Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Butts... We're Not Coming Back!, Canadian tourists shun Glasgow
Scotsman
post 11th Apr 2012, 12:35pm
Post #196

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
GG you should take your camera to Shettleston Road on a Saturday and I am sure you will get similar findings to Springburn Way. Also go to the bus stops around the Forge and you will get the same again. I agree that the town is usually okay but Sauchiehall Street does tend to look really run down from litter and other things.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 11th Apr 2012, 12:45pm
Post #197

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Scotsman I have only one word to describe what was once the classiest street in the land-SKANKY.
No more no less.I used to love walking along Sauchiehall Street but now I think it has degenerated into a slum.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Apr 2012, 01:24pm
Post #198

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
The problem with sausage roll street is that it is too far away from the main shopping areas now so it is just wall to wall pubs, eateries and takeaways. Beyond the pedestrian precinct to Charing Cross it is now Bar Street, whoever granted the number of licences should be made to sweep the place twice a day forever rolleyes.gif Anyone know where Councillor Coleman lives tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Heather
post 11th Apr 2012, 05:07pm
Post #199

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I was in town today, up Sauchie, down Buckie and along Argyle.

Sauchiehall Street looked clean enough but dismal in some way. I noticed five closed shops between Hope Street & Cambridge Street. These shops are quite big, so maybe that's what gave the area a dismal appearance.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 11th Apr 2012, 05:23pm
Post #200

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I agree Heather, the closed shops definitely make the street look run down and dismal. I dont understand why the Buchanan Galleries has to be extended when there are empty properties all over the place that could be used, breathing new life into the city centre. I don't particularly like shopping in shopping malls as I like to see whats happening on the streets, some of the buskers are brilliant. Mary confused2.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 11th Apr 2012, 05:26pm
Post #201

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Aye, there's no Pettigrew & Stephens, Copland & Lye, Trerons , Lyons etc

No La Scala, no Gaumont.

The Willow Tearoom looks strangely out of place, near a pound shop and the Celtic shop. The Savoy shopping centre is a shoddy downmarket affair.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 11th Apr 2012, 05:36pm
Post #202

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I agree, lots of parts of the city look very lack lustre these days. I wish the shops and pubs would get their windows cleaned now and again. It's bad enough seeing so many shops closed down without the existing ones looking so dirty. I agree with you Mary in that I much prefer street shopping. I've said before in shopping malls you could be in Bangkok or Banknock. I like to hear all the voices and music on the street.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 11th Apr 2012, 05:45pm
Post #203

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I like St. Enoch Shopping Mall but I am not keen on the Buchanan Galleries and I don't see any reason to extend it.
As you said Mary, there are plenty closed shops that could do with some one buying them and re-opening them.

Aye your right Bill, all those big shops whose windows we gazed into in wonder when we were children are all gone.
It reminds me of the poem, Oh where is the Glasgow that I used to know. sad.gif

I was in St Enoch Centre today and it was packed with the children still being on holiday from School.
Argyle Street was busier than Sauchiehall Street.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 12th Apr 2012, 05:26am
Post #204

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
I was in Ferguslie Park in Paisley for the last couple of days on a filming project. Many outsiders imagine this area to be violent and drug ridden, and to some extent, there's some truth in this, but it doesn't tell the whole story. I met some fine people who were community activists attempting to change this viewpoint. Education is, without doubt where change starts. This was evident when we spoke to a young girl aged ten who was proud to show off her schools' environmental attainment; - they had achieved four green flags over the last six years. These flags are issued by the local council to schools who attain excellence in recycling and general cleanliness as well as a de-littering policy. This is a great idea as the children can be proud of their efforts, and lessons learned early are lessons learned for life. There are set targets for the children as well, and they are urged to pass on the lessons to younger children and family members.
I have to say, whilst in the area, there was very little litter as people begin to take a real pride in their community.
Initiatives like this can only help foster a more community orientated populace and bring some much needed pride to the area. Perhaps some of these ideas ought to be adopted in Glasgow?

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 12th Apr 2012, 02:00pm
Post #205

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Apr 2012, 05:31pm) *
Aye, there's no Pettigrew & Stephens, Copland & Lye, Trerons , Lyons etc

No La Scala, no Gaumont.

The Willow Tearoom looks strangely out of place, near a pound shop and the Celtic shop. The Savoy shopping centre is a shoddy down market affair.

Have to agree, I was brought up at Rose St & Sauchiehall St in the 50's & 60's & now I can't believe the state it's in!! From high end stores with their classy window displays to "Pound" stores with junk in them what a come-down! God knows the last time the windows were cleaned!! I remember the wee guy who used to clean the window in Trerons & C&A, he kept them sparkling, summer & winter.
On the plus side, the city appear to be at least trying to keep on top of the litter problem as every time I was there a worker was vacuuming up any garbage that had been dropped.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 12th Apr 2012, 06:08pm
Post #206

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Rose Street - that brings back memories of many happy hours spent in the Cosmo, back in the 50s and 60s. I used to walk from Killermont St bus station to my school in Holland St and back every weekday in the 50s. My aunties would often take me for afternoon tea in Pettigrews, or maybe tea and a pie with gravy at M&A Brown. I bought my first records at Biggars (still there) and loved Lyons shop at the corner of Elmbank St. High tea at La Scala while watching a movie - those were the days !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Apr 2012, 06:42pm
Post #207

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Aw Mr Cosmo, my dad used to sit with me with the newspaper and ask me to find Mr Cosmo. wub.gif

[attachment=37714:Mr_Cosmo_web.jpg]

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 12th Apr 2012, 09:24pm
Post #208

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 12th Apr 2012, 06:13pm) *
Rose Street - that brings back memories of many happy hours spent in the Cosmo, back in the 50s and 60s. I used to walk from Killermont St bus station to my school in Holland St and back every weekday in the 50s. My aunties would often take me for afternoon tea in Pettigrews, or maybe tea and a pie with gravy at M&A Brown. I bought my first records at Biggars (still there) and loved Lyons shop at the corner of Elmbank St. High tea at La Scala while watching a movie - those were the days !

I lived right across the street from the Cosmo one up, at #11, Bob the doorman would let us in for free whenever we liked, also got to see most of the great "Glesga" busker's entertaining the queues waiting to get in.
We also went to Biggars & go in the booths & listen to the latest records pretending we were going to buy them even though we had no money!! Hung around the "Luxur" café in my teen years and loved the whole area as it had everything a young person ever wanted.
Our house was always packed at the week-end with my sisters (seven of them) & their pals getting ready for the dancing, mostly the Locarno, but the pubs & clubs like the "Maryland" was also a favorite haunt.
Archie.

+Quote Post
beth
post 13th Apr 2012, 07:12am
Post #209

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
I worked in the Gaumont box office for a while 1968/69. One of the most fun jobs I ever had. Mum was disgusted with me for "working in the pictures, you don't need O'levels for that" was her war cry

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 22nd May 2012, 07:02pm
Post #210

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Ah wonder if these two enforcement dorks would have done the same thing in Parkheid or Possil ???

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.