Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Empire Theatre
Betsy2009
post 3rd Jan 2014, 02:26pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Oh heavens - that reminds me of the gods in the Pavilion. It was really scarey getting up there. Very few people moved, even during the interval.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 3rd Jan 2014, 02:43pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 3rd Jan 2014, 03:43pm) *
Oh heavens - that reminds me of the gods in the Pavilion. It was really scarey getting up there. Very few people moved, even during the interval.

I once went to the "gods" in Green's Playhouse to see a movie. I felt I should have been issued with ropes and crampons to reach my seat. On leaving, I scaled the heights from the front row and then descended endless flights of stairs until I reached a "push bar to open" door, which unfortunately was locked fast. It was so frustrating to see and hear the traffic on Renfield Street through the narrow space. Of course I had to climb all those flights up to the balcony foyer and the descend the correct stairs to make good my escape. I never crossed the threshold again.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 3rd Jan 2014, 03:13pm
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
It was a long time ago and I can't remember what or where but when I was doing my Higher English in 1968, I remember getting taken to see a Shakespeare play and we were sitting in the Gods. I was so petrified I couldn't enjoy the play. Maybe it was The Citizens Theatre.

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 3rd Jan 2014, 06:03pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
Bob Bain's excellent website on the Empire seems to have disappeared. Lots of good stuff, photos, programmes and comments from audience members - hope it comes back.
Photo below of the Empire in Sauchiehall St. in 1962 just before it closed is from the Virtual Mitchell.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Heather
post 3rd Jan 2014, 07:16pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember my older sister and brothers going to the Empire to see all the well known stars play there.
I was there a few times and remember going to see Dickie Valentine with one of my friend's, and my brother and his friend. The two boys were cringing and sliding down in their seats when Dickie Valentine came on and all the girls were screaming their heads off. The boys were pretending they were not with us.
When he sang 'The finger of Suspicion Points at You', the girls were all screaming, ' me, me'. laugh.gif

It was our turn to cringe when the dancing girls came on, the boys were all whistling at the dancers.

We waited at the stage door and got Dickie to sign our Autograph Book.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 3rd Jan 2014, 07:24pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Och, Heather ! You should have taken me, as I was a Dickie Valentine fan - couldnae staun Frankie Vaughan, but ! I remember that song well and the fact he married a Glesca lassie. Died too young.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 3rd Jan 2014, 07:52pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 3rd Jan 2014, 05:41am) *
Did anyone see the excellent BBC2 show on Glasgow Theaters and the famous acts that played there? I had no idea Glasgow has such a rich verity of Theaters.
Of course i knew about the Metropole and the pavilion and the citizens theater
But i had no idea where the empire was and the acts that used to play there.

I loved the story about escape artist Harry Houdini who got stuck in the toilet. biggrin.gif
It could be true. And also Roy Rodgers and trigger.
I would love to hear of your experience of going to see shows in the Empire and other places.

Way back on these boards there was a long thread with lots of memories of the Empire (including mine). I tried to find it but the search method on here is incomprehensible - unless someone knows different!
In the mid to late 50s, I went to the Empire most Saturday nights with my pal and we paid 2/6 for a seat in the 'gods' and I still remember the great shows we saw for this pittance - Frankie Vaughan, Frankie Laine, David Whitfield, Marino Marini, Norman Wisdom, Alma Cogan, David Nixon, Josef Locke - the list is endless. I was there when Des O'Connor made his famous 'fainting' act after he got the Glasgow 'Bird' and could not continue due to hilarious heckling! Anyone who went to the Empire must remember it fondly. yes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00JJU4xDm0

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Heather
post 3rd Jan 2014, 08:11pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Ooh Bill, I did not know you were a Dickie Valentine fan or I would have invited you to come with us. laugh.gif
He was a handsome guy and was killed in a car crash when he was in his early 40s.

The Finger of Suspicion.

http://youtu.be/dnUAfiEAP5A

A Blossom Fell.

http://youtu.be/_8oOloi1VU8

My dad used to cringe when Frankie Vaughan came on the TV, he did not like him either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elma
post 3rd Jan 2014, 08:59pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I went to the Empire quite a few times but the only act I remember is Frankie Vaughan smile.gif We always enjoyed the 'Half-past Eight shows and the pantomimes at the Alhambra and the Theatre Royal usually had good shows, but our favourite was the Kings where they used to have plays on, a different one every week. We would go on Monday nights when you could get in 'two for one.' thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 3rd Jan 2014, 09:09pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
When we lived in the Town, we used to go to the Empress every week.

I think it was a Monday night that children got in half price and there was always a big queue and we all got a seat up in the Gods.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 4th Jan 2014, 12:44am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello All

In the late 1940's I went to the Glasgow Empire by myself, for the first time, on a Friday night. I enjoyed the show so much, I went nearly every week until I had to go on National Service in 1952. There were billboards all over the city, giving details of the variety show every week.

The attraction for me were the Big Bands. Geraldo, Billy Cotton, Joe Loss etc, etc. They played in Greens Playhouse for one week for the dancers, then came to the Empire for the following week. Betty Driver of Coronation Street fame was a glamourous singer at that time. I am sure she was with Billy Cotton. Most of the bands had a glamorous female singer.

It was also famous for being the graveyard of English comedians. There were two perfomances every night from Monday to Saturday. The English comedians hated the first show on a Monday night. They new that if they flopped during that first perfomance, they might as well go home. Eric and Ernie failed the test big time!

Frank Sinatra performed there. In spite of being a faithful patron of the Empire, I couldn't get a ticket. The streets around the theatre were mobbed that night.

