Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jazz Jazz Jazz, Jazz clubs in Glasgow
bishn'blips
post 28th Jan 2009, 08:20pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,468
Does anyone remember going to the jazz clubs in Glasgow in the 50's such as The Esquire in Scott Street and the Cave somewhere off Jamaica Street?

I used to go and watch the trad bands - fabulous. Would love to hear of more of those days as my memory won't take me back that far.

Fiona DUNCAN, Alex WELSH etc.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 28th Jan 2009, 11:44pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Did the Esquire become the Maryland and was the Cave not in Midland Street.

+Quote Post
bishn'blips
post 29th Jan 2009, 09:58am
Post #3

Unpacking
Now you've got me thinking. Was it Maryland before it was Esquire? And, yes, it was indeed Midland Street for The Cave.

I used to go to these jazz clubs on my own - female in my 20's - if I couldn't get anyone to go with me. I used to sit and listen to the fabulous music all evening and then head back up to Renfrew Street for the last bus home. Heavens, I must have been mad.

I've also remembered George PENMAN's Jazz band. Any more names?

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 29th Jan 2009, 01:11pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
The Steadfast Jazz Band. They used to play in the basement of the Iona Community which I think was on Clyde Street.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 29th Jan 2009, 06:47pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
It is the Maryland in Scott Street that I well remember. Och ah was only a wee lassie then and thought that we were so cool going there. smile.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Jan 2009, 07:15pm
Post #6

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi bishn'blips, unfortunately I don't know anything about performers at Jazz Clubs in Glasgow in the 50s, but thought I would do a bit of a check as there does not seem to be much info available on the web. Here's some short extracts I found from recent newspapers which may help you step back in time....

From a (Herald) newspaper tribute to Matthew (Matt) McInnes, the former depute head at Claremont High in East Kilbride and a well-known traditional jazz trombonist, who died this year, aged 67:
Matt was probably best known, however, as a musician. He started playing trombone when at Govan High and was a member of the Glasgow Schools' Orchestra. He developed a love of traditional jazz and in 1959, while still at school, formed his own band, the Bourbon Jazz Band. He then went on to play with The West Coast Jazzmen, The Brown Derby Jazz Band, The Alex Dalgleish All Stars and Jeannie Maxwell and the Jazzwegians. He was a member of the Kit Carey band from 1985 to 2003 and finished his jazz career with The George Penman Jazz Band. He also played guitar in a big band and was part of a five-trombone group.

A similar tribute to Maggie Mann who died in 2006:
Maggie Mercer Mann made her debut as a jazz singer at the Tudor Ballroom, Giffnock, in 1958 and went on to become a well-known and much-loved performer at venues throughout Glasgow and beyond. She was just 16 when she took to the stage with the Evening Times columnist Larry Kilgannon's Band, and it was clear straight away that she had a flair for entertainment.... The Locarno Ballroom in Sauchiehall Street became a regular venue where jazz aficionados could hear Maggie sing with Tony Brooks Band. It was here that she met and fell in love with her husband, Jimmy Mann, a respected and in-demand trombone player.

From a Kenny Mathieson obituary in The Scotsman, born 18 September 1934 in Glasgow, died 25 January 1997, in Glasgow, aged 62:
He had been playing with dance bands such as The Rhythmaires in Glasgow even before his stint in the forces, and after his demobilisation he returned to the city, where he began to build a substantial reputation on the local jazz and dance-band scene. He was a member of both the Stateside Jazz Band and the Vernon Jazz Band, both of whom won the Scottish National Jazz Band Championships in 1956 and 1958 respectively.

He formed the first of many bands under the name the Alex Dalgleish All-Stars in 1960, patterned on Louis Armstrong's famous eponymous units. He broke up the band in 1961, and moved to London to link up with another well-known Scottish jazz musician when he became a member of Forrie Cairns's Clansmen.

His rich, sharp-edged tone and thorough command of the traditional jazz idiom was by now much in demand. He left the Clansmen to link up with the celebrated Glasgow outfit the Clyde Valley Stompers in 1963, then returned to London to play under the leadership of clarinettist Terry Lightfoot in 1964, touring in the United States with that band.

Anoter article about Kenny included:
"He freelanced in the studios and in stage bands in the early Fifties, then joined the BBC Show Band in 1952, remaining a member until 1957. At the same time, he played regularly in a more overt jazz setting with Kenny Baker's Dozen, and continued to freelance with a variety of bands."

And another about Kenny:
"I've always believed that Scotland has produced an unusually high number of jazz musicians per head of population. I wanted to use this opportunity to take a chronological look at the music, featuring people like George Chisholm, Alex Welsh, Sandy Brown, Carol Kidd, Fionna Duncan, Joe Temperley and Tommy Smith."

