Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ruchazie
Rating 5 V
*May Beale*
post 17th Apr 2014, 08:46pm
Post #31

Hi there,
Loved reading this page!! Recognised lots of names. I moved to Caprington Street as a baby in '57 and lived there 'til I was 16 in '73. Our surname was McMillan - 6 of us. My friends and people I remember are,
Caprington St: McPhee family, Ross family, Clements family, Finlay and Finlayson, Dunn's, Hynds, O'Neil.
Craighouse St: McCann's (Teresa was my wee pal as a child), Campbells, (went to school with Anne) Duke's, Webb's (Ruth was in my class) Winchcoles (terrorised me!!) McHaffie's. To name but a few.
Had a great childhood - there was a group of us who went everywhere on our bikes - even to Kirkintilloch Swimming!! kenny McMaster, Alan Kennedy, Joe Clark, James Clements, Liz McNair, Carol Clements. Could go on all night. If you remember me, or any of the above, please leave your comments. Ta xx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 12th Jun 2014, 12:36pm
Post #32

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
Hi all ruchazians ,I have been searching a few years now fir a really good friend from late 70s .his name was John Cameron he stayed no 4 Claypotts rd with his wife Margaret and daughters Ann and Joan also Margaret,John worked with me in Cuthbertsons music shop our firms van was always parked at his close ,Cuthbertson was name on van ,not had any contact since 1980,John was also member of Terretorial Army at yorkhill.would dearly love to hear from him or members of the family

+Quote Post
zascot
post 13th Jun 2014, 12:15pm
Post #33

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
While looking for people does anyone remember John Law and John Little who were mates of mine ( Alex. Rae) all from Milincroft Road around 1960?

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
SteveH
post 1st Jul 2014, 04:52pm
Post #34

Settling In
Member No.: 26,354
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 07:20pm) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Ruchazie

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Ruchazie

GG.

+Quote Post
SteveH
post 3rd Jul 2014, 11:53am
Post #35

Settling In
I lived in 8 Dunnotter St. This block was all fire service houses, The Hamiltons,McFarlanes,Clarks,Thompsons and the Floods, can not remember the others. I went to St Philips and St Gregorys. Some of the names mentioned I think I remember Alex. Rae and Tam McGregor and Joan Purcel. The names I remember from my block were Ian H. Andy T. Brian and Kathleen Clark Wilson F. and I think David Mc. just remembered Janice T. would be great to hear from old friends, great site , bringing back good old times.

+Quote Post
SteveH
post 4th Jul 2014, 02:59pm
Post #36

Settling In
QUOTE (zascot @ 29th Aug 2011, 07:13am) *
Im Alex. Rae lived at 32 Milncroft rd, opposite Elibank st. in our close were thhe Stevensons,Kings, Smiths,Fullertons,Frazers and Doigs, ran about with John Law and John Little. I went to St Philips and St Gregory`s. Knew Jim Diamonds Brother Laurie the Coils, Hyslops, Prices had good memories of Ruchazie moved there in 55 from Townhead then moved to Riddrie in 62 then out to South Africa in 71.

Hi Alex, I think I remember you, I went to the same schools, and lived in Dunnotter ST. HAVE JUST FOUND THE SITE, BRINGING BACK OLD TIMES. ALL THE BEST REGARDS STEVE.

+Quote Post
barbiegirl
post 1st Aug 2014, 01:14pm
Post #37

Visitor
Member No.: 8,031
I was conceived at a Hogmany party in 1965 at the Great Western Road high flats in Glasgow. The evening had started in Curlers Bar before Ronnie Gordon an Engineer gave out the invites. 9 months later I was adopted to a family in 1966. My birth dad found out somehow and went to my birth mums door in Drumchapel just hours after I had been given away. His name was Brian (surname unknown). He would have been about 19 back then and only about 5' 4" or 5". A fashionable dresser, and wore a smart green duffel coat. Ronald sadly died a few years ago and I'm unable to get any further information there. Another lady at the party was Joan Watson from Cloan Ave, Drumchapel. She emigrated to Canada and became a nurse. My birth mum has no more information to give. I believe Brian may have been a friend of George Harwood a Painter & Decorator from Pendeen Crescent, Barlanark. He sadly has passed away also. Does this ring a bell with anyone? My real dad knew about me and could never do anything to find me. 47 years on can you help me find him please? I would be very grateful and maybe you could PM me if you have any information. Many thanks.

