Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joannas Disco
Rating 5 V
Joannas DJ
post 19th May 2012, 08:17pm
Post #31

Visitor
Member No.: 4,710
QUOTE (joan wheatley @ 18th May 2012, 04:18pm) *
No its the opposite, female with a very deep voice. Soul or blues number. Did you ever play Nina Simone track? 69/70 was the times I went. It's not that important I just liked the song. Thanks for answering.

I did play a couple of Nina`s but for the life of me I cannot remember them.
If i do i`ll get back to you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 20th Sep 2012, 01:25am
Post #32

Visitor
QUOTE (Joannas DJ @ 5th Mar 2012, 01:25am) *
Hi All. I was the DJ at Joannas from Nov 1969 until early 1974 I worked Friday and Saturday nights. JOANNAS was situated underneath the Albert ballroom on Bath Street. The spot is now home to Tennents Lager building. Anyway I first started djing at the Outback club which was situated on the top floor of the building directly across from the Picasso Club in Buchanan street. The owner was a wee Australian guy called Mike. It was a death trap with 3 flights of stairs the ONLY escape should a fire break out,but luckily that never happened. And anyway in those days "safety" was the furthest thing from anybodys mind. I also remember in the Outback we had 2 go-go dancers,and I can remember that one came from Coatbridge,and yours trully being from Pollok,Coatbridge was the other side of the world. I frequented the LUNAR 7 pub for a pint before going in to work in Outback. I left there in the summer of 1969 because my pals were all going enjoying themselves while I was working. And immediately we started going to Joannas. The dj was a girl who used to sit either reading a book or knitting. I got chatting with her about music etc. And each week we had a wee natter about new record releases. Then in late 1969,she informed me she was moving to Australia and would I like the djing job in Joannas when she leaves. Without a seconds hesitation I said You Bet!!!. And 2 weeks later on a very frosty November Friday night at 9.00pm the manager,who at that time was Mike Smith,and whom I had also got to know,called my house in a panic saying...Joe can come in as quick as possible,the dj was is a bit under the weather,because of all the drinks people were buying her,as she was leaving the next weekend. My dad ran me in to Bath Street. The dj, being a bit worse for wear,said she had left me 10 records to play in order,then it was upto me. Big Tam the bouncer was in a sweat trying to keep the music going.I can still remember his face when I walked in. He was delighted to get out the dj box. After the night ended,the manager(Mike Smith)asked me if I would like to come in through the week for an audition for the djing job. I said Mike, ARE YOU KIDDING???. "I have just been thrown in at the deep-end,and kept the BEST club in Glasgow going for the past 3 hours without a hitch,and a type of dj equipment I had never used before,but more important,I kept the floor packed all night,so that WAS my audtion". He said aye your right Joe,can you do Friday and Saturday nights starting from next weekend?. My answer was "NO PROBLEMS MIKE, BUT get me a microphone, which he promptly did. In fact I think I was the first dj to use a mike,because I cannot remember hearing anyone else using one in any other club,but not sure?. And not long after starting in Joannas, Mike left to manage one of Pleasureama`s(Joannas owners)other clubs. I think it was in Falkirk,but I cannot remember for sure where it was. And Cathie Campbell became the new manageress of Joannas, which she held until it closed down. I still have the ORIGINAL copy of the Walker Brothers Joanna,that I played EVERY night as the the last record. Or "Lumber" number as I christened it.
Those WERE the days!!!!.
I could write a book about JOANNAS...THE BEST CLUB IN SCOTLAND!!!
Joe Stringfellow(joannas DJ) :-)))))))

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 20th Sep 2012, 03:41am
Post #33

Visitor
QUOTE (doctor @ 21st Apr 2010, 07:53pm) *
I was a bouncer (but they preferred us to be known as stewards) in Joannas 1972 - 1st January 1973.
Are their any ex staff from that time out there ???????????

