Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1181 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possilpark
Rating 4 V
flam
post 14th Oct 2008, 06:39pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Janette McCormack. There was a Lizzie McVey stayed at 82 Sunnylaw St, I think the family consisted of Ellen,May,Betty and John,but it could be a different McVey Cheers Flim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kmacc
post 14th Oct 2008, 10:25pm
Post #32

Resident
Member No.: 185
Hi Flim could you tell me anything about the new flats
inside St Teresas grounds???

+Quote Post
flam
post 19th Oct 2008, 12:11pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Kmacc Its a little while since I have been down that area but it looks as if they where nearly completed then, but there has been an Old Folks type of Home called Craigbank, which I presume was named after the street in Keppochhill Road which ran towards St Teresa,s ground and backs on to Whites Fairground (Shows) if I find out anymore info I will pass it on.. Cheers Flim

Hi Kmacc Its a little while since I have been down that area but it looks as if they where nearly completed then, but there has been an Old Folks type of Home called Craigbank, which I presume was named after the street in Keppochhill Road which ran towards St Teresa,s ground and backs on to Whites Fairground (Shows) if I find out anymore info I will pass it on.. Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
AnneTeak
post 4th Nov 2008, 07:49pm
Post #34

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,190
Hi!
I was born in Possil - 22 Ardoch Street aka 1957 (WAS it that long ago !!)

My family names were McVey/McMahon - of Lambhill and Possil (apparently the first ones to move from Lambhill to Possil had travel sickness..wink.gif))

I know the previous McVey names above and The Carroll family from Mansion Street.

Trying to keep this brief as it's my first post - happy to be here !!

Ps Shops in Bardowie Street...Annie Ritchies ...had my Bunty comic on order there as well as regular sweeties!!( Annie lived across the road in Ardoch Street)
Devines's fruit shop had their cellar in Ardoch Street -I got locked in there with daughter of fruit shop by her cousin - nope I haven't forgotten !
My uncle was the weighbridge man in Mansion Street (think it was Mansion Street )

Cheerieby!

--------------------
Sittin on top o' the bus - looking down...............

+Quote Post
flam
post 4th Nov 2008, 08:19pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Patti Where you related to the McVeys in Sunnylaw St,I believe Old Harry McVey was from the Shangie,which was about a half mile from Lambhill Bridge going Eastwards.Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
AnneTeak
post 5th Nov 2008, 04:49pm
Post #36

Super Resident
Hi Flam
Doing a bit of research there about the name Harry McVey - doesn't ring a bell!
But according to my Mum there was a big family of McVey's so it's possible.
She knew Lizzie McVey and her daughters- also, I grew up with my granny so I have memories and stories which she told me about her generation.
My gran was born in the Blackhill cottages or Row I think they were called along the Balmore Road. There was a big family and the eldest daughter Nellie brought them up as the mother died young. My granny and her closest sister Katie used to walk barefoot to St Agnes's school - it's fitting that they are now buried in the old part of St Kentigern's just beside the same road they walked.
She married Patrick McVey from the street where the tram car used to turn in in Lambhill - think it started with an 'S' and her sister Katie married Joe Cushley from Lambhill.
The Cushleys lived in 66 Mansion Street at one time and my Gran and my Mum in 292 Denmark Street.
My period of time in Possil was from 1957 to 1969 I loved the tenement I grew up in and love the description that the writer Jack House used .... that the tenements were 'vertical villages' - some doors I would chap on in the hope of a sweetie, some where I would sit and pat the dog or cat on the mat, others where I would run past in case the old man or woman would come out and scowl (they're the ones that the crowd of kids would tie the rope round the doorhandles;))
It's great to share and hear other people's memories of Possil and the rest of North Glasgow as well - our family were spread out like everyone elses !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 5th Nov 2008, 06:15pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (AnneTeak @ 5th Nov 2008, 09:57am) *
Hi Flam
Doing a bit of research there about the name Harry McVey - doesn't ring a bell!
But according to my Mum there was a big family of McVey's so it's possible.
She knew Lizzie McVey and her daughters- also, I grew up with my granny so I have memories and stories which she told me about her generation.
My gran was born in the Blackhill cottages or Row I think they were called along the Balmore Road. There was a big family and the eldest daughter Nellie brought them up as the mother died young. My granny and her closest sister Katie used to walk barefoot to St Agnes's school - it's fitting that they are now buried in the old part of St Kentigern's just beside the same road they walked.
She married Patrick McVey from the street where the tram car used to turn in in Lambhill - think it started with an 'S' and her sister Katie married Joe Cushley from Lambhill.
The Cushleys lived in 66 Mansion Street at one time and my Gran and my Mum in 292 Denmark Street.
My period of time in Possil was from 1957 to 1969 I loved the tenement I grew up in and love the description that the writer Jack House used .... that the tenements were 'vertical villages' - some doors I would chap on in the hope of a sweetie, some where I would sit and pat the dog or cat on the mat, others where I would run past in case the old man or woman would come out and scowl (they're the ones that the crowd of kids would tie the rope round the doorhandles;))
It's great to share and hear other people's memories of Possil and the rest of North Glasgow as well - our family were spread out like everyone elses !!
Lovely memories Anne,I was in the next wee vertical village of Springburn.

