Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dance Halls In Glasgow, ...do you remember these?
wheeghee
post 16th Feb 2011, 05:59pm
Post #91

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,999
Doe's anyone remember the bouncer who worked the Barrowland Ballroom he had a massive scar on his face and was called the 'Monstar', he was badly injured at the battle Mons World War 1

That's where the name came from. dry.gif

--------------------
Nullis in verba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
enrique
post 17th Feb 2011, 01:03pm
Post #92

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
biggrin.gif my days in the dance halls was the late fifties and 60s, Monday the Barraland or thePally in Denniston, Tuesdays The Flamingo in paisley road, Wed, the Melba (dont know where )we used to go there because you got a free ticket at the door, thus Flamingo , Friday, Barrowland again and Sat Flamingo, i recollect my first dance hall was th FFs, on a Sunday you paid 2 bob at the door and they had a talent night and a big band playing, at the FFs you danced the moonie so you could get as close and as slow moving with yer burd , great, some of the bands and groups at the flam The Poets , Sol Byron and his band and the big band was Dave Anderson, one night there was a big rumour of a 14 year old future star , i think her name was Lulu , dont know whit happened to her

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 23rd Feb 2011, 09:07am
Post #93

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (enrique @ 17th Feb 2011, 10:26pm) *
biggrin.gif my days in the dance halls was the late fifties and 60s, Monday the Barraland or thePally in Denniston, Tuesdays The Flamingo in paisley road, Wed, the Melba (dont know where )we used to go there because you got a free ticket at the door, thus Flamingo , Friday, Barrowland again and Sat Flamingo, i recollect my first dance hall was th FFs, on a Sunday you paid 2 bob at the door and they had a talent night and a big band playing, at the FFs you danced the moonie so you could get as close and as slow moving with yer burd , great, some of the bands and groups at the flam The Poets , Sol Byron and his band and the big band was Dave Anderson, one night there was a big rumour of a 14 year old future star , i think her name was Lulu , dont know whit happened to her

Were the FFs still there in the 60s. That wis my parents ball room of choice. I well remember the Flamingo as I lived near Paisley after leavin' Govan and my foreman for a while wis lead trumpet in the big band. The Barrowland as I was always "elefants trunk" when I went I dont remember so much.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 18th May 2012, 04:44pm
Post #94

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
Ive got access to take photos in the Barrowland in a few weeks but was told its aw changed inside. whit a shame..

+Quote Post
faffy
post 19th May 2012, 09:43pm
Post #95

Visitor
Member No.: 5,599
QUOTE (Isobel @ 10th Jan 2004, 12:12am) *
Loved the Plaza ,used to go with all ma pals on a Tuesday night . ALSO the Majestic on Hope Street ,loved it. No one mentions the Majestic, was I the only one who went there?

I used to go to the Majestic,I loved it.I lived in East Kilbride and used to meet my Cousin in the Toon and off we would go for a great night at "the Dancin" great memories and met a few great Dates there.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 8th Jun 2012, 02:19pm
Post #96

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (Marjory MacKay @ 18th Aug 2007, 04:02pm) *
The Locarno was one of the best dance halls in Glasgow. Terrific bands and revolving stage. The lunchtime sessions on a Saturday were great and they played all the latest pop records. I particularly loved "Sail along Silvery Moon" by the Billy Vaughn Orchestra and "Reet Petite" by Jackie Wilson. On a Saturday night 2 girls got in for the price of one if you were there before 8 o'clock. They used to frisk you to see if you had a "wee hauf boattle" with you.

I remember being at the Locarno one night and I was sitting down. This wee guy came up and asked me to dance and I refused [knowing I would dwarf him] but he kept on insisting so I stood up. His reaction was "Hey, you're a big burd urn't ye?" I could'nt stop laughing. I learned my lesson though, don't sit down.

Does anyone remember Wilson's Dance Studio at the Botanic Gardens? All the good jivers went there [but I wasn't one of them]. I never liked the Majestic [too toffee nosed]. The Dennistoun Palais wasn't bad but the boys and girls lined up at opposite ends and it was like a cattle market.

I remember a dance studio at botanic gardens, it was situated next to great western road but i knew it as Bill Murdochs. My wee brother did a lot of competitive dancing and i think he trained there and i took dance lessons there as well. ah well remember it as being a great little place. I cant be sure of the dates but i would guess at the mid to late 60's

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 8th Jun 2012, 10:07pm
Post #97

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Beside the Silver Slipper cafe at the old railway station. It became Sergeant Pepper's and was burnt down.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th Jul 2012, 08:40pm
Post #98

The disco above Green's Playhouse was Clouds.