Hi. I made a couple of errors in my first post a few months ago about certain dates(at my age that happens lol) which I have no rectified.
I was the DJ at Joannas from Nov`68 until just before the fire in 1974. I DJ`d Friday and Saturday nights. JOANNA`S was situated underneath the Albert ballroom on Bath Street. The spot is now home to Tennents Lager building. Anyway my first djing job was at the OUTBACK Disco which was situated in the building directly across from the Picasso Club in Buchanan street. The owner was a wee Australian guy(thus the name Outback) called Mike. It was a death trap,on the top floor at the top of 3 flights of stairs. God forbid if a fire ever broke out it would have been bedlam,but luckily that never happened. And in those days health&safety meant dont drink too much and dont get into a fight. The Outback was the first disco to have go-go dancers. We had 2 go-go dancers who performed their routines on a very small arced corner stage and I can remember that one of the girls came from Coatbridge,and both where very nice and lovely girls. I also frequented the LUNAR 7 pub before going to work in the Outback. I dj`d in the Outback for the about 6 months and left in mid 1968. And me and my pals immediately started going to Joanna`s which had been on the go for about 2 years. I got to know the female DJ. Often we chatted about the music scene etc. When we weren`t chatting she used to sit either reading a book or knitting and only stopping to put on the next record. She told me she was the "Joanna" who wrote the problem page of the same name in the Sunday Post and that`s how Joanna`s got it`s name. Later she told me she was moving to Australia(but I cannot remember if she actually did) and would I like the djing job when she leaves. I said that would would so cool. And only a few a weeks later on Friday 8th Nov(10 days before my birthday)at 9pm on a very frosty night the manager,who at that time was Mike Smith,called my house in a panic asking if I could please come in a.s.a.p as the dj was a bit under the weather due to all the drinks people were buying her because this was her last Friday before leaving(obviously she forgot to tell me). Anyway my dad ran me in to Bath Street(I lived in Pollok). The dj said she had put out 20 records in order which to play them,then it was upto me. But when I got in there was only a couple left and Big Tam the bouncer,who had been doing his best to keep the music going,was in a sweat. He was delighted to see me so he could get out of get the dj box lol. And that was my FIRST night in Joanna`s. At the end of the night,the manager(Mike Smith)asked me if I would like to come in through the week for an audition for the job. I said..."Mike you MUST BE KIDDING,I have just been thrown in at the deep-end,and kept the BEST disco in the country going for the past 3 hours and MORE importantly kept the floor packed all night,so that WAS my audtion". He said aye your right Joe,can you start next weekend and do Friday and Saturday nights?. My answer was NEVER in any doubt. But I said I must have a microphone,which he answered with...what for?...only radio dj`s use a mike. I just smiled and he got me a mike the next day. In fact I think I was the first dj to use a mike,although I`m not 100% sure,but I cannot remember hearing anyone else using one in any other disco. I DO know I was the first DJ to turn down the music and let the dancers sing the next verse on their own without the music,while also asking them to stamp their feet,which they certainly did(what a rackett lol). And why I know this is because I vividly remember a well known DJ who is still on Radio saying to me quite snobbishly..."You can`t turn the music down when the punters are dancing". I wont tell you what I said back to him. I think it was just sour grapes as he hadn`t thought of it before me. Mike Smith left around late `69 early `70 to manage another one of Pleasureama`s(Joannas owners)disco`s. I think it was in Falkirk, but I can`t remember for sure. Anyway Cathie Campbell then became the new manageress which she held until it closed down in 1974,after the fire. I still have the original copy of the Walker Brothers Joanna that was played EVERY night as the the last record or "Lumber Number" as I christened it lol. Those WERE the days!!!!.
I could write a book about JOANNA`S...THE BEST DISCO IN SCOTLAND!!!
Joe Stringfellow(joannas DJ Nov 1968-1974) :-)))

+Quote Post
doctor
post 25th Sep 2013, 05:26pm
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,435
Hi Joe
what is your wife's maiden name who was a waitress in Joannas
My wife also a Joannas waitress then barmaid was Irene Holland.
Lorna Haining was best maid at our wedding

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 17th Dec 2013, 10:13pm
Post #35

Hi guys I have got tickets for Joannas 1976.

+Quote Post
*mary campbell*
post 17th Jan 2014, 08:51pm
Post #36

QUOTE (doctor @ 25th Sep 2013, 05:43pm) *
Hi Joe

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 25th Feb 2014, 02:35am
Post #37

Hi Joe, what was the name of the waitress you married?
Tommy talks fondly of his time there as a barman.
I knew him from going there but we didn't meet properly until November 1974 when I went up to him at a house party, fairly drunk, and said, "you worked in Joanna's!", and the rest is history biggrin.gif

We've been married 35 years this May.

+Quote Post
*Frank Adams*
post 2nd Apr 2014, 09:47pm
Post #38

I was manager of Joannas for probably less than a year. Can't remember exact year but it was early 70's.

