Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Govanhill
jaybee
post 11th Oct 2011, 12:44pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Its Jean Sandy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**monalisa**
post 25th Oct 2011, 11:35pm
Post #32

QUOTE (cathy hutcheon @ 6th Oct 2010, 12:00am) *
Hi
i lived in govanhill st from1963 till1972 my familys name was wright (james.johnny.patsy.mattie.cathy and rita) does anyone remember them
My wee ma was brought up there in 28 seath st her maiden name was mcqueen great site

I was born at number 11 Seath Street,in my grannies house, in 1958. She was called Martha Hendry and my grandpa was called Andrew Hendry. My grannie died in the 90's. We lived there for a while when my mum and dad split up, in the late 60's. I went to Holycross for a little while, don't know how long for, my memory is not that great. I can remember the Mcquilters, who lived across the road,and the eldest daughter was my friend at the time. We moved to England,but used to visit when ever we could. We are Billy, Jackie, Liz, Andrew and Deenna Milligan. Does anybody remember us?

+Quote Post
**southsider**
post 12th Nov 2011, 08:16pm
Post #33

govanhill used to be a great place to stay but unfortunatly the area has seen a decline in the last few years there used to be a great community spirit about the old place i was down last week as i moved to irvine god what a shock i got didnt meet anyone i knew from the old days has everyone moved away ? was so sad to see the decline in allison street calders street kingarth street were i stayed i feel sorry for the decent folk of govanhill how was this great district allow to go downhill so fast in the old days the place was spotless took a stroll up by my old school the victoria was shocked to see it closed and surrounding streets looking like a rubbish tip was really saddened i think the city fathers would turn in their grave at the demise of this once great area

+Quote Post
Tricia281
post 27th Jan 2012, 01:58am
Post #34

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,345
I was brought up in Hickman and moved in 1966 to Castlemilk but have great memories of Govanhill. Calder Street picture house and then the swanky Odeon at Eglinton Toll on a Saturday morning for 6 cartoons and 3 'features', all for a sixpence! We stayed in the close next to 'Tony's' the shop. I played with the kids from Jamieson Street and the only two I remember now were Ruby Murray and Elizabeth Mc Nally (I think!). I remember going to the swing park near Calder Streer and Bennan Square, where hidden amongst the houses was a wee park and my mum used to take us there with peeces and jam!! If anyone has photos of Hickman Street I would love the see them. They had pulled down the old tenements early on for the motorway - that has finally arrived - and so I had no chance to visit our part Hickman Street when I lived in Glasgow.

I see no-one has posted on this for a while but hoping there are some people out there who lived there in the early 60's! smile.gif
Tricia

+Quote Post
**Alan**
post 30th Mar 2012, 03:46pm
Post #35

1. BB cinema I - Victoria road/ Cuthbertson Street. Opened in September 1912 by JJ Bennell in an old skating rink. Archictect J Campbell Reid; there was seating for 1,500. Closed and demolished 1922
Attached Image

2. BB Cinerama II / New Cinerama / Odeon Eglinton Toll - 201 Victoria Road / Butterbiggins Road (waste land to the side of the Samaritans also the site of a petrol station. Sold to Gaumont, 1929. Auditorium extended and a new entrance on Butterbiggins Road, incorporating a large sunburst design, added in 1931, by architect James L Ross to seat 2,662. Renamed New Cinerama from 1948. Rebuilt, renamed Odeon, 24.2.64. s. 2,003.

Attached Image

3. Calder cinema - 302, