Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are Ye Dancin'?, The History of Glasgow Dance Halls
pumps100
post 8th Jun 2012, 10:23pm
Post #91

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
QUOTE (Doug1 @ 8th Jun 2012, 10:50pm) *
... Lynch and Langdon also owned Valentinos in paisley

Never knew he owned Valentinos in Paisley. On the very day I passed my driving test I got done for speeding on the dual carriageway bit on Paisley Rd West on route to Valentinos.

Wife-to-be was beside me. People were flashing their headlights at me. I checked my lights and none were on as it was a light summer evening. Next minute I'm being pulled over by the boys in blue. My passenger says to me " What's this about?". I replied "It's probably a traffic census".

Speeding: 36 MPH in a 30MPH area. 6 fine. I paid the fine back at 2 a week.

Did you know Davy Mulhern who was a bouncer at Clouds. Later went on to be Deputy Police Constable of Fife or Strathclyde? His wife owns that quite famous MacIntosh tea room place across from where the Elephant was.

Regards

Ian
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 9th Jun 2012, 06:44pm
Post #92

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 8th Jun 2012, 11:38pm) *
Never knew he owned Valentinos in Paisley. On the very day I passed my driving test I got done for speeding on the dual carriageway bit on Paisley Rd West on route to Valentinos.

Wife-to-be was beside me. People were flashing their headlights at me. I checked my lights and none were on as it was a light summer evening. Next minute I'm being pulled over by the boys in blue. My passenger says to me " What's this about?". I replied "It's probably a traffic census".

Speeding: 36 MPH in a 30MPH area. 6 fine. I paid the fine back at 2 a week.

Did you know Davy Mulhern who was a bouncer at Clouds. Later went on to be Deputy Police Constable of Fife or Strathclyde? His wife owns that quite famous MacIntosh tea room place across from where the Elephant was.

Regards

Ian

No Ian i knew all the stewards and most of the lassies but Davy Mulhern disnae ring a bell at the moment. valentinos was great disco and i often went there with my lass (now my wife of 38 years) because i lived on the south side and of course valentinos was in paisley
_________

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 9th Jun 2012, 10:21pm
Post #93

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
Davy Mulhern went on to become one of the top police people in Scotland. I once worked in the same place as him.

From the New Years Honour's list in 2007
The Queen's Police Medal is awarded to Malcolm Rae Dickson, HM Assistant Inspector of Constabulary, David Mulhern, Chief Executive of the Scottish Police Services Authority, and Patrick John Shearer, Deputy Chief Constable, Grampian Police

I understand in recent times there has been some legal proceedings ongoing about Davy's tenure as head of the SPSA but as I recall him you could not get a more straight and honorable person.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
dancer
post 10th Jul 2012, 04:33pm
Post #94

Settling In
Member No.: 5,613
‘At this time there were eleven major ballrooms in Glasgow, compared to Edinburgh with five. Since London had fewer than this, Glasgow was considered to be the capital of dance in Great Britain, if not in the entire world. Wasn’t it Jack Diamond of the city’s Dancing Academy who, along with a Mr MacNaughton and partners, first demonstrated the Argentinean Tango in the McLellan Galleries on Sauchiehall street in 1913, inspiring a half column in the Glasgow Herald? Hadn’t the battalions who marched through the city to war a year later carried its irresistible tempo in their heads, their feet marking out the tricky steps in the trench until the lethal shell arrived? And back in Glasgow, many young women received as tactful gifts from sweethearts and spouses the best selling manual The Tango and How to Dance It before being invited to the latest craze, Tango Teas.
Robert Hunter’s destination that mild evening in another world was the Albert Ballroom. He had come to this hallowed dance place on pilgrimage because he had read about the Warren family who owned the Albert. The patriarch was John Warren, assisted by his wife Annie, and their two sons and two daughters had been raised in an environment which Robert considered to be blissful, an elegant ballroom, which, in its early days had advertised: Gentlemen, one shilling, Ladies, invited.
Robert has come through to watch the Warren dynasty giving an exhibition dance of the Argentinean Tango. The males were immaculate in swallow-tailed coats and white gloves, the ladies in ankle-length gowns. The patriarch’s son John was partnering Miss Dorothy Dawn, who would become his wife. But the patriarch wasn’t dancing with his wife Annie. Their daughter Jessie, divine exponent of the Royal Empress Tango, had died several years before at the age of eighteen, and her heartbroken mother Annie would never dance again.’

The above extract is from the short story Everything is Pleasing at the Plaza in Lorn Macintyre’s new collection of stories, encompassing Swing Dancing, Scottish Country, Ceilidh, Irish and Ballroom, and celebrating the era in the mid 20th century when tens of thousands of people crowded the dance floors of Scotland. Miss Esther Scott’s Fancy by Lorn Macintyre (paperback 9.99) is published by Priormuir Press. Order via www.priormuir-press.co.uk or through Amazon or Waterstone’s.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 11th Jul 2012, 05:33pm
Post #95

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Very interesting post Dancer showing the wide diversity in dancing in Glasgow over the years.My late father and my youngest brother were very involved in the ballroom dancing scene about 40 years ago and then there were literally hundred of couple doing proper ballroom dancing every week

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.