Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ian Jackson And The Boy David
scotslad90
post 30th Mar 2004, 01:54am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Tremendous article from Mondays Evening Times about Glaswegian plastic surgeon Ian Jackson and his adopted son David-all Glaswegians will be familiar with the story.It gives an interesting update on how David who came to Glasgow as a youngster has progressed over the years and also the fact that Mr Jackson has had to carry out remedial work on his grandson.Plastic surgeons tend to be newsworthy for all the wrong reasons today-this shows a much more rewarding side to the work they do.

Link Expired.

This post has been edited by GG: 7th Jan 2007, 07:37pm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 30th Mar 2004, 02:03am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Thanks for that Scotslad, I remember the story when it first happened. They all sound like lovely real people.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Marg
post 30th Mar 2004, 02:05am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13
Scotslad that is a very touching story I had not read about this before.It is very unusal for a relative to operate on a family member I think this is what surprised me more.

--------------------
God Bless this wee house!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 30th Mar 2004, 02:47am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I watched the show on the young Peruvian boy and I thought at that time how wonderful they were to do such a thing, and didnt they bring him to Scotland ? thanks for bringing this up makes you proud to be Scottish wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 31st Mar 2004, 06:11am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Thanks for that Scotslad.lovely inspirational story.We have a lot of children brought to Australia,from around the world.Adelaide childrens hospital,has one of the best Cranial Facial Units in the world.They are recognised as leaders in the field.I seem to re call seeing this doctor interviewed on TV here.He was on a lecture tour,I remember feeling so proud that he was aScot

This post has been edited by jimmyd: 31st Mar 2004, 06:15am

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
Heather
post 1st Apr 2004, 09:22pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The story of the boy David certainly captured the hearts of all the Glasgow People.
His disfigurement was caused by a sandfly causing leishmaniasis, a disease that gnawed through the soft tissues and bones of his face. His parents were primitive people so they passed him on to Catholic Missionaries in Lima, Peru. He was introduced to Dr. Jackson by a Swiss aid worker Martine Schopfer. Dr. Jackson agreed to treat David at Canniesburn Hospital in Bearsden. The extent of the disfigurement would require numerous operations and although Dr. Jackson offered his services free the National Health Service declined to make a similar offer. Requests for help from Save the Children and UNICEF were unsuccessful. As David was from a Catholic Country, Marjorie Jackson decided to approach Archbishop Winning of Glasgow and he agreed to help, assuring the Dr. Jackson that he would find the money and the Church would not let David down. The Archbishop visited primary schools telling the children about David and a fund raising campaign was started throughout the Diocese. The first 2000.00 necessary to start treatment was raised.
The Glasgow Evening Times picked up the story and launched an appeal for funds which combined with the money collected from the Diocese totalled 46,000.00.
The rest as the saying goes is history.
When necessary, the Glasgow people certainly know how to rise to the occassion.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.