Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Doctors
isa
post 26th Mar 2005, 05:37pm
Post #1

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
Hello,
I was just here remembering the old doctors surgerey i used to go to, we used to have to take a bus from Castlemilk to get to it, it was on a row of other offices and shops and i alway's remember the windows were painted half blue, I often wondered why, but I suppose it was to keep people privacy on who was visiting the doctor, inside was a wee square room where you sat and as you got nearer your turn, you moved along to the seats in a corridor and if my memory serves me right, when you came out of the doctors and turned left, there was a park, but not a usual park, it was a square on the end of a block and it had black tar ground and high fencing all around, can anyone please tell me where this was, I have been racking my brains for hours,
many thanks
Isa wink.gif

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 28th Mar 2005, 01:53am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Well for a second there I really thought you were talking about my doctors office. It was in the Townhead,but when you came out and turned left it was the bookie shop, certailnly not a park in sight. biggrin.gif

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 30th Mar 2005, 07:03pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Could it be the Surgery at the top of Maryhill Road near the old bus Station,? Ther'e's a park across the Street, My Mum use to take us kids there, and our Doctor was Dr.Smith,a Man there was also a lady Doctor can't recall her name.

Lennox

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 30th Mar 2005, 09:15pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
well well Lennox your talking about the dr who delivered me and my brothers and sister he was a nice man and his nurse who attended the women giving birth and who checked on them afterwards was Nurse Fairrie ,my sister told me his son had taken over his dads practise,
do you remember going into the sugery as they called it ,you would sit in a seat and gradually move jist like musical chairs only there was no music Dr Smiths Name was Stanley, did you ever go round the corner to the swings ?they wer jist before you went to the Drs,jeese I can see maself walking up the Maryhill Rd sick as a dog
wae strep and him giving ma mamy money for a tram for us to get home soon as possible

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 2nd Apr 2005, 02:42pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
This board really brings back the memories, Dr Smith also delivered me and my brother, yes I do remember going to the park and the swings, I also remember going back home on the tram, just before they all went off the roads, and the Yellow buses statred.( showing my age now ohmy.gif ) Dr. Smith was our Family Doctor, and when my Mum got MS he would come around to the house a lot, it seems like he knew the family, (all of hers) and I remember when my Granny died he came to the house again. He was a wonderfull doctor.I often wondered what happened to the Surgery,is it still around these days?

Lennox

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 14th Apr 2005, 01:03pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Its a funny thing we never called up for an appointment we just went in and took our turn. Sometimes we had a long wait.Not on comfy chairs .I remember long benches and you just slid along till you got to the end .Then it was your turn.Look how the modern world works, you call up and your lucky if you can see someone in the next two weeks. Then you go in and you still have to wait .Yes and like you say ,you felt like the doctor knew you and your family. Now I feel I am just a number.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 14th Apr 2005, 01:20pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
We can blame the last few governments for that Isobel, if they cut back any more on Health ye'll be lucky to find any Doctors office.

I recently signed a petition for my Pediatricians office.
The present government are now trying to wipe that service out, and promoting the Health telephone lines.
Like I want to put my boys health concerns over on the phone to someone who more than likely is reading a question and answer service from a book!
Sorry but I could do that masel y'no!

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
May
post 17th Apr 2005, 12:13pm
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 1,071
Our family doctor was Dr Freedlander. I can't remember the name of the street his old office was in but I remember it well. You entered from a door on the street and as said before you just took your trun. He saw his patients in a back room and once he had seen you he showed you out by a door into the close. His surgery was moved to Ballater Street around about 1959-60. He was a great doctor and once we moved to Castlemilk he came all that way for home visits.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 17th Apr 2005, 03:29pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Reading these posts makes me realise just what we have lost.
In the past when we visited the doctor's surgery, the doctor did know your family, he knew the family history and family ailments, babies born, deaths in the family. Basically he knew you as you sat before him maybe worried about something, that doctor knew how to treat you as a whole person.
To think as Catherine was saying earlier now they expect us to phone a stranger and try to explain worrying symptoms possibly of a child, when we are extremely anxious, it's simply ludicrous.
If we could diagnose ourselves we wouldn't need a doctor in the first place. All at a time when our NHS contributions get higher and higher, as do our presciption charges. The times that I've thought when collecting presciptions, what if a soul just hasn't got the money to pay for this.

+Quote Post
isa
post 22nd Apr 2005, 11:34am
Post #10

Lord Provost
hello
What get me also is that when one of my children had the measles I phoned to get the doctor round as she was very poorly with it, I was asked, can she walk, yes I said, then bring her to the surgery, I said what about all the other people in the waiting room, it is infectious isnt it, oh thats ok, because, once you walk through the doors, go straight through the waiting room to a room and we will get the doctor to come and see you there after his clinic has finished, but she will still be walking past other patients and she has a nasty couch and cold with it, oh well ask her not to cough or sneeze until she gets to the room, NO...........get the doctor to come round after his clinic has finished, she is too poorly to come out and we have to get the bus, well cant you afford a taxi was the reply, where has all the compassion gone, we feel like we are on a conveyer belt.
On a lighter note, my youngest came with me to the new updated surgery and I was told to take a ticket from the machine, my daughter said, oh, mummy doesnt wantt o buy some ham, she wants to see the doctor, hehehe wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 20th May 2005, 05:28pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
i lived in the milk from1957 until 1978 the doctors was near the factors ma dr was called jackson he was brill and the swings where next door a 37 bus too me there wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
isa
post 21st May 2005, 03:49pm
Post #12

Lord Provost
Hello Stuarty,
where aboots fae the milk? I was in Ardincraig road and Bogany biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 21st May 2005, 04:50pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
hi isa i lived at 173 ardencraig rd just up fae tormusk shops before the old pensoiners flats and the braes wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
littlebernie
post 21st May 2005, 06:20pm
Post #14

Special Visitor
Member No.: 221
hi all
how strange yes i can remember our doctors we called them the three wise men 1 dr wilson dr wisman and dr winicur there surgery was in claythorn street in the calton just of london rd yes do rember long queues often wonder why i was always last they said they made appoinment and decided to do the same gueus what it made no damm defferance untill blow my stack then a strange thing happened from that day on i was never seen last i wonder why was i bein cheated on???

+Quote Post
andypisces1
post 22nd May 2005, 02:35pm
Post #15

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,621
We all seem to have fond memories of our drs. Mine was a Dr Fleming and his surgery was at the round toll just across from my grandmothers on caithness st. My cousin , Archie, my sister and i went for our vaccination, for smallpox i think. Archie and i were kidding my sister the youngest of the three of us that she would be Ok we would carry her home. Well we all got our vaccinations and the next i remember was waking up in my grandmothers. Yep i was the one who passed out and had to be carried over to my grandmas....never lived it down......andra

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.