Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

125 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coronovirus?, How it spreads!
Dykejumper
post 6th Apr 2020, 05:49pm
Post #406

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
I was suspicious of those South Africa figures until i read the item below,i hope they can maintain
things.

'One week into South Africa's nationwide lockdown to prevent the spread of coronavirus, and it is tempting - dangerously tempting - to breathe a sigh of relief.

After all, look at how much has already been achieved. More than 47,000 people have been tested, and 67 mobile testing units have been organised.

There are even drive-through testing centres. Soon the country will be able to test 30,000 people every day. To date, only five deaths from the virus have been confirmed. About 1,400 have tested positive for Covid-19.'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 6th Apr 2020, 06:30pm
Post #407

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Not going to get into an argument about number of tests carried out in South Africa. What I will say is that the majority of tests carried out are being done by the PRIVATE Medical Sector where ALL tests will be paid for upfront by the person requesting the test.
This countries governmental health service is incapable of carrying out any major testing for the virus.
Nobody who can afford a private Medical Aid will go anywhere near a government hospital.
I don't know anyone regardless of colour who believes the governments figures.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 6th Apr 2020, 06:31pm
Post #408

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I'm struggling with the concept of this lockdown, I thought I understood the rules but now not so sure. Item on STV news was from an allotment in Edinburgh which was very busy with small groups and individuals working the plots, this is ok they say as long as they keep social distancing. Can anyone explain how this is any different to family groups walking in parks or on the beach? There are two houses close to us, one has been bought by a young couple who turn up every day to work on it. They also have others with them and today they had a firm of plasterers in. The other house is getting a new roof and major work inside on wet or dry rot. Again there are tradesmen working every day as if nothing was happening.

Have we missed a news bulletin giving the all clear unsure.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 6th Apr 2020, 06:48pm
Post #409

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
I guess the allotment people are growing vegetables and thus however loosely come under the food suppliers directives.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 6th Apr 2020, 06:56pm
Post #410

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Well, Ashfield I am with you on this.

What part of no-one should leave their home unless for food or picking up a prescription from the chemist, or leaving to be a carer for someone who does not live with you, who relies on carers, do these people not understand.

Sorry, but I think it beggars belief. We have all been given the same “rules” to live by currently. I just don’t get it.

There is a young couple across the road from me, in their 30s, they have a wee girl about 6, the wife is pregnant, yet they get visitors and are frequently out and about!

I will not leave my house, and I will not even answer my door. I put a note on the door telling anyone with deliveries when I expect them, to leave on the steps.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 6th Apr 2020, 07:21pm
Post #411

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
QUOTE (ashfield @ 6th Apr 2020, 06:31pm) *
I'm struggling with the concept of this lockdown... There are two houses close to us, one has been bought by a young couple who turn up every day to work on it. They also have others with them and today they had a firm of plasterers in. The other house is getting a new roof and major work inside on wet or dry rot. Again there are tradesmen working every day as if nothing was happening.

Have we missed a news bulletin giving the all clear unsure.gif

This guidance was urgently updated earlier today.

Essential projects include:
  • those to create or repurpose facilities which will be used directly in COVID-19 related activities
  • projects to create or repurpose facilities which will be used to accommodate key workers, or free up space in facilities to be used directly in COVID-19 related activities
  • projects which are considered essential public services
  • the repair and maintenance of critical infrastructure

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 6th Apr 2020, 07:40pm
Post #412

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
PM moved into intensive care.

Dominic Raab now running the country.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-06/prime-m...th-coronavirus/

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 6th Apr 2020, 10:10pm
Post #413

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 6th Apr 2020, 08:40pm) *
PM moved into intensive care.

Dominic Raab now running the country.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-06/prime-m...th-coronavirus/

Gawd save us all ! What hypocrisy in the comments !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 7th Apr 2020, 05:17am
Post #414

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
A few weeks ago I wrote about my daughters friend who was finally cleared to return to China. On the same flight there were another six South Africans, all teachers.
On Thursday last week one of the six developed a slight cough. Yesterday she died. She was 28.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 7th Apr 2020, 07:10am
Post #415

Mega City Key Holder
Oh Dave this is the thing, this virus knows no bounds. That is so sad, and I hope that your daughter’s friend won’t have caught this.

I think even if Boris Gets back home from hospital safely, he will not be able to work for some time. Dominic Raab is only standing in, there will have to be someone who can do the job longer.

Piers Morgan this morning I thought had a good idea, in that he suggested any one of our former PM’s stand in because at least they have experience of running the country. They could call on their past to right their own wrongs maybe having learned from mistakes, who knows.

I thought it was a good suggestion given these unprecedented times.

This is not a party political time. These are lives that affect us all across the board.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 7th Apr 2020, 07:44am
Post #416

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Normally I would say that anything Morgan is for I'm against but that idea has some merit. Problem would be who to appoint, the only one that springs to mind would probably not be flavour of the month with those in the current cabinet, that's John Major. I'm not a Raab fan but at least he is a better option than Gove.

I wonder why they've not considered a government of national unity, unpresidented times require unprecedented measures.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
carmella
post 7th Apr 2020, 08:06am
Post #417

Mega City Key Holder
I agree with you ash, what you say makes a lot of sense. I also am not a fan of Raab, never have been, and certainly not Gove!

There are rare occasions when I agree with Morgan, but these are awful times.

I wonder if this will change the formation of our governments in future.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 7th Apr 2020, 08:41am
Post #418

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (carmella @ 7th Apr 2020, 08:10am) *
he suggested any one of our former PM’s stand in because at least they have experience of running the country.

Anyone but Gordon Brown. yes.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 7th Apr 2020, 08:44am
Post #419

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 6th Apr 2020, 11:10pm) *
Gawd save us all ! What hypocrisy in the comments !

Yes, i'm sure Toady Gove will be doing a jig of delight behind closed doors. yes.gif

+Quote Post
carmella
post 7th Apr 2020, 10:19am
Post #420

Mega City Key Holder
Jagz we agree on some things sign_lol.gif thumbup.gif laugh.gif
Just heard Gove staying home, someone in his family has it, I think if I heard right!

When you think about it, and all those Downing Street briefings we saw, it surprises me that not more of the Cabinet have the virus!

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post

125 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd Aug 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.