+Quote Post
weelew
post 16th Dec 2014, 10:13pm
Post #38

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
Searching for Jim Usher and Albert Weir , who used to stay in Ruchazie .Please contact me if anyone knows them

+Quote Post
*Allan Dickson*
post 24th Dec 2014, 09:24pm
Post #39

Hi there. I am Allan Dickson and moved to Ruchazie in about 1955 to live at 20 Borthwick Street. Initially we we all had to attend Riddrie Primary school until Ruchazie Primary opened in about 1957. My family emigrated to Rhodesia in 1958 but overs the years we have migrated further south and now live in Cape Town.

In planning for a visit down memory lane next year I came across this wonderful website. What a let down to see that not only has our old close been demolished but also Ruchazie Primary school. Very very sad.

At school I can remember well the following people - John Eagleton, William MacNiven, Valerie Miller ( my first love) and Rosemary Livingstone amongst others. Does anyone recognize these names and have any information on them?

Allan Dickson.

+Quote Post
*Mrs D*
post 4th Mar 2015, 12:35pm
Post #40

Hi. My family lived in Claypotts Road from 1952 to 1969. I went to St Phillips and St Gregory's. Lived next door to Anne Rosie and across the road from Linda Smith. My best pal at school was Deborah Brady. Played with Theresa MCann, Anne Campbell, Caroline Byrne and Anne Cassidy. Family moved to Cranhill in 1969. I moved to the Highlands with my husband in 1980 but came back to Glasgow in 1986 and back to the East End. Does anyone have school photographs of St Phillips Primary from 62-67? Happy days back then.

+Quote Post
hellsbells
post 4th Mar 2015, 12:38pm
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,708
QUOTE (weelew @ 16th Dec 2014, 10:30pm) *
Searching for Jim Usher and Albert Weir , who used to stay in Ruchazie .Please contact me if anyone knows them

Hi. I'm Jim Usher's sister and I remember Albert Weir.

+Quote Post
margie
post 19th Apr 2015, 12:27pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Hi does anyone remember Jim Hutchison who lived in Drumlochy Rd in the 60,s?

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 21st Apr 2015, 10:18am
Post #43

Hi I'm Frank, never lived in Ruchazie, we lived in Abercromby Street, in the Gallowgate, but, my uncle, auntie, and cousins stayed in Bankend Street, either 25 or 35 , I think. Harry Mullen stayed above them. Was going there until mid 70's, when they moved elsewhere, Springburn, I think. Joe Stenhouse was my uncle, Mary his wife, Josephine (Josey), Jim (Rocky), Andrew, Ann, and Elizabeth, are my cousins.

Anybody remember them? Maybe I even knew you back in the day!!

+Quote Post
*Ian Hamilton*
post 26th May 2015, 01:33pm
Post #44

QUOTE (SteveH @ 4th Jul 2014, 03:07pm) *
Hi Alex, I think I remember you, I went to the same schools, and lived in Dunnotter ST. HAVE JUST FOUND THE SITE, BRINGING BACK OLD TIMES. ALL THE BEST REGARDS STEVE.

+Quote Post
*Ian Hamilton*
post 26th May 2015, 01:43pm
Post #45

Dear Steve H, This is Ian Hamilton. I lived at 8 Dunnottar St from 1954 till 1970 when my parents, John and Barbara, moved to Newlands. I also remember the McFarlanes, Floods, Thompsons, Nolans, Services, Clarks. Because I didn't go to Garthamlock school I quickly lost touch with folk. After Strathclyde University, I went to study theology at Edinburgh university and became a minister (I became a Christian in my late teens). I am now the minister of Cambridge Presbyterian Church (south of the border, but it's ok!). I am married with four children and now four grandchildren. How time flies. What are you up to? Are you in touch with any folk from number 8? I am presently in the USA speaking at some conferences, but there is no place like home. I remember Ruchazie with affection,mp laying in the fields, walking to H/Loch, bicycling to the Capsies, hide and seek in the sugarolly mountains (do you remember them?). Hope you are well. Warmest greetings Ian H

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.