Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St Andrew's Halls Glasgow, Dancing in Halls
dancer
post 11th Sep 2010, 12:19pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 5,613
St Andrew's Halls burned down in 1962. Not only did the classical building beside the Mitchell Library contain a massive hall, capable of accommodating over 4,000 people; there were also lesser halls upstairs, such as the Berkeley. Can anyone tell me - or put me in touch with an older person who might have danced in the Halls, or even worked there - which of the Halls was used for ceilidh dances such as the annual gatherings of Highland Associations? Was the main hall too big?

Thank you,
Dancer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
benny
post 11th Sep 2010, 03:51pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
The only memory I have of St. Andrews Halls is being taken there by my school, when I was about 14, to hear the Scottish National Orchestra with Alexander Gibson conducting. It was the first time I'd ever heard a live orchestra, and ah loved it - but some of the teachers had actually gone tae sleep. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Elma
post 11th Sep 2010, 04:17pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Like you benny one of the many memories I have was going to St.Andrews Hall for the concert with my school, I was always fascinated by the french horn players. I remember the concert always finished with "The Young People's guide to the Ochestra.' It got a bit boring over the years biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 11th Sep 2010, 10:00pm
Post #4

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
Nothing to do with performances but my Mum had living room curtians made from material saved from the fire. I also happen to have a couple of crystal glasses that were salvaged. wink.gif

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 11th Sep 2010, 10:02pm
Post #5

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
Just had a thought. Is the Highlanders Institute still alive? If so, you may get your answer there.

+Quote Post
*andy wilson*
post 12th Sep 2010, 02:18am
Post #6

Highlanders Institute in Berkley st closed in 1979-the old HI in Elmbank st closed in the 60's and is now a block of flats-all gone!

+Quote Post
*andy wilson*
post 12th Sep 2010, 02:19am
Post #7

Highlanders Institute in Berkley st closed in 1979-the old HI in Elmbank st closed in the 60's and is now a block of flats-all gone!

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 14th Sep 2010, 05:15pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (mrssnuffy @ 12th Sep 2010, 12:04am) *
Just had a thought. Is the Highlanders Institute still alive? If so, you may get your answer there.

The Highlanders Institute lives on in name only I'm afraid. There is a committee which looks after the assets; they hope to have new Highlanders some day. It's unlikely.
There are many island associations still active in the city e.g. the Uist and Barra association hold a monthly ceilidh. They will all hold their annual ceilidhs over the winter months - I'd better get some practice in.

Le durachd.
Eddy

http://www.anlochran.com/tachartasan/detai...4-ceilidh-dance

See below for details of the St Andrew's Halls.

ST. ANDREW'S HALL SUITE.
Grand Hall, with Gallery, - 4500
Berkeley Hall, with Gallery, - 900
Kent Hall, - 500
Upper Hall, - 600
Mid Hall, - 300
Ballroom Suite, - 250 couples
No. 1 Room, - 100
No. 2 Room, - 50
No. 3 Room, - 70

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.