Remember Joanna who also wrote a column in the Sunday Post. She included me in one of her articles which I think was about what the attributes of what an ideal girl friend would be. Mike Smith who hired me was a director of Pleasurama at the time.

I introduced live bands midweek when the place was dead. Geno Washington & the Ram Jam Band appeared. I also instigated Sunday opening for a while. Because drinks could not be served on Sundays it attracted younger punters but they were a bit of a nightmare.
At one point the waitresses were dressed in some ridiculous slinky dresses that my mother in fact made for them. I think we were trying to emulate the Playboy club or something.

Eventually I was gotten rid of by Mike Smith who had instructed me to fire a bouncer ( can't remember why) but I have always been crap at firing people.

I eventually went on to open my own music shop in London which lasted thirty years but firing people was still a weakness I never got over.
I do still have fond memories of Joannas although I was never given much of a free reign by Mike Smith or the manageress of the Albert ballroom above who was also my boss.

+Quote Post
**bernie**
post 23rd Apr 2015, 01:35pm
Post #39

QUOTE (Joannas DJ @ 4th Mar 2012, 11:27pm) *
Hello everyone. I was the DJ at Joannas from Nov 1969 until Mid 1980(apart from a 3 month period between Dec 1973-March 1974). I worked Friday and Saturday nights. JOANNAS was situated underneath the Albert ballroom on Bath Street. The spot is now home to Tennents Lager building. Anyway I first started djing at the Outback club which was situated on the top floor of the building directly across from the Picasso Club in Buchanan street. The owner was a wee Australian guy called Mike. It was a death trap with 3 flights of stairs the ONLY escape should a fire break out,but luckily that never happened. And anyway in those days "safety" was the furthest thing from anybodys mind. I also remember in the Outback we had 2 go-go dancers,and I can remember that one came from Coatbridge,and yours trully being from Pollok,Coatbridge was the other side of the world. I frequented the LUNAR 7 pub for a pint before going in to work in Outback. I left there in the summer of 1969 because my pals were all going enjoying themselves while I was working. And immediately we started going to Joannas. The dj was a girl who used to sit either reading a book or knitting. I got chatting with her about music etc. And each week we had a wee natter about new record releases. Then in late 1969,she informed me she was moving to Australia and would I like the djing job in Joannas when she leaves. Without a seconds hesitation I said You Bet!!!. And 2 weeks later on a very frosty November Friday night at 9.00pm the manager,who at that time was Mike Smith,and whom I had also got to know,called my house in a panic saying...Joe can come in as quick as possible,the dj was is a bit under the weather,because of all the drinks people were buying her,as she was leaving the next weekend. My dad ran me in to Bath Street. The dj, being a bit worse for wear,said she had left me 10 records to play in order,then it was upto me. Big Tam the bouncer was in a sweat trying to keep the music going.I can still remember his face when I walked in. He was delighted to get out the dj box. After the night ended,the manager(Mike Smith)asked me if I would like to come in through the week for an audition for the djing job. I said Mike, ARE YOU KIDDING???. "I have just been thrown in at the deep-end,and kept the BEST club in Glasgow going for the past 3 hours without a hitch,and a type of dj equipment I had never used before,but more important,I kept the floor packed all night,so that WAS my audtion". He said aye your right Joe,can you do Friday and Saturday nights starting from next weekend?. My answer was "NO PROBLEMS MIKE, BUT get me a microphone, which he promptly did. In fact I think I was the first dj to use a mike,because I cannot remember hearing anyone else using one in any other club,but not sure?. And not long after starting in Joannas, Mike left to manage one of Pleasureama`s(Joannas owners)other clubs. I think it was in Falkirk,but I cannot remember for sure where it was. And Cathie Campbell became the new manageress of Joannas, which she held until it closed down in 1982/3?. I still have the ORIGINAL copy of the Walker Brothers Joanna,that was played EVERY night as the the last record. Or "Lumber" number as I christened it.
Those WERE the days!!!!.

Brilliant reminisces . Thanks!!!

+Quote Post
**Gercram**
post 28th Apr 2015, 09:49pm
Post #40

QUOTE (joan wheatley @ 11th May 2012, 10:57pm) *
Do you remember a song that was played towards the end of the evening (slow number) by Nina Simone or someone like her? Loved the song but never found out what it was called.

