Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

61 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any One From Maryhill?
Lennox
post 21st Apr 2007, 04:39pm
Post #106

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 21st Apr 2007, 11:42 AM) *
Lennox , i knew a moira ckark , did she have a brother named tommy and mothers name vera

Yes she did have a brother named Tommy, I think she had two brothers, and her mother was Vera. I always knew her as Mrs Clark, heaven for bid kids then called adults by their first names unsure.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 21st Apr 2007, 05:40pm
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
hi lennox, last news i had about them was that vera was very ill, very sad.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 21st Apr 2007, 06:16pm
Post #108

Mega City Key Holder
sorry to hear that, but she must be getting on now. wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 21st Apr 2007, 06:47pm
Post #109

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Lennox your uncle davie lived up the close fae me he lived across from the Mc Kays ,he lived on the left hand side as you went up the stairs, by the way after the McKays, left the Mc clogans lived there as a matter of fact I thought one of the Mc Colgans[ Frankie] went o Austraila to play football no too sure

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 21st Apr 2007, 07:58pm
Post #110

Mega City Key Holder
wee mags,
do you remember my uncle davie wearing his wee flat bunnett, every time he went out the door? why did the men call them bunnetts? rolleyes.gif
Any biddy know the name Lillian Hannah or Lillian Sword ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 21st Apr 2007, 08:05pm
Post #111

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
unsure.gif Lennox the news about vera being ill was almost 9 yrs ago but she was still in maryhill at that time, first in a long time for me but i should be in maryhill sometime in september, please keep in touch id love to know the other story, at this point this is all i can say - i hope you know what im saying here Lennox, cheers. wub.gif maryhill for ever.

+Quote Post
elle
post 26th Apr 2007, 11:24am
Post #112

Special Visitor
Member No.: 3,309
QUOTE (valleyboy38 @ 12th Apr 2007, 06:03 PM) *
i knew of two familys who lived in 52 Stirrat St the Clarks and the Butlers i was born in Gairbraid Place the day after my mother and father moved in their then new house in 1938

You couldn't have gone into The Melrose Cafe VB because I am ten years older than you. smile.gif
You just proved it by putting in your birth date.

When I lived in 52 Stirrat Street as stated before, there wasn't anyone by the name of Butler living in our close. Top third floor, was our family, the Corrigans, opposite us were the McMenemies. Second floor were the Ryans and the Wilsons. Bottom floor Clarks and Penders. Right up until I left in 1948-1949.

Names are coming to me now. There was Jock Clark and his wife, Michael Clark, Tommy Clark, Mary Clark and I think a Sheila Clark.

I went to school with Philomena Ryan, who lived right underneath us, with the Clarks under them. She had a sister with red hair called Bridget.

McKay was mentioned in one of the posts. I went out with an Archie McKay from Gairbraid Ave. He had a younger brother.

The name Lennox sounds very familiar to me. No. 47 had to be across the street which was a smaller building than the one we were in, which went the full length of the street and round the corner. I remember a boy called Archie McLean who lived across the street in the first close beside the wall where the Saunders boy sat on the wall singing and playing his drums.smile.gif

Another name that comes to me is Eddie McKinnon. He lived across the Street.

The names I remember of the Wilson family opposite the Ryans, are Norah, Gina and Nellie. I went to school with Gina.

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 26th Apr 2007, 01:38pm
Post #113

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
didnt go into the melrose cafe too often. I do remember the daughters Lola and Sandra. Used to chum around with them. They stayed up the same close as the jaconnelis at queens cross. Mrs melrose was jaconnelis sister. I believe Lola opened a beauty salon just across from the barracks.........Andra

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 26th Apr 2007, 02:17pm
Post #114

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Trust you tae know Lola laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 26th Apr 2007, 03:04pm
Post #115

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
LOL on Lola.......

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 26th Apr 2007, 04:11pm
Post #116

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
i remember the Melrose cafe next to harrys the fruiters i also remember a girl who went with the owner jackie her name was clara guy. The ryans you talk of did they have a brother called Terry . I go and visit one of the Clark brothers his name is John[81] he is in a nursing home he is older than Tommy[R I P],I am sorry but i never mentioned the Melrose cafe in any of my posts although i remember it

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 26th Apr 2007, 05:16pm
Post #117

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (elle @ 26th Apr 2007, 06:41 AM) *
The name Lennox sounds very familiar to me. No. 47 had to be across the street which was a smaller building than the one we were in, which went the full length of the street and round the corner.

I am not sure if you are making reference to me with this quote, but the last name is not Lennox, that is just my screen name .... and 47 was in a smaller "building "
while we are on the subject , Anne1 or any one else for that matter names I need help with : Sword, Lillian and Margaret , James/Jim ! thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
elle
post 26th Apr 2007, 11:52pm
Post #118

Special Visitor
QUOTE (valleyboy38 @ 26th Apr 2007, 04:28 PM) *
i remember the Melrose cafe next to harrys the fruiters i also remember a girl who went with the owner jackie her name was clara guy. The ryans you talk of did they have a brother called Terry . I go and visit one of the Clark brothers his name is John[81] he is in a nursing home he is older than Tommy[R I P],I am sorry but i never mentioned the Melrose cafe in any of my posts although i remember it

Did Jackie Melrose and Lisa Jaconelli get divorced VB, if he was going out with Clara Guy? I remember Clara Guy. She went to the same school as I did. St. Mary's. She lived in Guthrie Street. Another red head. I also remember Harry's fruit shop. One of my schoolfriends Pearl Fitzimmons ended up working in there for a spell. I went to a Commercial College after leaving St. Mary's, and Pearl wasn't interested in continuing her education, although she was very smart.

Yes, Terry Ryan was a brother who lived under us. Yes John Clark was older than Tommy. He was older than me too. I wonder if he'll remember me. Say hello for me. He was a very nice guy.

andypisces
Yes, I mentioned that Lisa Jaconelli was the daughter of the owners of the Jaconelli's at Queen's Cross. Lisa was a friend of my two older sisters. Lisa and Jack didn't have any children when I was a teenager working there, but I was only there twice a week, and worked for one year. I had a day job in an office. Their children could have been born either before I left Maryhill in 1948, or after it.

+Quote Post
elle
post 26th Apr 2007, 11:56pm
Post #119

Special Visitor
QUOTE (Lennox @ 26th Apr 2007, 05:33 PM) *
I am not sure if you are making reference to me with this quote, but the last name is not Lennox, that is just my screen name .... and 47 was in a smaller "building "
while we are on the subject , Anne1 or any one else for that matter names I need help with : Sword, Lillian and Margaret , James/Jim ! thanks

Yes, I know it was a smaller building, Lennox, I lived right across from it for 18 years, and knew some of the neighbours who lived there. McKinnons, Scanlons and the McLeans, but when I left in 1948, other neighbours could have left too (?).

One of my sisters had a friend whose last name was Lennox, but probably she didn't live on Stirrat Street. Sorry about that.

+Quote Post
elle
post 27th Apr 2007, 12:02am
Post #120

Special Visitor
Was just thinking VB that the Butlers you speak of may well have moved into our house when we left in 1948 (third floor). you were only 10 years old, and I was 20. smile.gif How those years have gone by.

+Quote Post

61 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.