Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clouds Disco
kenomeat
post 3rd Dec 2009, 01:18pm
Post #16

Visitor
Member No.: 7,794
T1.... total memory block there. I remember the others plus His Nibs, The Norsk, Corn Exchange and was it The Maggie???

Used to be grand on a Saturday night. Somewhere about 77/78 we were doing our best to still try and get get into town on the train as a half. From Charing Cross station we walked up to the Norsk where they were pretty cool with us downstairs for one or two pints and a SoCo (even sometimes asking us to go for a wee walk while they were checked by the police... on coming back our drinks were always returned to us!) then over to Shuffles trying to avoid smelling of drink to get in. Never got knocked back or anything, but then again never totally drunk or out of it.

Question is, does anyone else rememeber the "special" at shuffles, a skoosh of each flavour topped up with milk? Makes me wonder what we were playing at... from memory it was a sludgy gank colour, but it tasted oh so good!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
doc4655
post 3rd Dec 2009, 02:49pm
Post #17

Settling In
Member No.: 7,589
Cant say I remember the Norsk or Shuffles - Terminal One was around 73/74 ( St Enochs Squ.) It was a great place. Hows about a bit on the Muscular Arms - had a wee part time job there on Fri/Sat nights - it was the place to be back then in the early 70s. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 3rd Dec 2009, 04:00pm
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
T1 previous thread

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/Glasgow-...ure-t16276.html

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 4th Dec 2009, 10:39pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
AYE IT CERTAINLY WAS LASS, I REMEMBER GAUN DOON THE DIAL INN ON A SATURDAY AFTERNOON FUR A WEE BIT O JAZZ. THE SCOTIA WAS GREAT WHEN YI USED TI JIST GET AN IMPROMPTU SING SONG WI SOMEBODY WHO HUD A GUITAR OR BANJO OR WHATEVER, DOONSTAIRS AT THE DOUNE CASTLE AS PUMPS SAYS, FUR THE MUSIC, A GOOD FOLK SCENE.

" THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES " cool.gif

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 5th Dec 2009, 12:00am
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
Dear No 64,

Are you hard of hearing? Was the Scotia bar not a drug den - that's what my mum told me. I much preferred the Wee Man (pub on corner of Clyde st and Stockwell St) as I used to work weekend at a car wash down the lane.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 5th Dec 2009, 12:29am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Who remembers a place called the Trianon Lounge/Bar, down town Glasgow. My two pals sang in there on the weekend Anne and Gina. Couldn't be better place for a bunch'a lassies oot the gether for a wee drink and singsong anywhere!!!
The atmosfere was simply brilliant, excietment and energy all night long. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
NKS kid
post 5th Dec 2009, 12:53am
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 5,427
I went to Clouds nearly every week with my friend. Always had a great time. Remember Slik playing there. We just loved dancing. Spent ages doing our make-up and hair and then sorting out what we would wear. After all the dancing, we would leave in that tiny lift and come out into the cold then head off to George Square for the midnight bus. More often than not, we missed it.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 5th Dec 2009, 10:56am
Post #23

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (NKS kid @ 5th Dec 2009, 12:51am) *
...then head off to George Square for the midnight bus...

The Late Night buses from George Square

Can anyone remember a wee 'special'* guy who would come on many of the buses (early 70's). He would have a tin can or mug which he would jingle about for tips walking up and down the bus aisle while playing the mouthorgan extremely badly.

One point for anyone who can remember this with a special bonus point for anyone who knew his name!

Regards

Ian

*probably downs syndrome

+Quote Post
kenomeat
post 6th Dec 2009, 11:10am
Post #24

Visitor
Member No.: 7,794
OK, no extra bonus points for me as I can't recall his name, but I do remember him well. A good wee bloke and yes, with Down's syndrome.
Used to see him doing do a similar wander through in the Dry Dock down in Scotstoun from time to time. I recall he also did a stint with a wee transister radio, but for the life of me I can't recall which was first, the radio or mouth organ... used to joke that the proceeds from one had paid for the other

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 6th Dec 2009, 11:15am
Post #25

Super City Key Holder
Well done Kenomeat you get the full points for remembering the wee transistor.

His name (which you will know) was James (Jaimsie) Barr and I think he lived in Scotstoun on Dumbarton Rd (correction actually Kelso St, so Yoker).

Prize will be a slap up dinner in The Smugglers (NOT!)

Best regards

Ian

+Quote Post
**Heather**
post 17th Aug 2011, 02:45am
Post #26

QUOTE (doc4655 @ 12th Oct 2009, 05:41pm) *
does anyone remember where Clouds Disco was. I spent many a happy night there - I have a feeling that Gary glitter and his band played there one Xmas in the early 70s- would I be right.

You are correct, I used to work at Clouds and Gary Glitter, Elton John, the Bay City Rollers and others all played there before they got famous!

+Quote Post
*Donnie*
post 29th Apr 2012, 12:30am
Post #27

QUOTE (doc4655 @ 3rd Dec 2009, 12:27am) *
yeah, happy memories of Terminal One too - hows about a few wee stories from back in the day biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

met my future wife in the T 1 ex now unfortunately you only learn as you get older but i had some wonderful times in there went every weekend 10pm till 4am carlsberg 4% only drink you could buy food was generally pie and beans or a sausage roll but the music was the best started my dj career there too

+Quote Post
*John Bennett*
post 19th Mar 2014, 10:15am
Post #28

QUOTE (Donnie @ 29th Apr 2012, 12:47am) *
met my future wife in the T 1 ex now unfortunately you only learn as you get older but i had some wonderful times in there went every weekend 10pm till 4am carlsberg 4% only drink you could buy food was generally pie and beans or a sausage roll but the music was the best started my dj career there too

+Quote Post
*cessy*
post 17th Apr 2014, 01:06pm
Post #29

QUOTE (pumps100 @ 6th Dec 2009, 11:32am) *
Well done Kenomeat you get the full points for remembering the wee transistor.

His name (which you will know) was James (Jaimsie) Barr and I think he lived in Scotstoun on Dumbarton Rd (correction actually Kelso St, so Yoker).

Prize will be a slap up dinner in The Smugglers (NOT!)

Best regards

Ian

+Quote Post
stu53
post 3rd May 2016, 10:15pm
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,879
Yes I knew the Clouds dance hall back in the 70s, great nights there, I built the inside of the hall in 3D,
and made up figures in a program called iClone Pro 6, made up some dance moves for my figures, hope it brings
back memories for some you,

Here is my link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpYuIJqLCQM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.