Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are Ye Dancin'?, The History of Glasgow Dance Halls
Melody
post 13th Nov 2006, 08:48pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I forgot all about Sylvesters as well, why am I thinking that I went there on a Saturday afternoon? Would that be right enough? I was probably about fifteen at the time. How that took me back there. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Avril
post 13th Nov 2006, 09:25pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Melody I think you might be right that it was a Saturday afternoon for Sylvesters. I found my wee red membership book when I was clearing out recently and I was about 15 too. I wouldn't have been allowed out to the dancing in town at night at that age! Funny to think that we might have been in the same place at the same time all these years ago isn't it? It wasn't a very big place! I do remember a fight breaking out once and all the girls screaming and running in all directions, I think it was two daft wee boys fighting over a lassie! Do you remember we used to all line up and do 'The Maddison' there? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 13th Nov 2006, 10:53pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif It is funny when ye find yer places are still yet there tae, even if it is years later biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Melody
post 14th Nov 2006, 06:42am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I do remember Georgia and I remember it was the twist time and having a twist dress. It was all diagonal coloured stripes wi a wee flaired bit at the knees. That was it we would not have been allowed out at night at that age. I wonder if we were there at the same time? It is funny thinking back sure it is? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Nov 2006, 07:58am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Yes, it's all coming back now Melody, I used to wear my cha-cha skirt to Sylvesters as well.....remember them? Straight skirts to the knees then wee boxpleats biggrin.gif There was a grey skirt and pink top phase too, was there not? White poplin coats, then after them iridescent coats were all the rage......aye we fairly got dolled up for Sylvesters!!! Remember the wee bar in the corner? You bought yourself a coke, they served it in the bottle with a straw and you felt really 'with it and cool' Ha! Ha! laugh.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 14th Nov 2006, 09:28am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
biggrin.gif There was a pub Neil & I went to often as we enjoyed the fella who played the keyboards there(awe kinds o sounds rythyms etc),I think it was called chambers or sumitt like that & we got access via a walk through the st Georges square at the opposite corner diagonaly across from the bottom of the Queen st station steps.
We had many a rerr terr in there on Friday nights,It always had a singsong tae, tae ma mortifycation wan night Neil was that proud o how a sang Barbera streisands Evergreen song, he wrote ma name oan the singers list,a ver near died o a riddy(that much blood ran tae ma face a goat frozen tae the spot & felt nothing heard nothing & was gratefull furr the applause at the end(a bit o me did die a wee tait haha,ma human pride haha laugh.gif
The guy looked & sounded like wan o ma favourites shhh.......Neil Diamond haha.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Nov 2006, 10:04am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Linda...Men they cin be wee so and so's (putting it politely) at times, cin't they? Ma man did that tae me wance in the Boulevard Hotel in Gt Western Road (near Drumchapel). We used to go there on Sunday Nights, they hud a big hall, wi' a proper stage and a full band. It wiz always packed because pubs wurnae open oan Sundays in the '60' but ye could get a drink in a hotel as long as ye booght a pie (because then ye wur considered a diner!!!). So everybody flocked tae the Boulevard Hotel fur a pie an' a pint oan Sunday nights! Anywey, ah went tae the loo an' ah wiz only back 5 minutes when the guy in the band called oot ma name, I wundered whit wiz gaun oan, then a looked at ma man and he wiz laughin' hiz heid aff. He hud pit ma name doon while a wiz in the toilet!!!! Well ah near died..there wiz hunners o' folk there a' lookin ' up at me oan the stage, waitin' in anticipation...I jist shut aff, an' belted out Kathy Kirby's 'Let me go Lover'( the first song that came intae ma heid)...well ah goet a standin' ovation an' a wiz asked tae sing another wan but ah said 'Naw it's a'right, ah'll jist go noo'!!! I wiz only 18 and hud only been gaun oot wi' him fur a couple o' months...whit a shirikin'!!!! It's a wonder ah agreed tae merry him...bit wur still thegether efter 40 years, ah'm still singing, goet a lot mair confidence noo, if there's a karaoke and he disnae pit ma name up, ah want tae know why!!! Ah've belted oot wan ur two numbers upsters in the Horseshoe when we've been back in Glesga!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 14th Nov 2006, 12:37pm
Post #23

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
I used to run around "The Maryland" [in Scott Street I think it was].

I also remember "The Lindella " [ SP ?] where I first heard /saw Pink Floyd.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Nov 2006, 01:04pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
I forgot about Maryland, I went there a couple of times but it was more a favourite haunt of my big brothers. He also went to The Highlander's Institute at Charing Cross.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 14th Nov 2006, 04:57pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
biggrin.gif Pretty cool oor Wullie, Pink Floyd wow! I would have loved to have seen & heard them live, I still have my vynal lps Darkside of the Moon & The Wish you were here LP too................Come on over here & have a cigar....you know youre gonna go far................. How I wish......how I wish you were here............. or Money.......It`s a Gas............... youre not sure when..................but its gonna go fast................or sittin here waitin to brighten a dull day..........

awe am all caught up in the floods of lyrics,besides santana,some of the best guitar playing in town oor wullie thanks fur the memory. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 14th Nov 2006, 06:30pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Georgia, what Majestic did you go to????? I believe there was one in Govanhill, started off as a cinema and ended up as a dance hall. Jaybee

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Nov 2006, 06:50pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Jaybee, it was the Majestic on the corner of Renfield Street and Hope Street.

Linda don't start screamin' yet but one of the guys from Pink Floyd live next door to my youngest daughter...don't ask me which one because I wasn't a big fan and wouldn't know. When she moved into the house a couple of years ago she had a BBQ and out of politeness she asked the neighbours in, she hadn't a clue who he was until someone told her.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 14th Nov 2006, 07:03pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Georgia.... jaybee

+Quote Post
stratson
post 14th Nov 2006, 07:12pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Jaybee, The Majestic Picture House became !THE MELBA"dance hall.

The other Majestic, in town, was once I believe"THE SAVOY
PICTURE HOUSE"
I thought it was in Hope Street next to Rialto Restuarant
where I worked. rolleyes.gif
I danced their guess was 1959 or 60 .
Was a friday night regular at Green's Playhouse Ballroom.
All the Big Bands, The joint was jumpin'.Loved it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 14th Nov 2006, 07:26pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
You are so right Stratson, of course now I remember the Melba I thought it had kept the original name. Isn't it amazing how certain things trigger the old mind. Jaybee

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.