+Quote Post
*Robert Arthur Jones*
post 22nd Feb 2014, 01:09pm
Post #99

QUOTE (Guest Heather * @ 7th Sep 2007, 02:58pm) *
Hi, I just stumbled across this site and it's wonderful. My uncle was Bobby Jones of the Bobby Jones Dance Hall in Ayr. He also was the owner of the Berkley. My aunt, Margaret Graham, was the Manageress of the Disco "Joanna's", located under the Albert Hall. I can remember on holidays "home" sneaking down the back stairs in the Bobby Jones to watch all the activities and the dancing during the early 60's. My Gran used to live in the flats above the ballroom. And then during the 70's heading off to see my aunt at Joanna's. My mum & dad were from Glasgow and how we loved to hear of the escapades at the various dancehalls. Keep it going!!! Cheers. smile.gif

Hello,

I am a nephew of Bobby and Cathy Jones, my Dad was Arthur Jones, I know your post was over six years ago. Would love to get in touch and retrieve any more memories and information you have. Robert Jones; Southampton; mr.jones066@gmail.com

+Quote Post
**Hazel**
post 2nd Apr 2014, 12:49pm
Post #100

QUOTE (*catherine* @ 2nd Feb 2010, 01:21am) *
Does anyone remember a place called Spiers Dance Hall (possibly in Yoker but I'm not sure!). I'm trying to look for a photo of either the outside or inside of Spiers Dance Hall to give to someone as a present, and if anyone could help at all - that'd be amazing!!

I know its sometime since you posted but maybe you will come across this answer
Speirs Hall was St Mathews Church that held dances for locals teenagers 1970 's it was off Kelso St / Alderman Road Yoker

+Quote Post
*Jack wallace*
post 7th Jun 2014, 06:11pm
Post #101

QUOTE (*catherine* @ 2nd Feb 2010, 01:21am) *
Does anyone remember a place called Spiers Dance Hall (possibly in Yoker but I'm not sure!). I'm trying to look for a photo of either the outside or inside of Spiers Dance Hall to give to someone as a present, and if anyone could help at all - that'd be amazing!!

I remember Speirs well some brilliant jivers and the little guy who run the dances no band just records....

+Quote Post
snarler63
post 8th Jun 2014, 11:34am
Post #102

Lord Provost
Member No.: 25,943
Boy does this take me back. Used to go to most of those already mentioned. Friday night was the Flamingo on Paisley Rd.West. On a Saturday we sometimes went to the Barrowland but more usually into town, where it depended how much central heating you had in you as to which hall you went. if they even smelled drink sometimes at the Majestic it was no, so off to the Locarno where they went by the look of your eyes. If it was no there it was off to the Albert and only if someone in the company was too far gone to get in there it was the Astoria. Now that place was rough, always full of US sailors of various hues often drunk and ready for anything. I think the polis had a mini bus full on permanent standby for the place at weekends.
I loved the Locarno Tues, Thur night and Sat afternoon. It just came to me they had a big band type orchestra there in the late 60s or early 70s, the leader played a clarinet I think, but he wore a wig and as the night progressed with the sweat the glue must have deteriorated, as when he would play an up tempo number as he bopped up and down you could see his rug flapping on his head.
Happy memories.

+Quote Post
*CJ Thomas*
post 16th Apr 2015, 02:52pm
Post #103

QUOTE (Robert Arthur Jones @ 22nd Feb 2014, 01:26pm) *
Hello,

I am a nephew of Bobby and Cathy Jones, my Dad was Arthur Jones, I know your post was over six years ago. Would love to get in touch and retrieve any more memories and information you have. Robert Jones; Southampton; mr.jones066@gmail.com

Hi,

I am a great niece of Bobby Jones. My grandpa was William Jones, your Dad's (and Bobby's) brother. I think that makes us second cousins!

Caroline Thomas (nee Jones)

+Quote Post
*linda muir*
post 26th Jul 2015, 05:14pm
Post #104

QUOTE (Doug1 @ 8th Jun 2012, 02:27pm) *
I remember a dance studio at botanic gardens, it was situated next to great western road but i knew it as Bill Murdochs. My wee brother did a lot of competitive dancing and i think he trained there and i took dance lessons there as well. ah well remember it as being a great little place. I cant be sure of the dates but i would guess at the mid to late 60's

+Quote Post
**frankie**
post 14th Nov 2015, 04:29pm
Post #105

I well remember Bill Murdochs dance school at the Botanics, I learned lots there and won many dance medals.

Spent many an hour in the cafe next door with its wee jukebox on the Wall...... how I miss the 60's.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.