just jolly banter?

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 9th Jan 2014, 08:39pm
Post #244

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
QUOTE (angel @ 9th Jan 2014, 08:47pm) *
Och , never mind Dylan , it's par for the course on this thread , backed up against a wall , they revert to personal insults .
It's just that I would like to hope , the mentality of some on this thread is not that of the voters in this referendum . because they would surely lose if they only want voters , "yes or no " ie 6'2'' plus" .

Thank you Pat.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
angel
post 9th Jan 2014, 08:46pm
Post #245

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 9th Jan 2014, 07:55pm) *

Give us a break . just more politicking from you ,
that 's your interpretation ,

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 9th Jan 2014, 08:46pm
Post #246

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 9th Jan 2014, 08:55pm) *

No it is not, which is why I took exception to being compared to the BNP.

Glad you finally caught on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 9th Jan 2014, 09:01pm
Post #247

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dylan @ 9th Jan 2014, 09:03pm) *
No it is not, which is why I took exception to being compared to the BNP.

Glad you finally caught on.

You clearly haven't caught on, you insult your opponents then try to make out that you are the injured party.

You don't have any shame, do you?

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th Jan 2014, 09:04pm
Post #248

Administrator
Group Icon
To further the point I raised above:
  • Think twice when replying if you are emotional as you are typing your message, as you will probably come across that way. Before you post your message, stop and think.
I'm going to close this topic for a while.

Please do not take this discussion into any other topics!

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th Jan 2014, 11:28pm
Post #249

Administrator
Group Icon
Aa an interlude: a patronising Jeremy Paxman interviewing Alex Salmond in 2012, possibly doing his part to ensure that the "Union is already lost"?

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*ann mcdonald*
post 10th Jan 2014, 02:49pm
Post #250

So "guvin jimm", you dont dispute the fact that the crown gave the scots their lost money back and that we scots did take part in forging the British empire thanks for that.

+Quote Post
*Guvin Jimm*
post 13th Jan 2014, 03:04am
Post #251

QUOTE (ann mcdonald @ 10th Jan 2014, 03:06pm) *
So "guvin jimm", you dont dispute the fact that the crown gave the scots their lost money back and that we scots did take part in forging the British empire thanks for that.

I have already stated that your knowledge of the history of the act of Union is non existant. If you wish to make informed comments about the history of Scotland and events leading up to the Union including the subsequent economic conditions involved in the aftermath of that sorry imposition, I suggest you read the works of notable historians and not the facile arguments you preport to carry of any but fancifull and misleading anecdotes. I would also reccomend that you familiarise yourself with the "Act of Settlement" and the subsequent affirmation by Queen Anne, the last of the Stuarts, that upon her death the Scots would be free to choose their own monarch. It never happened

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 13th Jan 2014, 05:13pm
Post #252

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ann mcdonald @ 10th Jan 2014, 03:06pm) *

Ann, the Scots that you talk about were the Lords and Nobles that had lost their own money investing in the ill fated Darien scheme (the reason why it failed deserves a thread of it's own) the Scottish economy at that time was doing as well as any Northern European trading nation and had no need to be in a union with England.

The Scottish Lords and Nobles who were parliamentarians sold out their country for personal gain, as they had been threatening to default on the bills they owed to their mainly English creditors the English parliament (not the Crown) put a package of money and lands in England together (a bribe to commit treason on Scotland and her people) and with war looming between England and France, Westminster was determined to secure its northern border.

The infamous 'English gold' was sent north to the parcel of rouges as Burns so eloquently put it.

"We're bought and sold for English gold-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!"

You are correct Ann, Scots made fortunes out of the Empire just as there are Scots doing well under the union, you only have to look at the Scots in the House of Lords with their ermine robes.

But it's only in an independent Scotland that we will improve the lives of the ordinary people of Scotland.

+Quote Post
**james1947**
post 16th Jan 2014, 08:10pm
Post #253

I will probably vote No..first because I believe the SNP do not speak for the people, ie if the majority vote against it, then they will pass it (section 12 for example) their overiding green agenda where we pay millions of pounds to companies to turn off their turbines because no-one had the brains to build the infastructure to hold the excess electricity and Kenny McKaskill...'nuff said.

Can I also make a comment on Maggie regarding the dreaded poll tax. Think about it, you're wanting to try something out, where are you going to do it? Mmmm how about somewhere you have no MP's, somewhere if it doesn't work then it wont make a blind bit of difference to staying in government, somewhere that you can shaft the opposing party..
Where would you pick? No Brainer....Scotland.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Jan 2014, 05:56pm
Post #254

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (*james1947* @ 16th Jan 2014, 08:27pm) *
I will probably vote No..first because I believe the SNP do not speak for the people, ie if the majority vote against it, then they will pass it (section 12 for example) their overiding green agenda where we pay millions of pounds to companies to turn off their turbines because no-one had the brains to build the infastructure to hold the excess electricity and Kenny McKaskill...'nuff said.

Can I also make a comment on Maggie regarding the dreaded poll tax. Think about it, you're wanting to try something out, where are you going to do it? Mmmm how about somewhere you have no MP's, somewhere if it doesn't work then it wont make a blind bit of difference to staying in government, somewhere that you can shaft the opposing party..
Where would you pick? No Brainer....Scotland.

The referendum is about Scotland making decisions for ourselves James not whether the SNP speaks for the people or not.

You are probably going to vote NO, so could tell me why you think giving the Tory party the green light to rule Scotland as they see fit is going to benefit the people of Scotland?

The only no brainer is to vote YES for Scotland.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 17th Jan 2014, 06:55pm
Post #255

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 17th Jan 2014, 06:13pm) *
The referendum is about Scotland making decisions for ourselves James not whether the SNP speaks for the people or not.

You are probably going to vote NO, so could tell me why you think giving the Tory party the green light to rule Scotland as they see fit is going to benefit the people of Scotland?

The only no brainer is to vote YES for Scotland.

This is not a straight fight between the SNP and the Tories regardless what the SNP and Salmond say.

The people of Scotland have more sense.!

--------------------

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.