Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Doctors
magsos
post 28th Aug 2006, 11:19pm
Post #31

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,052
yes sumac,there was a doctor nurse,at the beginning off alexandra parade,many many years ago..i am not sure about this,but i think he was indian..this would be back in the early 50`s at least.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sumac
post 31st Aug 2006, 05:02pm
Post #32

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
Yes, magsos, Doctor Nurse was indeed Indian (or Asian of some sort). And it would be late50s, early 60s. Well remembered! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 17th Feb 2010, 07:17pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Aye I think he was Indian, seem to recall him being a pretty big fella, but everything seems big when yer a wean. He came up to oor hoose on a couple of occasions when a hud measles, chickenpox and aww the other stuff ye used to pick up fur free.

I remember the reception was jist as you went in the door on the left, a wee counter wi big filing cabinets ahint it. Also, there were long rows of an assortment of buggered up benchs and chairs, and when ye went it was always mobbed wi loads of crabbit auld wimen bitching about the price o' mince.

The place always stunk like an auld hospital, like bleach, dettol and some other noxious odours. There wus even spittons gracing the "Surgery". The only thing missing aff the bare floorboards was sawdust frea Wee Boabby the Butcher's across the Parade.

The receptionist then in late 50's ~ '71 was a wee wifie called Mrs Frasor, she moved to Taylor St flats much the same time we did, no long afore they flattened the surrounding area.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
kenomeat
post 17th Feb 2010, 08:20pm
Post #34

Visitor
Member No.: 7,794
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 27th Aug 2006, 02:44am) *
My Doctor was Dr Mc Niel (Homeopathic ) He took care of me all of my child and teenage years and then when I married took over the care of my husband .When my pregnancies began he would see me in his office but as my time came near he would come to the house to see me .With my last girl ,I was waiting for the coal man and finally went round to the wee shop round the corner and bought a ten pound bag of coal .I was carrying it back home when he arrived at my close .He promptly took the bag from my arms ,carried it up the stairs and sorted the fire out .He gave me a helluva telling off but could see why I needed the fire (DECEMBER ) .My daughter was born two days later .Can you imagine a Doctor in this day and age doing something like this ????
h

The McNeil's were our family doctor(s). If I mind right it was Hector and Hamish, father and then son... they were stalwarts of the Homeopathic Hospital on Gt Western Road. The father treated at least three generations of my family with me in the youngest generation... never saw the son myself as a patient, but my gran did in her later years as did my aunt. The old doc was a wonderful man.

+Quote Post
jimmyt
post 17th Feb 2010, 09:50pm
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,806
regarding old doctors i have been told by big brother the nane of the doctor on ally pde was dr vernon nurse.also he was chienese.i lived at 67 ally pde.can remember the cowies and the apsleys

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 18th Feb 2010, 10:10am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
<Edited by RABBIE>

Moved to Glasgow District - Townhead Thread

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 22nd Oct 2010, 11:06am
Post #37

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
My old doctor in London road always smelled of whiskey and on occassions had his fag lit when you went in.... no real ..

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 27th Jan 2011, 02:09am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
QUOTE (Lennox @ 30th Mar 2005, 06:41pm) *
Could it be the Surgery at the top of Maryhill Road near the old bus Station,? Ther'e's a park across the Street, My Mum use to take us kids there, and our Doctor was Dr.Smith,a Man there was also a lady Doctor can't recall her name.

Lennox

Lennox the lady doctor was Dr Robertson just incase you still dont know. She had her practice well into the 1970's ( maybe late 70's ) she was my doctor from infancy .The last time I saw her was to say goodby as a was leaving Glasgow, first she just looked down those glasses of hers and stared at me for a few minutes lol. Then she gave me a big hug as we parted, think a was her best customer.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 30th Jan 2011, 09:25am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
Dr. Devine was my first doctor. He had a surgery on the street opposite the main gate of Fairfields. He came from a well to do family but choose to spend his whole life working among the poor of Govan. His name reflected his ethos. I believe he died rather young as he must have burnt himself out refusing no one treatment at any time. I dont believe in Heaven but there must be some eternal reward for this doctor.

+Quote Post
NKS kid
post 30th Jan 2011, 12:00pm
Post #40

Visitor
Member No.: 5,427
Our doctors was on Maryhill Road, heading down the way from Kelvinside Avenue. I think it was near Pat's Pet Shop. There was the old doctor with silver hair (can't remember his name) and a Dr. Jamieson who frightened the life out of me. The waiting room had a couple of rows of wooden chairs. They looked like they'd been picked up from a antique shop. (Seen one in Habitat for 90 recently). So the idea was to shuffle along the chairs until you got to the doctor's surgery door. It was a gloomy room. As a child I always felt the doctor was going to hurt me instead of make me better. That was all down to Jamieson and his horrible manner.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 30th Jan 2011, 12:22pm
Post #41

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Morning all Our dr was on Maryhill Rd just past Kelvinside Ave going towards Queens X DRs Harper and Matthews if i remember correctly. I recall having mouth ulcers and having this blue stuff all over my mouth it was horrible. Cheers

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th Mar 2011, 10:01pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Who remembers having to ask " who's last " when'y went into the dr's office back then>>>>>> a so hated dooing that tongue.gif Great set up now on Glasgow Memories biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
benny
post 13th Mar 2011, 11:23pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (dizzybint @ 22nd Oct 2010, 11:29am) *
My old doctor in London road always smelled of whiskey and on occassions had his fag lit when you went in.... no real ..

When ah lived in Ruchazie and Cranhill, ma GP practice wis in Gilberfield Street - Dr. Davidson and two Dr. Jamiesons - father and son. The young Dr. Jamieson's ashtray used tae be littered wi fags (untipped in thae days) wi aboot 3 puffs taken ooty them then stubbed oot.
Ah remember the aulder Dr. Jamieson prescribin a mustard poultice fur wan o ma sisters who had pleurisy - ah think he must've done his trainin roon aboot 1895. biggrin.gif

Ma ain doctor wis Dr. Davidson - a good doctor and a gentleman tae boot.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
angel
post 13th Mar 2011, 11:37pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
our family doctor when I was a child growing up in Partick, was Dr. Cruickshanks, to me at that time she seemed an elderly woman but she was a nice lady although quite frumpy looking,but I understand ,she was a very good doctor but I am reminded of her when I watch the Actress
Margaret Rutherford in the movies she made,playing the part of
Agatha Christie's detective , "Miss Marples" smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 14th Mar 2011, 08:08pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Our family doctor was Dr. Henderson whose practice was in Apsley Sreet in Partick. He looked after me until my first pregnancy when he advised me to transfer to my husband's doctor as I was living in Pollokshields by that time. I did as he asked and went to Dr. Jubb through my other two babies until we came to Canada. His office was in his home in Shawlands. I used to push my babies in the pram and walk all the way from Giffnock to his surgery.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.