Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wilson's Zoo On Oswald Street
wellfield
post 11th Oct 2010, 02:14am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
I remember bringing wee chicks and goldfish back fae' there.....Christ..ye' were lucky if they lasted the ride on the bus till ye got hame!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 11th Oct 2010, 02:49am
Post #17

Resident
Member No.: 546
A pal o' mine, Jimmy Ferguson, fae Balornock, used tae work in the "Oswald St Zoo" an' we'd go doon oan a Seterday, wee brothers in tow an' watch the 'gumsie Lion' pee oan folk an' roar like "The King of The Jungle" bit it wiss mair like an' auld 'wino' fau'in ootta "The Jungle" pub, LMFAO!
Poor auld beastie, it wissin it's ain' Bar-L cell. The place used tae stink an' yet, when ye wurr young? ye imagined aw kinds`a "Nyoka The Juhngle Girl" stunts wae that Lion, as if it wissin darkest Africa.
Many a wain hudd that auld lion tae thank furr scaring the beejabbers out o' thaim when it let oot that 'RUFF! RUFF! ROOOOOO'AAAAAR! Mammy! Daddy! let me oot! runnin`up Hope St. like the `clappers`ha! ha! we wiss lucky eh?

Sumday said their 'cuzzin' used tae work therr, wizzit "Wee Jimmy" pal??

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post
klingon
post 3rd Jun 2011, 11:38pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
The lion was called "Rajah" and he was so old he had no teeth!-Andy Wilson used to feed him with buckets of mince!-the zoo moved to Carlton Place in the 60@s and shut down after a few years due to the DWA acts-(Dangerous wild animals) coming in and finally Wilsons ended up with a wee pet shop in the Trongate which has just closed in the last year or two

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 4th Jun 2011, 07:03am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Jimmuck @ 11th Oct 2010, 12:57pm) *
A pal o' mine, Jimmy Ferguson, fae Balornock, used tae work in the "Oswald St Zoo" an' we'd go doon oan a Seterday, wee brothers in tow an' watch the 'gumsie Lion' pee oan folk an' roar like "The King of The Jungle" bit it wiss mair like an' auld 'wino' fau'in ootta "The Jungle" pub, LMFAO!
Poor auld beastie, it wissin it's ain' Bar-L cell. The place used tae stink an' yet, when ye wurr young? ye imagined aw kinds`a "Nyoka The Juhngle Girl" stunts wae that Lion, as if it wissin darkest Africa.
Many a wain hudd that auld lion tae thank furr scaring the beejabbers out o' thaim when it let oot that 'RUFF! RUFF! ROOOOOO'AAAAAR! Mammy! Daddy! let me oot! runnin`up Hope St. like the `clappers`ha! ha! we wiss lucky eh?

Sumday said their 'cuzzin' used tae work therr, wizzit "Wee Jimmy" pal??

A' fur wan loved yon lion and think of him as bein' the wan thing that gave me a love of all wild animals. Never scared o' him and loved tae hear him roar.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 4th Jun 2011, 07:07am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (klingon @ 4th Jun 2011, 09:46am) *
The lion was called "Rajah" and he was so old he had no teeth!-Andy Wilson used to feed him with buckets of mince!-the zoo moved to Carlton Place in the 60@s and shut down after a few years due to the DWA acts-(Dangerous wild animals) coming in and finally Wilsons ended up with a wee pet shop in the Trongate which has just closed in the last year or two

How old would Mr Wilson have been? I remember him as being old back in the 50s.
Whaur is Paisley wee???. I used tae drink in Harveys bar in the late 60s. Is it still there????

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 4th Jun 2011, 01:50pm
Post #21

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,122
I remember they had monkeys, and they would snatch at visitors hats.

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 5th Jun 2011, 03:29am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ionnsaigh @ 4th Jun 2011, 11:58pm) *
I remember they had monkeys, and they would snatch at visitors hats.

Took ma sailors hat an' when my ma' bent doon tae retrieve it they grabbed her scarf but as her hair wis still in it we had tae get the keeper tae belt the monkey back tae his perch. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
*Jan (N.Z)*
post 21st Mar 2012, 11:02pm
Post #23

My daddy used to breed dogs and he used to send me to the zoo to pick up horse flesh, that was the treat for the dogs otherwise they had sheep's head (heed).

+Quote Post
*Aimee24*
post 6th Jun 2012, 02:12pm
Post #24

QUOTE (George Muir @ 19th Feb 2009, 06:12am) *
Agnes and Robert, here's an old picture of that intersection

[attachment=14275:zoo.jpg]

It would be great to speak with someone about where this image is from archive wise?
I'm currently working on a series for Sky Atlantic called 'City Secrets' and we are due to be filming out Glasgow episode very soon - I would love to try and source this image to use to support our feature?

Please get in touch - aimee.johnston@twofour.co.uk

Thanks,
aimee

+Quote Post
weelew
post 12th Jul 2012, 11:07pm
Post #25

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
QUOTE (klingon @ 4th Jun 2011, 01:53am) *

I remember going to the zoo many times with my Dad when it was in Oswald street and Carlton place , the Wilsons did indeed end up in a pet shop ,but it was in the Saltmarket .It was called Bert Wilsons who i suppose was the son of the zoo owners .My father was very friendly with Bert as he bred cage birds and every Saturday we would go to the pet shop .My Father and Bert would stay in the shop talking about budgies,canaries and all sorts of birds while i was allowed to go down to the cellar below the shop where he had a big bath full of goldfish .There was hundreds in it and i would sit and watch their antics Bert also owned the other pet shop across the street just at the raiway bridge .His wife and son ran that one for years . Great days .

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 13th Jul 2012, 07:06am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
the only thing ah remember aboot wilsons zoo was the smell. it was awful and the smell stuck on yur clothes all day. when i got back hame my mother would pull all my clothes aff and stick them in a big bucket of water then make me get washed ohmy.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 13th Jul 2012, 07:42am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
The smell is my main memory of Wilsons Zoo also.

I did not know about the one in Carlton Place. !

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
benny
post 13th Jul 2012, 07:56pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
If aw the weans reacted tae the roarin lion the way ah did it's nae surprise that the zoo smelled. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
**big les glasgow**
post 7th Sep 2012, 09:31pm
Post #29

QUOTE (tombro @ 19th Feb 2009, 12:20pm) *
I've answered this on other forums.

One day in the late 1950's my Granny, who lived in Crimea Street (off Carrick Street about a mile along Argyle Street towards Anderston Cross) itook my brother and me to the zoo in Oswald Street.

I remember it being dark and gloomy and I remember the lion in its cage.

Lately I've seen (on this and other sites) various pics of that corner of Argyle Street and Oswald Street but don't remember any amusements.

Tombro huh.gif

Yes Tombro during the war there was between Wilsons Zoo and the Central Bridge where the AA used to have ther offices an amusment parlour and I remember me pleading with my mother to take me in to see "The Fat Lady" which she did and here was this "Big Wummin" as Josie called her complete with 2 cheeks like in the GLASGOW UNDERGROUND song in a kinda bathing costume she must have been 30 stone and my mother got on the chat with her and I remember her telling me afterwards she was a poor soul!!! Memories are coming flooding back!!! ... Funny iI can remember all those days like yesterday and cant remember the day of the week it is!!!!

+Quote Post
*tam srevenson*
post 13th Apr 2014, 09:38pm
Post #30

Theres a story in my family about my mad uncle jimmy stealing the lion from that zoo. Anybody remember this to be true !?!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.