Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctor, what your mammy done
Marg
post 30th Apr 2004, 09:56am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13
biggrin.gif You sure know how to tell your tales Jimmy.

--------------------
God Bless this wee house!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 30th Apr 2004, 12:01pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Oh Jimmy, laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Catherine: 30th Apr 2004, 12:02pm

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
betty2
post 30th Apr 2004, 04:46pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
Wamnthing aboot they hame cures therr wis nae side effects, back then mammies wur in a class o their ain, they could be doctor ,nurse phsy(shrink) cook, washerwummin, an fortune teller cos mine knew whit ah wis up tae afore ah hud it worked oot masel aye jimmy i echo "whit a wummin" wub.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 30th Apr 2004, 09:45pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Got a good laugh here . I remember fresh clean towel, new bar of soap , but most of all the respect the older generation had for the doctor , yes doctor, no doctor , never questioning anything . Not sure if that was such a good thing.
Wee Mags , you mentioned the poltice, for sure I remember that . It did cure you , but maybe caused you to have a burn on your chest for a few days .Oh the good old days . My dads answer to everything , he would say'Oh you ljust need a good clean out . biggrin.gif The old bottle of syrup of figs . Ha H a.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 30th Apr 2004, 11:13pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Oh tell me about the poultices,Kaolin and some smelly stuff,felt like you had a big keech on yer chist.How about ,"your no goin oot in them,ye might get knocked doon wi a bus", whit is it aboot torn knickers and underpants and bad driving!! Can you imagine the nurses, at the hospital " yes doctor ,his leg is hanging off, multiple lacerations,intestines hanging out,but my goad!!! the state of his underpants !!!! ,I almost threw up when I saw them,some people have no shame " !!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 1st May 2004, 01:36am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Oh Jimmy ,couldn't help laughing when I read your post. My first holiday abroad I was 17 or 18. going to Italy ,all excited , took appendicitas on the plane and caused a bit of a stir. Anyway to cut a long story short when they were taking me away in the ambulance thats what my sister was saying . Gee mum was right Isobel its a good job you have clean underwear on. Ha ha biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Isobel: 1st May 2004, 01:37am

--------------------

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 1st May 2004, 02:08am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
See there are your now Isobel,your Mammy wis always right!!!

Wee joke here, man goes to the doctor and says " doctor I have 5 willies!!!! doctor says "how do your pants fit " "Just like a glove," the man replies ....... biggrin.gif

It isnae aff topic Martin honest it's no,it's aboot doacturs !!!

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
Heather
post 1st May 2004, 10:05pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember we used to get the Cod Liver Oil and Syrup of figs every spring "to clean out the system", so we were told.

I remember when I was 17yrs old and had to get my Tonsils & Adenoids out. I was quite ill after the operation and started haemorrhaging. I was so ill the nurses would not let my Parents in to see me. I was kept in for a week and then the day after I was allowed home, I haemorrhaged again.

I lost a lot of weight so out came the Cod Liver Oil as Mum said I had to be "built up". Then for dinner it was the fish boiled in milk. yuk. But one day Mum came in with a bottle of Ribena, I had never heard of this stuff, but she filled a glass and told me drink it. I complained it was too thick and sweet but Mum made me drink the lot. After I finished it I looked at the bottle and discovered it should have been diluted with water. When I pointed this out to Mum all she said was, "never mind it will build you up all the quicker". laugh.gif

I never forgot that operation not just because I was so ill but also because I woke up during it. I saw the Doctor and he had his hand down my throat and when his hand came out he was holding what looked like tongs with a lump of raw meat attached to it. I tried to speak but could not get the words out. When I awoke again I was back in the ward.
I told the Nurse what had happened and she said I was dreaming. I described the Doctor and the nurse who was standing beside him. I also described the trolley with all the items on it and the Operating Theatre. She was very annoyed that this had happened and said she would speak to the Matron, but no one ever mentioned it again.

