Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shettleston
Rating 5 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 06:05pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Shettleston

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Shettleston

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
musicthom
post 18th Mar 2007, 08:29am
Post #2

Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,810
great idea
i was born on shettleston rd just across fom the state cafe and spent many a sat moning in the state ptcturehouse warching diney movies and the westerns laurel an hardy ahhhhhh fond memorys
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 18th Mar 2007, 05:41pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
My family moved to Barlanark in April 1953. The young's one's in the family still in Primary School went to St. Paul's in Shettleston Road and we went to St. Paul's Chapel on Sunday.

A crowd of us used to go to the State Cafe on a Sunday night.
One drink & six straws please. laugh.gif

My pal and I went to the State Picture House every Monday, and to save money we walked there and back singing all the way.

My older sister missed the last bus from Shettleston to Barlanark one night and had to walk home on her own. As she was walking up Hallhill Road she heard a girl screaming. The girl was being attacked by a man, so my sister picked up a brick and hit the man with it, and her and the girl ran away. My sister came home in a state and told my parents what happened and she thought she had killed the man. Dad just said , " hell mend him, if there is a report in the papers tomorrow about it, then we will go to the Police Station, but I'm not walking down to Budhill Police at this time of night ".

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Rockajock
post 24th Apr 2007, 06:19am
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,728
I was born at 1090 Shettleston Road, opposite to where the Police Station is today. I lived there till I was a Teenager when we moved to Greenfield. Since then my life has revolved around the Town. Went to Eastbank, worked as a driver with Shettleton Co-op in Amulree Street and worked for a while in the Bottle Work in Old Shettleston Road.

Presently I am a member of a local History group, The Shettleston History Project and we operate out of Shettleston Library in Wellshot Road. (Wednesday mornings between 10am and Noon). We have two Websites that are full of Memories and Stories of Shettleston. www.shettlestonproject.batcave.net and www.shettlestonhistory.bravehost.com.

Tony Jaconelli

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 24th Apr 2007, 11:00am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
My mother born 1918 lived on Budhill Avenue. Believe she went to Eastbank. Most of our family lived in Shettleston. Surnames, Matthews, Colquhoun, Barnett. Jaybee

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 24th Apr 2007, 12:24pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Knew a wonderful family who all lived in Shettleston called the Doyle's.Jack Doyle worked in a pub there for many years till he retired.I guess that would have been around 1980.Cissi Doyle's sister and brother never married for the life of me cant remember the surname ,but they were involved in St Paul church etc. John and Mary they were called. Long shot perhaps you might know them.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
betty2
post 10th Jun 2007, 11:40pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
Address on my birth certificate is 49 Annick str was baptised in St Paul,s church then later moved to carntyne My dad was a street bookie in annick st pre and post war years . I danced at the welfare in amulree st and done most of my winchin in the balcony of the state picture house sometimes the odeon. Still go to the barn club on shettleston rd. . And theres a rerr butcher [Lennon,s] that i frequent Shettleston has played a major role in my family in bygone years

still here in glesca

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 14th Jul 2007, 12:48pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
I was born in Shettleston and used to hang out there during my teen years, went to St Marks school, Sunday night my friends and I used to go talent hunting on Shettleston Rd, but I had to be careful as I had too may relatives living there and my dad was very well known in Shettleston. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 5th Aug 2007, 09:30pm
Post #9

Settling In
Member No.: 4,597
I've recently been doing my family history and a lot of my dad's family were born 'n' bred in Shettleston. I, myself, was brought up in Glenalmond Street, which, I was told then, was not Shettleston, but Sandyhills! (snobbery thing I think!!) My dad's family were the Begbies and they were scattered throughout Shettleston. I still have a newspaper cliping from 1940 when my dad's grandmother, Granny Begbie died. She was apparently a very well known and popular lady, and when she died, there was a piece written about her in the local paper. If anyone out there knows any Begbies from the Shettleston, please post here.

Thanks

--------------------
life is waaaay toooooo short!!! don't put it off!!