I will also never forget my 21st birthday at the Empire. At that time you had to be 21 to buy alchohol. My parents got tickets for the football team I played for, and gave me money to buy them all a drink at the interval. Alcoholic ones for the 21's and soft drinks for the teenagers. When I asked the barmaid for alcoholic drinks she refused to serve me. She said I was under 21. How embarrasing that was! She said she would serve the drinks to one of my team mates, (the 6 feet tall goalkeeper). He was only 18! Jimmy Watson who went on to play for Clyde.

As part of my engagement celebrations, again my parents supplied the tickets and the drinks money. Sophie Tucker was top of the bill. She called out my name and my fiancee's name and announced our engagement. We were asked to stand up to let the audience see us. Our moment of fame!

One other hall that was a favourite with youngsters ( schoolchildren that is) was the Empress. We used to queue up to get up to the Gods to see the variety show, on a Friday night. Wooden seats, but we loved it. There was a scramble to get up the stairs first to get the front seats. It was every man (well boy or girl) for themselves. We didn't take prisoners!

Speaking of the Empire being the graveyard of English comedians, I was at the Pavilion when Billy Connolley flopped. He had written a play. I think it was called, 'Me and Ma Bad Back Tae'. I think it was in the 1970's. He played a leading role in the play.

We had bought tickets for the circle, but when we arrived, we were ushered into the stalls. The attendance was so poor that the ushers put some people in the first few rows, then left a few rows empty, before seating some people in the middle rows. Then there was another gap between the rows and we were ushered in with other people to the last couple of rows. And this was a Saturday night!

The play wasn't that bad either. It had its funny moments. At the end of the show, Billy let it be known that he was not at all pleased with the turnout. Two policemen wandered in, and Bill started making fun of them. He was treading on thin ice!

He said he would never come back to Glagow again, claiming that he was not appreciated in his home town. He came back didn't he, to receive the freedom of the City. Funny old world.

Regards to All

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 4th Jan 2014, 07:20am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
QUOTE (Rab @ 3rd Jan 2014, 08:09pm) *
Way back on these boards there was a long thread with lots of memories of the Empire (including mine). I tried to find it but the search method on here is incomprehensible - unless someone knows different!
In the mid to late 50s, I went to the Empire most Saturday nights with my pal and we paid 2/6 for a seat in the 'gods' and I still remember the great shows we saw for this pittance - Frankie Vaughan, Frankie Laine, David Whitfield, Marino Marini, Norman Wisdom, Alma Cogan, David Nixon, Josef Locke - the list is endless. I was there when Des O'Connor made his famous 'fainting' act after he got the Glasgow 'Bird' and could not continue due to hilarious heckling! Anyone who went to the Empire must remember it fondly. yes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00JJU4xDm0

I will try and have a look rab. I love all these stories and how much Glasgow loved it's theatres and cinemas.
I am too young and missed it all. I would love to have experience the empire. Reading through the posts it seems to have a place in the hearts of the people and that is what it is about.
would loved to have seen francie and josie and Laurel and Hardy.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 4th Jan 2014, 11:40am
Post #28

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Wonderful memories of the Empire shows in the 50s and 60s. Bobby Darin was a big favourite of mine and I saw the show Bilbo mentioned, which also included Clyde McPhater.

Tommy Steele and Cliff Richard & the Shadows were two more memorable shows. I recall also seeing Andy Stewart there in his heyday.

Can anyone remember a singer called Joan Regan? I was a member of her fan club and collected her records at the young age of 12 (early fifties). Joan was appearing in the Empire and my Dad took me to the show. We waited at the stage door afterwards and I was so exited to meet her and accept a signed photo. She was so glamorous and I loved her voice.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Jan 2014, 11:53am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 4th Jan 2014, 12:57pm) *
Wonderful memories of the Empire shows in the 50s and 60s. Bobby Darin was a big favourite of mine and I saw the show Bilbo mentioned, which also included Clyde McPhater.

Tommy Steele and Cliff Richard & the Shadows were two more memorable shows. I recall also seeing Andy Stewart there in his heyday.

Can anyone remember a singer called Joan Regan? I was a member of her fan club and collected her records at the young age of 12 (early fifties). Joan was appearing in the Empire and my Dad took me to the show. We waited at the stage door afterwards and I was so exited to meet her and accept a signed photo. She was so glamorous and I loved her voice.

Hi Lass. Did you know that Joan Regan died last September 13, aged 85 ? I can't say I was a big fan, as in those days British singers mostly covered hits by American stars, and I always preferred the originals.

Sadly I did not see the Bobby Darin etc show, but a friend and I met Bobby at Sandyhill Golf Club, where he bought us a lager and lime. We were so in awe that we didn't think to ask for his autograph ! Another one of the greats to die too soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 6th Jan 2014, 02:40am
Post #30

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 4th Jan 2014, 12:10pm) *
Hi Lass. Did you know that Joan Regan died last September 13, aged 85 ? I can't say I was a big fan, as in those days British singers mostly covered hits by American stars, and I always preferred the originals.

Sadly I did not see the Bobby Darin etc show, but a friend and I met Bobby at Sandyhill Golf Club, where he bought us a lager and lime. We were so in awe that we didn't think to ask for his autograph ! Another one of the greats to die too soon.

No, bilbo.s, I didn't know Joan had died - we don't get a lot of information about such things in New Zealand. She was actually only 14 years older than me and when I met her at the Empire she took a real interest in me (my mother had recently died when I was 11). I never forgot her kindness. I think my Dad was just as much impressed as I was!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.