Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kinning Park
Rating 5 V
*Guest*
post 24th Mar 2010, 05:50pm
Post #16

forgot to mention......
Theres some gr8 photos of the Gorbals/govanhill and various other areas either on or using links from urbanglasgow.co.uk... happy hunting!
Steve
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eieio
post 26th Mar 2010, 01:49am
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,298
Steve,

The Urban Govanhill site was great....I managed to find a few photos of the bottom of Rutland Crescent and you can just see my granny's window in the corner ! Thanks for that.

+Quote Post
**Steve**
post 26th Mar 2010, 07:33pm
Post #18

eieio

glad u liked the site, goin through the site theres lots of links to all sorts of areas as I am finding out.
regards
Steve

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 14th May 2010, 01:38pm
Post #19

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
Hi Steve. Can you tell me exactly where on "urbanglasgow" you found the photo of Admiral St. Thanks

+Quote Post
**Steve**
post 14th May 2010, 08:46pm
Post #20

FAO mrssnuffy

Hi!
To find Admiral Street/Paisley Road West
1 enter the urbanglasgow.co.uk site
2 click the search tab(top of page on the right.... ish?)
3 type in fergie's bar(make sure you click the "search in urbanglasgow" and not the web)
4 scroll down to "Glasgow In The 1970s-Tradeston to Govan" click link.
5 enjoy streapadairs photos as you scroll down to Paisley Road West/Admiral Street......
happy hunting!

Regards
Steve.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 16th May 2010, 03:20pm
Post #21

There is another KP site on 11 Stanley Place where a few ex pats have been posting looking for relatives/friends etc......

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 20th May 2010, 08:15pm
Post #22

Super Visitor
Mrs Snuffy here. Many thanks for info. Found Admiral Street but not the side I wanted. Lived above the Old Toll Bar with my grandparents in the dark ages!!

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 21st May 2010, 09:28am
Post #23

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
Have you seen this one mrssnuffy:
http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...amp;t=4&x=1

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 21st May 2010, 01:01pm
Post #24

Super Visitor
Great pic. A bit before my time but still brings back happy memories. Thanks.

+Quote Post
campsie
post 4th Oct 2010, 10:47pm
Post #25

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
I was born in Kelvingrove, then spent my first two years in Aberdeenshire before coming to live with my grandparents Annie and Hugh Duncan a 9 McLean St. there was a family called Bell in our close who had a daughter called Rena. Also remember Margaret McGowan who lived a up next close.
Big John Waugh who worked on the docks lived in our close with his lovely wife Betty who I called 'Auntie' as that was the way then.

I went to Lorne St., School and my teacher was Miss Ralston who was great. But every day Rena Bell and Margaret McGowan after school would bully me all the way home, even though I knew they would be waiting for me I still went to school as I loved it so much. I think being an only child had something to do with it.

Later moved to the Gorbals after my grandparents died.

+Quote Post
campsie
post 4th Oct 2010, 11:01pm
Post #26

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
I was born in Kelvingrove, then spent my first two years in Aberdeenshire before coming to live with my grandparents Annie and Hugh Duncan a 9 McLean St. there was a family called Bell in our close who had a daughter called Rena. Also remember Margaret McGowan who lived a up next close.
Big John Waugh who worked on the docks lived in our close with his lovely wife Betty who I called 'Auntie' as that was the way then.

I went to Lorne St., School and my teacher was Miss Ralston who was great. But every day Rena Bell and Margaret McGowan after school would bully me all the way home, even though I knew they would be waiting for me I still went to school as I loved it so much. I think being an only child had something to do with it.

Later moved to the Gorbals after my grandparents died.

+Quote Post
*JJ30*
post 23rd Nov 2010, 01:47am
Post #27

Hi
I am researching my family tree at the moment and came across this site for Kinning Park. All of my dad's side came from KP. His name was Michael (known as Mick) McCall. They stayed at Blackburn St, Plantation St, Paisley Rd West. He had sisters Isa, Betty, Ellen and brothers Willie and John. I believe my granny Elizabeth (Lizzy) McCall had a shop on Plantation St but don't know if this is true. Would like to hear from anyone who remembers them?

Thanks

+Quote Post
sensibleshoes
post 29th Dec 2010, 05:41pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,408
QUOTE (Steve Brown @ 29th Mar 2008, 09:51pm) *
I lived at 212 Seaward street 1968 - early 70s, I have great memories of that time, 'wee' mary's shop, the hub of the street. I went to Our Lady & St Margarets School, had a girlfriend called Rosemary whom I still have fond memories of.
I have tried to locate anyone from Seawaed Street (top end opposite the whisky bond, as it was then.) It seems like everyone from that era never existed, ive not been able to find anyone, but what a great and unforgettable part of my life, Kinning park ... brilliant!
Steve

I knew Brown's from Seaward St. They lived in my Aunts building. There were LOTS of boys and 3 wee girls.

+Quote Post
Kenny Hill
post 16th Feb 2011, 05:16pm
Post #29

Settling In
Member No.: 10,339
I lived at number 20 Sleads Street (in the close) I lived there from 1957 (when I was 1 year-old) until we got moved because they were demolishing the building, I think that was when I was about 11 or 12. Next door neighbour was Mrs McCulloch who worked in Gray Dunn as did my mother, and Mrs Thompson (everyone called her 'auld granny Thompson' ).....Her grandkids lived with her....The Sweeny's....John Sweeny, I remember the most.

I remember the Arnotts who lived across the road at 17 (I think) I played football with Ian and he had an older brother Walter. There was also the Steele's and the frazers who stayed at number 21. I remember Archie Steele and his cousin Davy Fraser. We all used to play football in the street using the 'milky' garage door as a goal for three and in. We also used to climb the fence at Jedd Brothers paper work and play among the bales of waste magazines and newspapers.....(some nice magazines in there by the way.....heheh wink.gif )

I remember a John McMillan who lived next close at number 18 and a Jim Meechan who's father was blind who lived in the close at number 22.

I remember we used to have some great games of football playing against the boys from Stanley Street....We used to play those games on vermont street using the street lamp posts on opposite sides of the street as the goal posts.

Happy days indeed.

+Quote Post
wheeghee
post 16th Feb 2011, 05:41pm
Post #30

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,999
Anyone drink in the Red Lion Paisley Road Weat biggrin.gif

--------------------
Nullis in verba

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.