+Quote Post
delia
post 6th Aug 2007, 02:53pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 316
I STAYED IN SHETTLESTON FROM 1934 TILL 1950 I STAYED IN PETTIGREW ST WE MOVED 2 POLLOCK AFTER I WAS MARRIED I STAY IN FAIRBURN ST NOW IN EAST KILBRIDE. LOVE 2 HEAR 4 ANYONE FROM ROUND ABOUT THERE DELIA

+Quote Post
sandy36
post 14th Dec 2007, 01:19pm
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 4,186
my dad grew up in shettleston ardnay st i think. his mum was anne harkins and his dad was adam white. He also had a brother john white.my dad ian white went to wellshot school he was born 1948. if any one remembers the family could you let me know?

+Quote Post
SALLY J
post 3rd Apr 2008, 08:33pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,490
I was brought up in Shettleston now live in Airdrie (for my sins!).My pal Rose went to Australia in later years and is now sadly deceased but I wrote this wee poem for her just before she died and it sums up a bit of our childhood in Shettleston.
This is my first post .
FOR MY PAL ROSE

I've known my pal Rose for many years
Together we've shared our joys and tears
We grew up in a Glasgow Tenement
Where many a day with childhood games were spent
We played "wee shops" around the "backs"
Next day maybe we would swop our scraps
Hide and seek,rounders,peevers,ropes,balls and kick the can
Those gloriuos days when we had fun.

Air Raid shelters had their uses
We raided the Middens and the shelters were oor "wee hooses"
We went to the swings with our bottle of water and pieces n'jam
If oor Mammies were flushed we were treated to ginger and pieces n' spam
Tollcross Park was another treat for us
And a ride on the tram caur not the bus
Empty ginger bottles bought our treats
From "Mary Macks" we got these sweets
We went to the pictures and envied the Stars
One day we said we'll have the fancy cars.

We never did get these vast riches
Or any of our great wishes
We're seperated by many miles and I lament
But we're still great pals from the days of the Glasgow Tenement

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Apr 2008, 08:26am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I wasn't born in Shettleston but my mother went to Plains, Airdrie to give birth and I moved back to Shettleston at 6 days old on 6 June 1942. We stayed in a big semi-ruin called Wellshot House at 822 Shettleston Road, across from Deans pub.

On reflection. the area was like Little Italy with all the cafes, chipshops etc.- even the barber was Italian (Peter Eusebi) and also our doctor (Peter Capaldi).

I went to Shettleston Public School until I was 9, when I moved to Glasgow High ( my father wasn't well-off but it was the decision of my 2 maiden aunties who lived at no 822, next to the church. I suppose we were thought of as "toffs"but we were not snobs. My father was a bit eccentric in the way of collecting things and, at 10 years of age, I had not one bike but 5, which meant I had a lot of pals.

My favourite things were the Palaceum, when we saved up 14 jam jars to get sevenpence for the stalls. I remember seeing "Annie Get Your Gun" about 7 times.

My name is William Stewart and I later moved to North Mount Vernon (told you I was posh) with my aunties and my folks moved to Plains about 1954. I remember names like McCartin, Reilly, Milne, MacMillan, McLaughlin etc

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Apr 2008, 08:28am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I wasn't born in Shettleston but my mother went to Plains, Airdrie to give birth and I moved back to Shettleston at 6 days old on 6 June 1942. We stayed in a big semi-ruin called Wellshot House at 822 Shettleston Road, across from Deans pub.

On reflection. the area was like Little Italy with all the cafes, chipshops etc.- even the barber was Italian (Peter Eusebi) and also our doctor (Peter Capaldi).

I went to Shettleston Public School until I was 9, when I moved to Glasgow High ( my father wasn't well-off but it was the decision of my 2 maiden aunties who lived at no 822, next to the church. I suppose we were thought of as "toffs"but we were not snobs. My father was a bit eccentric in the way of collecting things and, at 10 years of age, I had not one bike but 5, which meant I had a lot of pals.

My favourite things were the Palaceum, when we saved up 14 jam jars to get sevenpence for the stalls. I remember seeing "Annie Get Your Gun" about 7 times.

My name is William Stewart and I later moved to North Mount Vernon (told you I was posh) with my aunties and my folks moved to Plains about 1954. I remember names like McCartin, Reilly, Milne, MacMillan, McLaughlin etc w.r.stewart@hotmail.com

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 10th Apr 2008, 08:29am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715

Hi Bilbo was it jam jars or ginger bottles you saved up?
Or are you using a figure of speech?

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.