Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 70's Glasgow Newspapers, Remember the Evening Citizen?
ashfield
post 25th Mar 2014, 05:28pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (The Bankie @ 25th Mar 2014, 04:09pm) *
Ashfield that was a pretty "Standard" pun. I expected better from you.

Sorry Jim, I thought I had typed your name but I must have had a pair of my old pals compositors specs on cool.gif

As for the poor pun, I'll have you know I hold the Record, no mean feat in these hard Times eyebrow.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Bankie
post 25th Mar 2014, 07:19pm
Post #62

Visitor
Member No.: 9,161
Ashfield
I must say that here in Yorkshire I Mirror your Record and if we keep this up and wait till Sunday to Post we'll get threatening e Mail's on the bush Telegraph about it from the Guardian of Standard's on the board. He might even put a Private Eye on our tail. Still, we must try to remain Independent in our views and just keep hoping for the Sun to shine on our efforts no matter what the reaction of a Scotsman to sunny weather.

Regards
Jim wacko.gif

--------------------
Living in exile in West Yorkshire

+Quote Post
BleepandBooster
post 8th Oct 2016, 12:01pm
Post #63

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,805
I worked at the Evening Citizen in the early 1970's. I had a Saturday job there and would wait for the bales to slide down the chute when I would load them into a wee van then deliver the papers to newsagents on a specific 'run'. I recall there was a delay around the new year of 1971. The bales were late, very late coming down the chutes. When they finally did start appearing they stated in the red 'Stop Press' section in the margin that there were reports of fatalities at Ibrox stadium.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th Oct 2016, 12:38pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (BleepandBooster @ 8th Oct 2016, 01:01pm) *
I worked at the Evening Citizen in the early 1970's. I had a Saturday job there and would wait for the bales to slide down the chute when I would load them into a wee van then deliver the papers to newsagents on a specific 'run'. I recall there was a delay around the new year of 1971. The bales were late, very late coming down the chutes. When they finally did start appearing they stated in the red 'Stop Press' section in the margin that there were reports of fatalities at Ibrox stadium.

A very sad time for us all Bleep.

I remember Bleep and Booster from Blue Peter. wink.gif

+Quote Post
*Black Hack*
post 30th Nov 2016, 10:24pm
Post #65

I've fond memories of the Citizen newspaper, as my dad was 1 of the many van drivers delivering the paper,in the summer holidays he used to send his van boy "up the road" and my 2 brothers and I used to take over the van boy duties,on an occasion my sister would come along too, 4 kids in the front of this old 2 seater Commer van with the engine placed between the 2 seats were we would sit, no seat belts in those days, delivering to the "big" houses in East Kilbride with long driveways, if the house had a dug you were in trouble as the bloody thing would chase you down the driveway till you reached the van snapping at your arse as you ran, my dad would be pissing himself laughing as he slowly drove away with you trying to make up ground.

+Quote Post
albageorgia
post 1st Dec 2016, 07:55am
Post #66

Visitor
Member No.: 8,707
Me and my pal used to deliver the evening papers to the flats in Germiston in the 70s we also delivered the Sunday morning papers, the driver would leave them in a close and we would sort them out, couldn't wait to get home on a Sunday morning as the whole of the flats smelt of fry ups, quite funny on a Friday when we went to collect the money, some people would not answer their door, so we would leave paper hanging out of letter box and stand out of their spy hole view, or slam the door on their landing so they would think we had gone, within seconds you would see the paper being pulled though their letter box, what I remember about the citizen was a competition with the photo of a football player and his eyes covered,

+Quote Post
*Auld Glesca Boy*
post 11th Jan 2017, 09:40pm
Post #67

With regard to the old Evening Citizen offices in St Vincent Place, a close look at the building frontage shows "Citizen Office" carved into the stonework above the entrance.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.