Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sean Connery Documentary Info Please, Downfall of the Scottish Shipyards
Oldsmiddy
post 9th Jul 2008, 03:45am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 5,846
Hello, anybody heard of the documentary film narrated by Sean Connery about the demise of the Scottish shipbuilding industry ? I think it was called "From Bunnets To Bowlers" or something like that, would like to be able to purchase this, if it is available on DVD.
I left Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, 46 years ago, now living in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 9th Jul 2008, 06:14am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (Oldsmiddy @ 8th Jul 2008, 09:02 PM) *
Hello, anybody heard of the documentary film narrated by Sean Connery about the demise of the Scottish shipbuilding industry ? I think it was called "From Bunnets To Bowlers" or something like that, would like to be able to purchase this, if it is available on DVD.
I left Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, 46 years ago, now living in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.
Wouldn't mind seeing that myself Oldsmiddy.---Good luck

+Quote Post
Java
post 9th Jul 2008, 06:41am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Hiya biggrin.gif

From a quick search, the title seems to be The Bowler and the Bunnet, from 1969. Can't find anywhere to buy it unfortunately.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 9th Jul 2008, 06:58am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
Welcome to the boards Oldsmiddy smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
Oldsmiddy
post 9th Jul 2008, 12:05pm
Post #5

Visitor
Thank you, Anne 1, Ed

+Quote Post
Oldsmiddy
post 9th Jul 2008, 12:08pm
Post #6

Visitor
Thanks Java for that info, now I have something to work from, appreciate that, Ed

+Quote Post
Oldsmiddy
post 9th Jul 2008, 12:10pm
Post #7

Visitor
Hello Wellfield, when I can get the info I need, I'll post it for sure, thanks, Ed

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 9th Jul 2008, 04:49pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Oldsmiddy,I spent all my working life working on the waterfront and shipyards in Los Angeles.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 9th Jul 2008, 05:39pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I'm sure a friend of our 's had that taped on the old tapes.Is it (VHS YOU CALL IT. ) Let me check this week end for you .

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Oldsmiddy
post 9th Jul 2008, 06:12pm
Post #10

Visitor
Thanks Isobel, in the meantime I'm going to check out Amazon to see if they have a DVD available. Ed

+Quote Post
Oldsmiddy
post 9th Jul 2008, 06:17pm
Post #11

Visitor
Hello Wellfield, I spent 6 years of my life sailing those things, oil tankers, that is, two of them were built in the States, they were the T2SEA1 class.
perhaps you know of them, they were built in the early 40's in various U.S. shipyards. I was an engineer officer, beam me up Scotty ! Ed

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 9th Jul 2008, 08:10pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Oldsmiddy @ 9th Jul 2008, 11:34 AM) *
Hello Wellfield, I spent 6 years of my life sailing those things, oil tankers, that is, two of them were built in the States, they were the T2SEA1 class.
perhaps you know of them, they were built in the early 40's in various U.S. shipyards. I was an engineer officer, beam me up Scotty ! Ed
Aye Oldsmiddy,the early built T2s were famous for breaking their back an splitting in two,that's when they added the strongback port and starboard that ran the length of the ship,Aye you were a brave man for sailing the T2 tankers---talking about going to sea--I've got my Dad's discharge papers form the "Clyde iron training ship" "Empress" (it was a former 4 masted Royal Navy Battle ship) dated 1914-1917 he went aboard at 14 years old!--Also recieved some amazing news from a cousin in Glasgow whose doing a Family history--he sent my Dad's papers and the ships manifest when he landed in New York as a young man--among other news was the crew and manifest aboard the flagship "VICTORY"at the Battle of Trafalgar,lo and behold,my Great,G,G,G,Grandfather was in the crew on that great battle,listed as "John Tuck,Marine drummer"

+Quote Post
Oldsmiddy
post 9th Jul 2008, 09:17pm
Post #13

Visitor
Hello Wellfield, a lot of these tankers were purchased after the war, & you're right, they were strengthened by running heavy plates along the decks, which slowed them down a little, they were built to out run the U-Boats, & could get speeds in excess of 22 knots, which was moving in those days. I had one of them doing 20 knots on the Chief Engineers instructions, to catch the tide for an early entry into Wallsend for drydock, nobody got any sleep that night, the old lady was doin' a lottta shakin', had a difficult job keepin' the water in the boilers, as I remember. Ed

+Quote Post
Oldsmiddy
post 9th Jul 2008, 09:23pm
Post #14

Visitor
Hello Java, I thought your info would get me on the fast track to find a DVD on "The Bowler And The Bunnet" but I came to a brick wall, as you said, it was made & directed by Sean Connery in 1969 in black & white, but apparently there's no DVD available. I usually get lucky on "Amazon" for music & video searching, but there's no matches for that title.
Isobel says she'll check out some friends on the weekend, as she thinks they recorded it from the TV on to VHS, she will let me know, thanks. Ed

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 14th Jul 2008, 02:39am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Well oldsmiddy sorry to tell you that Alan got rid of all the old tapes about a year ago when he moved, so sorry I could not help.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.