Ella Fitzgerald

Every time we say goodbye

I played it on Monday nights

Gerry

+Quote Post
*Rob Debance*
post 1st Dec 2015, 11:17am
Post #41

I remember the DJ used to play Billy 's Bag by Billy Preston in the background, when he was telling the punters about anything.

I remember a couple used to be there most Saturday nights and they both wore black suits. They were great to watch when they did "The Bump" to Nutbush City Limits or a couple of Alvin Stardust songs.

I remember the Albert Dance Hall above went on fire and Joanna's was flooded with all the water from the fire hoses.

Great place it was.

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 12th Feb 2016, 11:22pm
Post #42

Visitor
QUOTE (doctor @ 25th Sep 2013, 05:34pm) *
Hi Joe

Her maiden name was Braes. Valerie Braes...sorry but I have been off computer for years and just saw your question. Tell Tommy big Joe said Hello!!

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 13th Feb 2016, 12:29am
Post #43

Visitor
QUOTE (Joannas DJ @ 4th Mar 2012, 11:18pm) *
Hello everyone.
I have not been on for a few years but I was playing my Motown record over past few days and they
brought great memories back for me in Joannas. So decided to get back on here to chat with any
Joannites who feqented the club.
I was the DJ at Joannas from Nov 1968 until 1978.
I worked Friday and Saturday nights. JOANNAS was situated underneath the Albert ballroom on
Bath Street. The spot is now home to Tennents Lager building.
Anyway I first started djing at the Outback club which was situated on the top floor of the building
directly across from the Picasso Club in Buchanan street.
The owner was a wee Australian guy called Mike. It was a death trap with 3 flights of stairs the
ONLY escape should a fire break out,but luckily that never happened.
And anyway in those days "safety" was the furthest thing from anybodys mind.
I also remember in the Outback we had 2 go-go dancers,and I can remember that one came
from Coatbridge,and yours trully being from Pollok,Coatbridge was the other side of the world.
I frequented the LUNAR 7 pub for a pint before going in to work in Outback.
I left there in the summer of 1969 because my pals were all going enjoying themselves while I was
working. And immediately we started going to Joannas.
The dj was a girl who used to sit either reading a book or knitting. I got chatting with her about
music etc. And each week we had a wee natter about new record releases. Then in late 1968
she informed me she was moving to Australia and would I like the djing job in Joannas when she
leaves. Without a seconds hesitation I said You Bet!!!. And 2 weeks later on a very frosty November
Friday night at 9.00pm the manager,who at that time was Mike Smith,and whom I had also got to
know,called my house in a panic saying...Joe can come in as quick as possible,the dj was is a bit
under the weather,because of all the drinks people were buying her,as she was leaving the next
weekend. My dad ran me in to Bath Street. The dj, being a bit worse for wear,said she had left me
10 records to play in order,then it was upto me. Big Tam the bouncer was in a sweat trying to keep
the music going.I can still remember his face when I walked in. He was delighted to get out the dj box
After the night ended,the manager(Mike Smith)asked me if I would like to come in through the week
for an audition for the djing job. I said Mike, ARE YOU KIDDING???.
"I have just been thrown in at the deep-end,and kept the BEST club in Glasgow going for the past
3 hours without a hitch,and a type of dj equipment I had never used before,but more important,
I kept the floor packed all night,so that WAS my audtion". He said aye your right Joe,can you do
Friday and Saturday nights starting from next weekend?. My answer was "NO PROBLEMS MIKE.
BUT get me a microphone, which he promptly did. In fact I think I was the first dj to use a mike,
because I cannot remember hearing anyone else using one in any other club,but not sure?.
And not long after starting in Joannas, Mike left to manage one of Pleasureama`s(Joannas owners)
other clubs. I think it was in Falkirk,but I cannot remember for sure where it was.
And Cathie Campbell became the new manageress of Joannas, which she held until it closed down.
I still have the ORIGINAL copy of the Walker Brothers Joanna,that was played EVERY night as the
last record. Or "Lumber" number as I christened it.
Those WERE the days!!!!.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 13th Feb 2016, 07:44pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
A real nice read Joe!...yea' betcha' could write a book!...lol

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 27th Apr 2016, 10:28pm
Post #45

Visitor
[quote name='wellfield' date='13th Feb 2016, 08:44pm' post='3712590']
A real nice read Joe!...yea' betcha' could write a book!...lol
[/quote

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.