Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Partick
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:57pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Partick

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Partick

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angel
post 7th Apr 2007, 06:32pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 05:14 PM) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Partick

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Partick

GG.
my memories are mostly childhood one"s .... playing rounders on the street in the
summer evenings along with the other games like kick the can, peever, going after the G.I."s
looking for "any gum chum' going to the matinee " the standard pictue house in Particular,
and visiting my Auntie in Anniesland, she always gave us a good dinner when we visited, also
a bunch of us kids would go to the kelvengrove park, play in the fountain there and get chased away by the parkie, also the paddling pond , but getting chased by the parkie was better fun.
we would also search for Sanny Sand Shoe " A Flasher" and when we saw him the chase was on, great fun, fished for baggy meenies "minnoes" in Queen Vistoria park, Whiteinch, went to the swimming pool there as well. As a teenager, after church on Sunday we would visit the art
galleris in Kelvingrove to check out the talent, sometimes that was a great laugh .
well, thats about it . cheers Angel

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 7th Apr 2007, 08:58pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
hi angel we used to have a san shoe sanny in maryhill [according to our mothers]

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 8th Apr 2007, 07:52am
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
My mother lived in doon the brae at 66 Partick Bridge St until she got married for the first couple of years they lived at 29 Parick Bridge St then moved to the Townhead.

I was born when my parent lived there and was baptisted in St Simon's. For years we visited my Granny and Grandad at 66 and I loved it, we use to play in the swing park on the corner.

My Grandad use to drink in the Springwell. I remember him getting dressed and going up there taking great care of his pencil thin moustache using an eyebrow pencil to colour it darker.

One of my Uncle's worked in Spillars for years and another one worked in the Kelvin Hall. Both my mother's sister's and brother lived in Partick. My mum went to St Peter's Girls and so did most of my cousin's of course the boys went to St Peter's boys.

We use to go to the ABC minor's in Byres Road most Saturday's we would get the underground from St Enoch's and get off at Hillhead meet our cousins at the pictures then walk down to my Granny's afterwards.

My Granny moved to Hayburn St then to Rosevale St finally to Dumbarton Road. My Auntie has lived in Hayburn St for over 40 years and my other Auntie was in the Partick Fire Station after it was converted. She recently sold her house there and moved to Drumchaple to be closer to her daughter and her family.

My Uncle moved to Anderson then back to Partick before he died.

I still have quite a few relatives still in the Partick area, and you wouldn't get them to move they just love the place.

+Quote Post
angel
post 8th Apr 2007, 05:38pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Anne1 @ 7th Apr 2007, 08:15 PM) *
hi angel we used to have a san shoe sanny in maryhill [according to our mothers]

Hello Anne1- maybe he was the sanny san shoe we chased from the Kelvin grove Park. O - don't tell me there was more of them .. " anyway I'm no goin efter them anymair "
cannea run fast enough noo. Angel

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
angel
post 8th Apr 2007, 05:42pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (weesmasher @ 8th Apr 2007, 07:09 AM) *
My mother lived in doon the brae at 66 Partick Bridge St until she got married for the first couple of years they lived at 29 Parick Bridge St then moved to the Townhead.

I was born when my parent lived there and was baptisted in St Simon's. For years we visited my Granny and Grandad at 66 and I loved it, we use to play in the swing park on the corner.

My Grandad use to drink in the Springwell. I remember him getting dressed and going up there taking great care of his pencil thin moustache using an eyebrow pencil to colour it darker.

One of my Uncle's worked in Spillars for years and another one worked in the Kelvin Hall. Both my mother's sister's and brother lived in Partick. My mum went to St Peter's Girls and so did most of my cousin's of course the boys went to St Peter's boys.

We use to go to the ABC minor's in Byres Road most Saturday's we would get the underground from St Enoch's and get off at Hillhead meet our cousins at the pictures then walk down to my Granny's afterwards.

My Granny moved to Hayburn St then to Rosevale St finally to Dumbarton Road. My Auntie has lived in Hayburn St for over 40 years and my other Auntie was in the Partick Fire Station after it was converted. She recently sold her house there and moved to Drumchaple to be closer to her daughter and her family.

My Uncle moved to Anderson then back to Partick before he died.

I still have quite a few relatives still in the Partick area, and you wouldn't get them to move they just love the place.

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
angel
post 8th Apr 2007, 06:01pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
hello weesmasher, you do have nice memories of Partick and your relations, I went to the same school as your mother and attended St. Simons, as well and had great times in the swingpark as
well....
it was really in dunaskin Sreet " commonly known as the " Quarry"
I have a brother who lives in drumchapel, he and is family still go to Partick a lot.
I was back there about 2yrs ago, had a walk around, There are lots of changes, the swing park has long gone and no more Partick Bridge St. as we knew it, but still ST. Simons is there.
Cheers Angel

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 1st Sep 2007, 06:53pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Sorry I am a bit off topic here.

Anne 1, I also remember Sanshoe Sanny when I lived in Maryhill. Did you also know "wee doutie?" That's what we called him anyway - he swaggered about Maryhill singing with a wee fag in end his mouth [a dout] and was a right character = he wasn't the size of tuppence.

There was also a massive big skinny guy who used to tap dance and sing outside the Glassgow Empire and also the cinemas. He always wore a dinner suit. I think he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic but he was good entertainment.

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 6th Nov 2007, 12:54am
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,040
My mum stayed in Partick before they moved to Drumchapel
and so did her cousin Bernadette hurels(spelling)
my mum's name is cathy walker does anyone know her or her
cousin?

+Quote Post
murn
post 6th Nov 2007, 01:23am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
QUOTE (Anne1 @ 7th Apr 2007, 04:15 PM) *

My Mum used to tell us tae get tae bed or sanshoe sanny would get us

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 6th Nov 2007, 01:32am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
MHG I mentioned wee doutie in one of the Maryhill posts, I can still see him walking down the road singing and talking away to himself biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 6th Nov 2007, 02:27am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Sorry Mags, never saw yer post. He was a wee character that "wee doutie." Ye hardly get anyone like that nowadays.

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 8th Nov 2007, 01:58am
Post #13

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,040
I was on the phone tonight asking my mum where she stayed in Partick
she told me she stayed in Fordyce st & her cousin Bernadette Hurles
stayed in 23 Highland st.
She then started telling me about HAIRY MERRY that went about wae a fur
coat on singing ave maria,all the catholic's would wrap money up in newspaper
and throw it out the windae tae her.
Well this guy used tae copy her,he would sing the ave maria & the sash tae
the Prodicents till one time he sang the wrong song tae the wrong people
and they heated the money up and scalded his hands with it.

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 8th Nov 2007, 02:02am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
MHG sorry ,I just meant it was funny how I had mentioned wee doubtie, and so did you I was so glad some one else remembered seeing him, as I thought since Iwas getting aulder I wis getting dafter rolleyes.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 22nd Nov 2008, 09:20pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Rab drew his first breath in No. 24, Thornwood Drive. 1940. Bombs were dropping. No wonder it was a quick labour!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.