Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dancing In The Locarno.
glasgow lass
post 4th Mar 2008, 11:52pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
laugh.gif I can remember my mother telling me about how wonderful it was to get a night out at the Lacarno with her pal, not an easy task as she had to do all of the house work that day and take care of us before she was allowed out, she still has some photies of her going to the Lacarno, aw whit a classy dresser she was with her beautiful off the shoulder dresses , the ones with the big full skirt and her stilettos ,big chunky earings and with her Elizabeth Taylor short hair cut she was a knockout. wub.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 5th Mar 2008, 01:14am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
I absolutely loved the Locarno and thought it was the best dance hall in Glasgow. I used to go on a Monday night, a Thursday night, Saturday lunchtime session [dancing to the latest records] and Saturday night. [Not all these nights every week, just what I could afford]. They had the best bands, with the revolving bandstand, and the springiest dance floor. On a Saturday night two girls got in for the price of one before 8.00 p.m. I had some wonderful times in the Locarno and get very nostalgic thinking about it. Of all the Glasgow Dance Halls I think the Locarno had the best atmosphere and we didn't need a drink to enjoy ourselves [couldn't afford it anyway as I only earned £2.15/- per week which I gave to my mother and got 10/- pocket money. Those were the days. Sometimes I used to miss the last tram to Maryhill and thought nothing of walking home along St George's Road and up Maryhill Road as far as Shakespeare Street. Wouldn't do it now as I would be too afraid.

+Quote Post
JacquiG
post 5th Mar 2008, 03:45pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,454
Ok I hope this will help me find my friends my story about the Locarno got us in troube .I think it was around 1965. They decided to open at lunch time for the buisness guys in the area I think they were doing a lunch anyway a bunch of us from the local ballet school in Clairmont Gardens decided that would be a great place to meet the guys. they actually danced so ofcourse being dance kids we started our own dances we got everyone we could up to dance it became so popular the management encouraged us to keep coming of course it meant we missed our afternoon class .Then one day the tv cameras came and we endend up on the evening news thats when our teacher and parents found out we were dogging classes but if you think about it we were still dancing but alas the good time at the Locarno came to an end for us anyway.. Yes those were the days A cheap we bottle of I think it was called Lanolic between 6 of us before we went at night and trying to get in to the pubs at sixteen some time you did and some times you didn't Yes those were the days .

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 5th Mar 2008, 03:54pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
Welcome to the boards Jacqui hope you enjoy them when I went to locarno there was no booze at all but by the 60s they started searching the guys for booze so guys gave to girlfriends to bring it in, but no me a was a goody two shoes laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 5th Mar 2008, 06:36pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
Didn't go to the Locarno very often .Couldn't afford the tram fare both ways and the money to get in .Most of my dancing was done in the F&F or the Partick Borough Hall .
I did go to the 12:00 till 4:00 dances a couple of times but I was only allowed to go when my Daddy was home on leave and he would be outside waiting for me to take me home .

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 5th Mar 2008, 06:41pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Och ya poor wee soul Jakka. You don't know what you missed by not going to the Locarno. Anne [when you have finished polishing your halo, ha ha], you are right about the guys getting frisked but latterly so did the girls. I remember taking in a half bottle, tucked under my arm, for a guy I knew. Luckily I didn't get caught!! Oh happy days.

+Quote Post
mamie
post 25th Jun 2008, 08:43am
Post #22

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,364
maryhillgal... if you look back to post 15 you will find thenames of the band. george must have a better memory than a lot of us

+Quote Post
**John Manson**
post 27th Sep 2009, 05:14pm
Post #23

Dancin is it, yes the Locarno and the Palace in Denniston and the Lindela, what memories.
Do you remember the Macbeat contests in the Woodside halls, they were ran by the Daily Record I think.
We had the Beatstalkers, The Valiants(now there was a band) and many more. Who remembers these days, I still speak to Alan Mair, Bass Player with the Beatstalkers. Them were the days.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 21st Oct 2010, 02:22pm
Post #24

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
worse thing they ever did was change it over to Tyfannys, the made it like fancy club style and it lost all the atmoshphere it had as the Locarno..

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 7th Jun 2011, 10:56pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I am reading the wartime memoirs of a Canadian sailor who was stationed at Greenock. He gives glowing tributes to the great people of Renfrew and Glasgow who made him welcome.
This is a wee snippet .........

'Glasgow was a popular hangout for the Canadian Navy. It was then a big dirty seaport but we always felt quite welcome. The Lacarno Dance Hall was a favourite haunt where we were sure to find out what Canadian ships were in port. Surprisingly the Lacarno was a 'dry' dance hall but one of the best for dancing, the main part of the floor being built on springs. The 'no alcohol' rule was enforced at the door too. A hostess, in a fancy tux, stood guard with a cane which she used to tap pockets for concealed bottles. One night she tapped my jacket as usual and thought she had found a bottle. When she discovered it was a .45 Smith & Wesson she immediately checked it for me until I left.'
ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 8th Jun 2011, 02:54am
Post #26

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,556
The Locarno on a Thursday. Best bargain in Glasgow. Late 50s, early 60s, it was mobbed. It was only a couple of bob to get in and boy did you get your money's worth. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Jun 2011, 09:40am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
They had the best bands, with the revolving bandstand, and the springiest dance floor.

I knew I'd gone there a couple of times in the very early '60s but couldn't really remember until I read the above ... then it all came back to me biggrin.gif
That and the Greens Playhouse ... Big Time for a wee country boy. tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 9th Jun 2011, 03:43am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (JacquiG @ 6th Mar 2008, 01:53am) *
Ok I hope this will help me find my friends my story about the Locarno got us in troube .I think it was around 1965. They decided to open at lunch time for the buisness guys in the area I think they were doing a lunch anyway a bunch of us from the local ballet school in Clairmont Gardens decided that would be a great place to meet the guys. they actually danced so ofcourse being dance kids we started our own dances we got everyone we could up to dance it became so popular the management encouraged us to keep coming of course it meant we missed our afternoon class .Then one day the tv cameras came and we endend up on the evening news thats when our teacher and parents found out we were dogging classes but if you think about it we were still dancing but alas the good time at the Locarno came to an end for us anyway.. Yes those were the days A cheap we bottle of I think it was called Lanolic between 6 of us before we went at night and trying to get in to the pubs at sixteen some time you did and some times you didn't Yes those were the days .

Lanny was spelt with a Q, most popular " Glesga" beveridge with those who could not afford 4 Crown.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 9th Jun 2011, 07:45am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 9th Jun 2011, 05:51am) *
Lanny was spelt with a Q, most popular " Glesga" beveridge with those who could not afford 4 Crown.

Lanliq was indeed the spelling of that beverage. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
rbwilson49
post 9th Jun 2011, 08:32am
Post #30

Visitor
Member No.: 8,750
lanliq was for cheapscates,us sophisticated boys from possil drank old english white,it didnt taste like cats p --h dogs maybe who can remember anyway from the sixties.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.