Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dancing In The Locarno.
mamie
post 2nd Mar 2008, 09:44pm
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,364
ANYBODY OUT THERE REMBER THE LOCARNO, IN SAUCHALL STREEI. I WENT THERE THURSDAYS /SATURDAYS AROUND THE FIFTIES AND SIXTIES... I LOVED WHEN ERIC DELANEY CAME UP FROM LONDEN, HE PLAYED THE DRUMS I THINK HIS FAVORITE WAS SKIN DEEP, BUT I COULD BE WRONG, IF ANYBODY HAS ANY MEMORIES OF HIM DOING A SOLO YOU WILL REMEMBER HOW WE WOULD GATHER ROUND THE STAGE TILL WE GOT MORE AND MORE EXCITED WAITING FOR HIM TO REACH A CRESENDO, MAJIC I COULD LIVE THOSE DAYS ALL OVER AGAIN
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
betty2
post 2nd Mar 2008, 11:56pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
Those were the days rolleyes.gif Locarno was one of my haunts but mostly mondays and friday nights, in the late 50,s

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
stratson
post 3rd Mar 2008, 07:03am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
My first visit to the Locarno was New Years night12-4a.m. Jan 1st. 19 biggrin.gif 50. Was fantastic, being out all night, unheard of at that time. Can remember wearin' the "New Look" dress, with very high heeled red ankle strap shoes. Later to become a regular Thursday night event.. We had a great time.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Melody
post 3rd Mar 2008, 07:04am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Are ye dancin'? Ah'm askin'. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
stratson
post 3rd Mar 2008, 07:13am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Am dancin'! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 3rd Mar 2008, 09:04am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
those were the days eh stratson laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
stratson
post 3rd Mar 2008, 03:08pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
No Booze, drugs,were not on the scene, a hot orange or soft drink if you got a click, good clean wholesome fun and laughter.Good bands were my forte. Loved jazz. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
mamie
post 3rd Mar 2008, 04:38pm
Post #8

City Key Holder
YOU ARE RIGHT, GOOD CLEAN FUN ! MY TIPPLE THEN WAS A LOVELY COLD GLASS OF MILK, TO COOL ME DOWN AFTER ALL THE DANCING...... I WONDER WHAT THE YOUNG ONES WOULD THINK OF THAT. THE ENTRANCE TO THE LOCARNO IS STILL THERE, IT BRINGS BACK MEMORIES EVERTIME I PASS IT.......

+Quote Post
mamie
post 3rd Mar 2008, 04:38pm
Post #9

City Key Holder
YOU ARE RIGHT, GOOD CLEAN FUN ! MY TIPPLE THEN WAS A LOVELY COLD GLASS OF MILK, TO COOL ME DOWN AFTER ALL THE DANCING...... I WONDER WHAT THE YOUNG ONES WOULD THINK OF THAT. THE ENTRANCE TO THE LOCARNO IS STILL THERE, IT BRINGS BACK MEMORIES EVERTIME I PASS IT.......

+Quote Post
mamie
post 3rd Mar 2008, 04:42pm
Post #10

City Key Holder
WHY IS THAT LAST MESSAGE CAME UP TWICE??????? COULD SOMEONE TELL ME

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 3rd Mar 2008, 05:42pm
Post #11

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
What a great night standing waiting to get into the 12----4am at the Locarno, does anyone remember getting a wee pen with a light at the end as a gift. I loved the Locarno, it was only 5/6 I think on a thursday night and it was not to be missed. They days you could walk home in comparative safety and we were always in a crowd, come to think of it I think it was 5/6 for 2 on a Thursday night.

+Quote Post
mamie
post 4th Mar 2008, 05:09am
Post #12

City Key Holder
rosie-k you have a good memory, i can;t remember how much it cost, but what about the the thursday night when there was a big fight between the sailors from dunoon and the local boys . i wasen;t there that night but it was the talk of the steamie. at that age the sight of the yankie sailors brought a bit of excitement to glasgow. thats what they call the good auld days. (those where the days my friend}

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 4th Mar 2008, 06:24pm
Post #13

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
I honestly don't remember any fighting in the Locarno, I am talking about 1950sh. I liked the Locarno as it was local. I don't remember drinking milk, tea or anything like that, we used to get a double double of Jonny Walker whisky in the Wooden hut in North St. that was between 6 of us by the way, it was more enjoyable as it was daring. I prefer white wine now. Do you remember how the pubs used to have a family dept. where you could get a carry out? We didn't frequent pubs in they days. Is it Johnny Walker, I remember the advert for it but cannot remember if that is the correct spelling. I wish I did have a good memory, I am up and down my stairs like a yo yo not knowing what I came up for in the first place, I can remember things that happened years ago, now I ask what day it is. Auld Age..!!!

+Quote Post
mamie
post 4th Mar 2008, 07:49pm
Post #14

City Key Holder
I think the night of the fight , the one and only that i remember was around 1957. I think what happend was a girl refused to dance with a local boy but accepted to dance with a yank......Iwasen't there that night but heard all about it at work the next day..... It is great we remember what happend all those years ago , but can hardly remember what went on yesterday........ dry.gif dry.gif

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 4th Mar 2008, 09:04pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
I remember hearing about the big rammy at the Locarno in the fifties. I was a regular there on Thursday nights, but for some reason I missed that night, a wee voice must have said to me "Don't go there" laugh.gif a lot of the world's navies were in the UK at the time, taking part in "Operation Mainbrace". At the time of the fight I heard it was U.S. navy versus Canadian navy. We would drop in to a pub in North Street (or was it Holland Street) for a wee drink prior to the jiggin. The bands back then were the Benny Daniels Band and the Ray Ellington Quartet. Great times!

[attachment=10694:locarno.jpg]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.