Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Glasgow Miles More Miserable?, Another day ... another nutty claim!
Gallowgategirl
post 1st Nov 2010, 01:50am
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,372
biggrin.gif You just have to read the answers here to know that The Canary Islands is away wae the Canarys!! Glasgow humour is second to none and we laugh in the face of adversity.Like the saying Glasgow IS miles Better! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 1st Nov 2010, 03:23am
Post #17

And what would my half-german, half-glaswegian son say to this -
DUMMKOPF say in Germany. No Translation needed (hopefully)e gets into Glasgow Airport Terminal his heart just opens up, and he loves the patter. Everone is so friendly, ready for a blether or the quip Big Man (he`s 2.2 metres tall - well over 6 feet tall).

Tell all these no-nos to go an beil thir heid and eat a canary!!!

AWRA BEST fur Glesca!!

KatPat.

+Quote Post
Pamela
post 1st Nov 2010, 07:35am
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,295
I think Glasgow people are very warm and very funny with a great sense of humour....I have lived abroad most of my life and always enjoy meeting Glasgow people, and come to Glasgow to visit family and friends whenever I can... they are the salt of the earth..

+Quote Post
tombro
post 1st Nov 2010, 09:02am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
I haven't seen Glasgow in fifty years come December but, since joining this forum, I'd like to say thank you to all of the wonderful Glaswegians who have shared their lives with me !

I've been rediscovering my Glasgow roots from the other side of the world and the people on this forum, and other forums, have been so helpful !

Sure, people will try to put us Glaswegians down but we're strong, we're honest and we couldn't really give a thit about what others think.

For, we arra people !

Tombro tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Old Sailor
post 1st Nov 2010, 09:16am
Post #20

Visitor
Member No.: 4,642
I left Glasgow over sixty years ago after serving four years in the Navy and three memorable years at Glasgow University and I am fortunate for my good health at eighty-six which allowed me to visit again earlier this year as I have many times before. Glasgow is the friendliest place on earth. With my Canadian wife we travel to many places and I can also speak for her, who doesn't understand "the patter" all the time but can certainly smile at the body language. Although I am always happy to be back I am also saddened by the fact that fewer and fewer of my family and friends are there to greet me so it's nice to be surrounded by happy and humourous Glaswegions. God willing I'll be back!

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 1st Nov 2010, 09:30am
Post #21

I think my old home town of Glasgow is the friendliest place on earth. And as for the east west bit with Edinburgh, I will tell you a wee story about my youth. When I lived in Glasgow as a youngster, my dad used to buy old cars every summer to go on holiday with and sell them at the end of summer( usually for a profit). They were always breaking down usually with the 4 of us in the car. I remember breaking down in Glasgow and my Mum out pushing to try and get it going, she didnt push long when a bunch of Glasgow boys came round the corner, put her in the car and pushed us till she started ( quite a distance). The same thing happened in Edinburgh, and this group of men just walked on by. Glaswegians are the salt of the earth. Loved seeing Ricky again, hes such a miss at new years.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 1st Nov 2010, 10:05am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Imagine anybody saying that we're miserable. Only on every third Monday if it's bucketin' doon and ye canni see where yer gaun for the rain. laugh.gif Naw we're no miserable, we canny afford tae be we have to keep cheery, ah mean that's whit keeps us gaun. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 1st Nov 2010, 11:11am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
I am stitting here laughing ath this daft claim, It would be my guess the people who were asked have never lived/been in Glasgow.
One thing for sure us Glasgow folk have and that is a great sense of humor.. biggrin.gif , If You look on this board , there still over 7,000 members who still call it home and I doubt if it was that bad it would still be home.

