Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did You Go Dancing At The Majestic?
francis24
post 15th Jul 2015, 10:50am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,503
Dear all,
I am part of a Glasgow amateur film club and we are making a wee documentary about the history of 140 Sauchiehall Street, now the location of the Savoy Shopping Centre. Before the Savoy Centre was built this location was home to several buildings, among them the grand Majestic ballroom.

We want to show how these places are still alive in people’s minds although they are physically not there anymore. Did you go dancing at the Majestic? What are your memories of the place? What made the Majestic so special? Please contact us under savoycentredoc@homemail.com or post below!
May thanks
Isa
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 18th Jul 2015, 10:57pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello Isa

If my memory serves me right, I think the Majestic was preceded by the New Savoy cinema. This cinema must have had the highest balcony in Glsagow. It was like looking at a film from an aeroplane.

One of my fondest memories of the Majestic actually took place outside the hall. My wife and I were in the queue waiting to get in when two buskers appeared. One sang while the other played the harmonica. The singer was the boiler man from the steamie in Maryhill on Garbraid Avenue. Both were dressed in evening suits complete with bow ties.

About a week later we went to the Plaza at Eglinton Toll. Later in the evening the two buskers came into the hall having paid their entrance fees with their busking money. They charmed some of the more mature ladies with their dress code and suave manners.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
*backcauseway*
post 20th Aug 2015, 08:39am
Post #3

I had a work mate 1964/65 or so who on Friday and Saturday nights was a "leader aff" at the Magic Stick ie Majestic.

My future wife also had a short spell as a leader off. I think there were 10 boys and girls who got in for free or very cheaply but had to be on the floor as soon as the first dance started. I seem to remember Del Shannon's "Kelly" being played to "sort of signify" it was the last dance. So a "moonie" where you got to hold some lassie quite tight maybe to see her to the bus stop. Quite often the girls came from Drumchapel/ Castlemilk/ Renfrew/ Clydebank so at the time I stayed out Easterhouse way so it was just a quick walk to the bus stop. No lumber home your way! Happy innocent days.

My last bus was around 11pm so no hanging about afterwards! There was also the Disco "Clouds"? However sometimes we went to the Locarno. There was also a place in Scott Street we went to for some reason. The Locarno seem to attract US sailors from the Holy Loch for some reason. I once saw a massive fight with some US sailors and "locals" out side near the Locarno.

+Quote Post
serabash
post 20th Aug 2015, 09:43am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
I saw a massive fight wae american sailors too in the mayfair in sauchiehall st. there was one giant black sailor well over 6 ft and built like the hulk. if he asked you to dance you were scared to say no laugh.gif

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 26th Aug 2015, 10:49pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (francis24 @ 15th Jul 2015, 11:58am) *
Dear all,
I am part of a Glasgow amateur film club and we are making a wee documentary about the history of 140 Sauchiehall Street, now the location of the Savoy Shopping Centre. Before the Savoy Centre was built this location was home to several buildings, among them the grand Majestic ballroom.

We want to show how these places are still alive in people’s minds although they are physically not there anymore. Did you go dancing at the Majestic? What are your memories of the place? What made the Majestic so special? Please contact us under savoycentredoc@homemail.com or post below!
May thanks
Isa

Hello again Isa

For some reason or other I was just browsing through tis topic again. I just relised that you are researching 140 Sauchiehall Street. The Majestic was around the corner in Hope Street. There was a cinema at what is now the entrance of the Savoy Centre in Sauchiehall Street. I remember seeing some films there, including The Outlaw, and South Pacific. Can't remember the name of the cinema. Must be getting old!

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 27th Aug 2015, 07:01am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
The Gaumont, formerly the Picture House, but that was before my time.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 28th Aug 2015, 10:53pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 27th Aug 2015, 08:09am) *
The Gaumont, formerly the Picture House, but that was before my time.

Hello Bilbo

Thanks for 'bailing me out'. I haven't got any excuses, it wasn't before my time!
Mind you, I think I did mention the Picture House on another topic, regarding films.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.