My parents knew nothing about it until I told them when I got home. They thought it was a terrible thing to happen, and were annoyed that the Nurse did not tell them as they thought it might cause me to have nightmares. But I was okay and nothing came out of it.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 1st May 2004, 10:48pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Oh ! Heather what a terrible experience,They were the days when you did not dare questioun anything they done,Doctors and Nurses.Hell think of the power trip it must have been for them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AmazingGrace
post 2nd May 2004, 01:07am
Post #25

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,029
I can remember that when we were sick and the doctors was coming to visit we would be allowed to get into Mum and Dad's bed and the fire was lit. Dr Patterson was the senion partner and if he came then we didnt move a muscle but if Dr Ferguson came then it was all coy; they were a bit like Dr Finley and Dr Cameron from Dr Finlay's Casebook wub.gif
When Richard was in hospital after free fall parachuting in the Army, I got a call to say he was in hospital and I though I my God, I'm going to be a widow and we had only been married 6 months. Turns out he had a grumbling appedicitis. When the doctors did their ward rounds the patients had to lie to attention(I kid you not) as the doctors would be officers dry.gif

--------------------
AmazingGrace In Transit Lounge Chester

+Quote Post
jannymac
post 2nd May 2004, 03:22am
Post #26

City Key Holder
Member No.: 48
Heather, what you described sounds awful, waking up and seeing the doctors like that, no wonder you have never forgotten it.

+Quote Post
jock
post 2nd May 2004, 05:39am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Heather - I had a somewhat similar experience! Went to hospital had my T&A out spent two nights then sent home. Hemorraged at home, did not want to go back in but doctor said you have two choices, either we call the ambulance or you lay here and die! Was taken back to hospital around midnight, nae doctors around,was worked on by a medical student who held a page torn from a medical book in one hand and tried to freeze the torn blood vessel with the other. Was aff school a long time wi' that.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 4th May 2004, 07:16pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Good god could you imagine that going on today. They would be getting sued for millions. I GUESS ITS TOOOOOO LATE HEATHER. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sumac
post 6th Oct 2006, 12:42am
Post #29

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I remember being in hospital to get my tonsils and adenoids out. I was four, and my memory is very clear of being in a big room full of toys. There were lots of children playing in the room and, one by one, they took them out. When it was my turn to go, a nice nurse took me by the hand and led me into the theatre. She popped me up on the table, told me to lie down and put a big rubber mask over my face. I can still smell the rubbery smell, as the nice nurse told me not to struggle (I was really scared, as you can imagine). Anyway, when I came round, I was back in my bed in the ward. Another nurse told me to stop crying or I would hurt my throat - hurt it? It was already excruciating! She was right, though. No sooner had she said that, than I haemmoraged black stuff all over the bed! Gads! I hate that memory! sad.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 13th Dec 2006, 09:37pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
Poor you wee sumac am that sorry this happened tae ye hen,I had simular experiences when I was in for an eye squint correction,there was that same smell a nurse pinning me down as I struggled thereafter i awakened to a wretched scullery maid (domestic now) she nipped pinched & slapped me every day for 4 days cos I hated Horlicks at night & milk in the morning(i still hate these things today not even in cereal do I take the milk yuki)then my mum noticed I crumpled in fear whenever that lady appeared in the ward,Mum as wise as she was said to me "you don`t like her much ,why is that?................I ended up in tears & mum took me from the bed and hugged me as I sobbed when all story told the foolish woman tried to be authoritarian & make mum put me back tae bed . She trembled as my mum spoke quietly warning her to step away or she would never stand on her own 2 feet ever again, Mammy became a lioness & me her cub haha the maid obliged & left me & didnt bother me again.

My Tonsils & adenoids came out as a married 23yr old,newly enjoying our life(haha2yrs wedd & still oan honeymoon) Yes I haemmoraged due to the student nurse haha,she had checked(she thought) then said to me Iam to take panadol & not the soluable kind as before as Iam post op 3 days.

I obediently took them swallowing them was hard then they stuck & I began haemorraging & frothing at the mouth the silly sausage gave me soluable & yes they were dissolving with no real fluid to do it in. rolleyes.gif Funny thing was I got home a week later,9months down the track I had a baby boy hahahaha honeymoon honeymoonlol

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.