Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Duke Street Hospital - Eastern District Hospital, Can you help me??
*Kitty*
post 18th Sep 2009, 04:10pm
Post #1

Hiya....

I hope that someone can give me any information.

My wee amazing granny had a baby girl (my aunt) in Duke Street hospital on Sunday 28th Dec 1957 sadly the baby had spina bifida and was taken away from my granny in a matter of minutes after her birth. After a very long week & having no contact with her baby daughter my gran was told that the baby had died on Sunday 4th Jan 1958.

My granny's deepest wish is to find out what happened to her baby.
She was told at the time to go home & forget about everything and to get pregnant as soon as possible! My gran has never really got over that.

I am writing this note in the hope that someone might know what happened to the babies that died in the hospitals of glasgow in those days?? I have my doubts that these babies were layed to rest & think that probably the babies were cremated.

Any information will be of great use..

Kitty x

p.s I know its not the nicest of topics but if i can get some closure for my wee granny it would be great!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**CHRISTINE**
post 21st Oct 2009, 07:03pm
Post #2

Dear Kitty i too had a baby girl in duke st hospital as your gran my baby died and was told to go home and forget i was 15 at the time that was 1975 i have tried to fined out what happend to the babies my life has been scared deeply by this i know how much your gran hurts i thought that i was the only one i now know that other womam has and is suffering i know how much your gran just wants to find out whay happend so i wish you the best and hope and pray that your gran finds the answers that she is looking for as wish for myself

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 22nd Oct 2010, 11:05am
Post #3

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
Sure it was awful the way mothers were treated back then.. as if another wean would heal aw wounds and how sad... Ive heard that some weans were cremated in teh hospital while some were buried at the foot of adults being buried, or put in same lair as an adult . terrible as then parents can never know or go and sit to talk to the baby.. awful..

+Quote Post
beth
post 24th Oct 2010, 07:00am
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
my first baby died shortly after birth in the Rottenrow. Donnelly's Funeral Directors arranged a private burial at the princely cost of ten Shillings. Don't know if they were used by other hospitals. I may still have the invoice buried away somewhere. There would be contact details, if they are still operational

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 2nd Nov 2010, 05:59pm
Post #5

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
my cousin has been searching for her brothers grave in Sandymount cemetery , and I tried to find out for her.. what I did get was his death certificate from 1938 which was awfy sad.. he was only 5 months and two other weans died on the same day of the same illness.. with the same doctors signature in same ward...so sad ...maybe he didnt have a grave of his own and was put in someone elses which is awfully sad as nowhere to go to talk to him.. I watched a heartbroken man stand holding a headstone in Dalbeth a few weeks ago breaking his heart.. was so sad.. but I think some people need this..

+Quote Post
**kate**
post 18th Apr 2012, 10:33pm
Post #6

hi i am looking also for my sister who was born in duke street hospital in 1971 i was always told that she only lived for 1 hour and then she died with spina bifada but now i have discovered that there has never been any death certificate for her. if she was buried at the foot of another adult would there have been a death certificate or was that also kept quiet. i really need to have closure on what happened back then unfortunatly for me both my parents are dead so i cannot go to them and ask although when i was younger i was never aloud to talk about her please help x

+Quote Post
**lucy**
post 15th Dec 2014, 09:32am
Post #7

My mum was a midwife in Glasgow in the 1950's. She trained at Robroyston. When babies were born with a disability they were not fed and only given water. If they survived they went on to be cared for. This sounds very harsh now but there were simply not the facilities we have nowadays to care for the disabled. I think you are correct in saying the babies were cremated on site and many mothers never saw or held their babies. My mother well remembers mothers crying out when they saw the cupid lips of a Downs' baby.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 15th Dec 2014, 10:54am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
I know its not strictly on topic but reading the posts above I feel fortunate in a way, my wife lost five babies four of them stillborn, one in Scotland in a hospital somewhere along Great Western Road, another three here in SA another one a girl that we named Linda lived for twelve hours and the reason I think we are fortunate is because we were able to bury her in a local cemetery and we are able to visit her from time to time.
Not to know what happened or where they are must be a terrible feeling.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 15th Dec 2014, 11:54am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Your story has touched and deeply moved me Dave.

I feel for everyone who found themselves in this type of situation.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
taurus
post 15th Dec 2014, 09:21pm
Post #10

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
My first baby was born in Stobhill,and she was the midwife`s very first delivery ,so she stayed friendly with me and visited me when I got home. She told me she saw some awful things in her trainin.....,one baby born with 2 heads,and not allowed to live. The hospitals must have had their own form of euthenasia away back then,and outside of the law too,for these days there would be all sorts of ruckus in these circumstances if the hospital used their own discretion at such times.

+Quote Post
*John Taylor*
post 23rd Dec 2014, 10:01pm
Post #11

QUOTE (*lucy* @ 15th Dec 2014, 09:49am) *
My mum was a midwife in Glasgow in the 1950's. She trained at Robroyston. When babies were born with a disability they were not fed and only given water. If they survived they went on to be cared for. This sounds very harsh now but there were simply not the facilities we have nowadays to care for the disabled. I think you are correct in saying the babies were cremated on site and many mothers never saw or held their babies. My mother well remembers mothers crying out when they saw the cupid lips of a Downs' baby.

+Quote Post
**Paddy**
post 9th Mar 2015, 03:19pm
Post #12

Have any of you ever tried to find the 'LIVE' birth certificates NOT the certificate of birth, of the eastern district. This is the form the mother or father signs as a statement of the birth and this is then taken and held at the registry office they then create a Birth Certificate and give you an extract. I am looking into where these LIVE birth certificates are now kept and will update you all if i find out, however if anyone can let me know then please respond? I am not sure if any of you know the difference between a LIVE birth certificate and a registered Birth Certificate (of an event)? If you knew it would scare you. One is Living being and one is a corporation or a PER SON (corp = body Oration = Speaking) PER = Through SON = son of a nation i.e. son of Great Britain. Great Britain is a fictional entity i.e. a concept (it doesn't live nor can it be a Father). By registering your child you pledged your child to the state as a Debt to society. Therefore you pawned (pawn from latin meaning pledge) your own child as a debt to society. Cognative dissonance is the order of the day.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.