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Nov 2010, 12:31pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I took Mary over to England from here by car and she quickly hated it ... culture shock, After a week of Lincolnshire and Blackpool visitin' my kids on both coasts we left for Scotland. On arrival in Glasgow I pulled up outside one of Glasgow's finest hotels to make up for her bad time in England but she wouldn't get out of the car. Judging by the size of the windows, the rooms would be high-ceilinged and she didn't want that. At the end we went to the airport and were bookin' into the Trust House Forte out there and she's tellin' me nothing over the third floor (she doesn't like heights) suite of rooms (she is claustrophobic) and access to the stairs (frightened of gettin' trapped in lifts) and I'm repeatin' this to the well presented gentleman on the reception who's welcoming smile is ready to crack into a laugh at any minute and the girl behind him has discretely turned her back.
"Why are they laughing?"
"Because they're Glaswegiens".
When we were leaving to drive back home, the guy on reception came round from his side of the desk and put his arms around Mary saying, "Haste ye back".
Glaswegiens won the right to be miserable but it's no' in their nature. When I broke my hip early on this year I'm being whisked into the hospital in the back of an ambulance and between bouts of pain I'm laughin' ma hied aff wi' a German paramedic who just wants to talk about his time in Glasgow.
We were still laughin together as I was being wheeled into ER with everyone lookin' on baffled as I was still givin' it aaahs and ouches in between.
Away 'n bile yer heid's definitely the right response to the above claim. Anyone who knows us knows what we're like.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
carsy1407
post 1st Nov 2010, 12:35pm
Post #25

Settling In
Member No.: 7,975
Went to a concert in Edinburgh about five years ago.........a superb girl called Kate Rusby with her exiting band containing John McCusker. The audience reaction to this superb vibrant music was bloody miserable.........
Spoke to a friend from Glasgow the following day and told him about the staid response. His reaction :
"There's mair fun at a Glesga stabbing than at an Edinburgh weddin".......

Kind of says it all I guess !!

+Quote Post
ladihelen
post 1st Nov 2010, 01:44pm
Post #26

Visitor
Member No.: 5,756
A Glaswegian by adoption I wasn't born there but love the place . I was homesick whenever away from the dear green place and NOW I can't visit as housebound in the sticks

Never missed a chance to chat at bus stops, wherever and the laughs we had are never to be forgotten. The Glasgow Taxi cab drivers are legion as I had to use them often and the help and care and pure goodness of heart should earn each and every one a medal .

I have gone OFF soothmoothers as they just don't understand what it is they are missing.

One elderly nurse asked me "How can you be so cheerful in this condition?" I replied without thinking "Its a birth defect ...don't worry about it " Her face was a picture.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 1st Nov 2010, 02:06pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Who are the people who come oot wie this **** the same bampots that say that skinny girl cole is a singer an an national treasure jasus when i heard that wan i thought thank jasus ahm a jock.

A scottish female national treasure Margo Mcdonald ,anywies back on thread we glaswegians are noted world wide fer oor patter ,you ever sit in a boozer wie 5 or 6 butchers or shipyard workers givin oot wie the patter trust me you better hiv yer nappy on or yer gonna end up floating oot the door tongue.gif a close second tae us are the scouse who are the funniest guys ah ever sodgered wie.

These claims always originate in engurland that second class nation who had the good fortune tae live near us, crap like this and the other claim about the tight Scot iwies get's my back up ,embra where a smile is as hard tae find as a good word aboot glegsga aff any o the queer hawks who inhabit this dismal dreech soul less chantypot o a city wink.gif believe me i know whit ahm talkin aboot ,wan september week end mah darlin sweet talked me intae spending a day there ,honest tae jasus a spent a better night wie bread an water an listenin tae a leonard cohen lp on the turntable.

Some clown rates them above us in this census which ses it aw aboot it ,loonies ,asylum troops lmao.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 1st Nov 2010, 02:12pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Oops ah wisnae born in glesga worse luck but came here as a young 7 year auld heilan laddy bein born on a wee isle called Luing, on the west coast but when i was asked at any time where ye fae jock ad say glesga man proud as a bluddy peacock.

+Quote Post
**Catarina**
post 1st Nov 2010, 06:04pm
Post #29

If there is anything I have always missed during my living in Canada since 1953, is the Glasgow wit and humour....It still exists, much to my enjoyment on trips back to my beloved Glasgow. And you dont get
humour and wit frae a grumpy soul.

+Quote Post
eddie mccallum
post 1st Nov 2010, 06:23pm
Post #30

Settling In
Member No.: 5,022
i have lived in england for 35 years but i try to get back up as often as the wife allows !

in fact me and the missus have just returned from a weekend in glasgow to see the old firm game.

i defy anyone to look down buchanan street on a saturday afternoon and not be impressed.

my english pals have been to glasgow with me several times and they love it. we are planning a weekend in december. in the city in england where i live, i personally would stay in for a month just to save enough money for a single night in glasgow.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Nov 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.