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Nov 2008, 03:41pm
Post #38

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Post from betty king via the 'Report Post' button:

Hi i was born in Killearn st at the Corner of Saracen st and i played in the chapel park St Theresa's ,and the shows used to come about 3 times a year i can still feel the excitement when the shows were in town, right at the end of Saracen st just before Keppochhill Rd we never had much money but we enjoyed them anyway. I went to Possilpark junior school and after i passed my quali i went to Possil High along Lambhill we used to get the tram outside the Askit factory we got a halfpenny special on the tram because we were school kids.
Great Days

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
AnneTeak
post 7th Nov 2008, 10:15am
Post #39

Super Resident
QUOTE (wellfield @ 5th Nov 2008, 06:23pm) *
Lovely memories Anne,I was in the next wee vertical village of Springburn.

Hello Wellfield
My granny would take me shopping at the Co op in Springburn - the streets were as busy as Argyle Street smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
flam
post 9th Nov 2008, 01:22pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Anne Teak-The street you are possibly talking about where the tramcar turned in just before Lambhill Canal Bridge would have been Strachur St,I believe they may be photos of the Trams and the Street in Mitchell Library,also I know some Cushleys who came from Possil, Robert and Thomas (He was murdered) a few years ago, a few friends of mine went to Possil School,I went to St Cuthberts for a couple of years Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
dmf
post 9th Nov 2008, 08:09pm
Post #41

Visitor
Member No.: 4,771
Hi Anne Teak,

Was the weighbridge not in Denmark Street just at the junction with Bardowie Street?

dmf

+Quote Post
flam
post 11th Nov 2008, 11:13pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Hi dmf I am almost certain you are correct about the Weghbridge it was as you say in Denmark St ,not far from Johnsons rag store Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
AnneTeak
post 12th Nov 2008, 06:57am
Post #43

Super Resident
Hi dmf/Flim
Apologies - you are both correct the weighbridge was indeed in Denmark Street.
I always got mixed up with the street names across the traffic lights in Saracen Street!
I used to cross the road and remember The Lucky Star fish n chip shop on my right then cross over again to the corner of Denmark Street and get sixpence off my uncle in the weighbridge;)))

--------------------

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 12th Nov 2008, 09:58pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi john watson lived 98 carbeth st top landing above mccaffertys left 1963 to australia now living new zaland went to possil school infifties goalkeeper saracen ne 1954 to 1959 then possil ym any body out there remember me like to get in touch with old freinds cheers john

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 12th Nov 2008, 11:57pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi john watson here again just some memories of possil i remember ada s fish shop i was barred there my mate then frank buchanan threw a stink bomb in the shop and i got the blame her husband even got the polis i also deliverd the milk and rolls at mary malcolms it took two hours in snow and rain i had to carry a big basket no trolys in they days anybody remember big ugg whith his six shooters terifying all the weans at sarecen st my mates and i raiked the midens best ones balmore rd my cousin agnes morrison used to run the concerts in the back yard steels the fruit shop had the best ice lollies in possil the bookie george robertson took bets at the back of my close hope someone has memories of in fifties cheers john

+Quote Post

1181 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.