An article about Fiona Duncan:
Fionna Duncan turned down a "contract of a lifetime" with a top American recording company when she was 18. As Alison Kerr reports, it has been no obstacle to her singing career.... Back in Glasgow, she picked up from where she had left off. She began singing with the Joe Gordon Folk Four on radio's Saturday Club, before being recruited into the jazz-playing Clyde Valley Stompers. Obviously able to turn her voice to both folk and jazz, Duncan claims she had "no particular style" in those days. At the age of 20, she went to London; not exactly sure what she'd do when she got there, but probably not expecting to be working behind the cold meats counter of Woolworths on Oxford Street.

In an article about the performances of the Scottish Jazz All Stars:
...they're sure to rekindle memories of Scotland's trad jazz glory days when Alex Welsh, Sandy Brown and the Clyde Valley Stompers - bands and musicians they were all involved with - reigned supreme. With Dave Batchelor (trombone), Brian Kellock (piano) and John Rae (drums) adding their youthful input, the All Stars aim to play music of the jazz tradition with the panache of 2004.

Hope these help.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Jan 2009, 07:20pm
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
This page may be of interest:

http://www.cliffhanley.co.uk/page24.html

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
bishn'blips
post 30th Jan 2009, 07:16pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Wonderful, wonderful memories of Maryland and jazz in Glasgow - Steadfast and Clyde Valley Stompers, the West Coast, Alex Dalgleish. And what about Fionna Duncan and Salty Dog - fantastic.

Nothing like it and not to mention September weekend at Arran with trad jazz playing everywhere. Wow, I'm seventeen again!!!!

Thank you for those snippets GG and for the website. I didn't know of the death of the club. How sad.

My dad played trumpet in a danceband and he used to gig at the Oddfellows Hall in Springburn in the 50's.

Thank you all for this fantastic trip down memory lane. I'll dine on this for weeks.

Incidently, Jim Mullen played a gig at a local pub, here in Kent, a few years ago. Dick Morrissey, his partner in If, arranged a fabulous night to remember.

Right, I'm off to see if I can find some CDs on the net of those bands I remember from those magic times.

All the best.

+Quote Post
ayemibbe
post 1st Feb 2009, 09:52pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,898
anyone ever see the edmundo ros band? i can remember him giving me ( age maybe 3 or 4) a pair of marracas to play with at a rehearsal somewhere. i don't know whether my dad was actually playing in the ros orchestra or his own band was supporting.
does "the dave jenkins all stars" ring any bells with anyone? i know he played on the larry marshall one o' clock gang show once, possibly in the alex dalgleish all stars then. as other people seem to have discovered, there's very little to be found on the web about the scottish jazz scene of the pre internet for the masses era.

and that cliff hanley man, did he have a father of the same name?

ps, this is my first post, thanks to the management for sending me a reminder that i'd joined GG 3 years go. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 1st Feb 2009, 11:09pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ayemibbe @ 1st Feb 2009, 10:39pm) *
and that cliff hanley man, did he have a father of the same name?

ps, this is my first post, thanks to the management for sending me a reminder that i'd joined GG 3 years go. smile.gif

Yes he did although his father tended to refer to him as Clifford. Young Cliff or Cliff jr also painted some murals for the Burns Howf.

+Quote Post
ayemibbe
post 1st Feb 2009, 11:27pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,898
i've been away from glasgow for a long time but i seem to remember the old cliff .

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 2nd Feb 2009, 11:15pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Cliff Hanley

Cliff Hanley

+Quote Post
Elma
post 3rd Feb 2009, 02:05am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I met Cliff Hanley Sr. once. I worked in Stow College of Engineering and he came in to interview the Principal, Dr. Cormack. He was charming and most interested in us in the office and what we did, I was in charge of all the City and Guilds examinations and the payroll for all the Janitors and cleaners.

+Quote Post
Stillroom
post 27th Feb 2010, 10:32pm
Post #14

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
QUOTE (bishn'blips @ 28th Jan 2009, 08:18pm) *
Does anyone remember going to the jazz clubs in Glasgow in the 50's such as The Esquire in Scott Street and the Cave somewhere off Jamaica Street?

I used to go and watch the trad bands - fabulous. Would love to hear of more of those days as my memory won't take me back that far.

Fiona DUNCAN, Alex WELSH etc.

I remember the cave, it was under the railway arch just off Jamaica Street, that would be about 1963 and Paul Greco! was the manager, his girlfriend was a friend and his cousin was my boyfriend, I think that was where I saw Alex Harvey

--------------------
Katie Bairdie

+Quote Post
**cathy**
post 22nd Jun 2010, 09:05pm
Post #15

At the cave Les Harvey and the Kinningpark Ramblers played most Saturday nights along with their girl singers one of whom was Maggie Bell. and myself. n Also Alex Harvey played, Joe Brown, Mary Wilde and various others. It was the place to be on a Saturday night. Good memories

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.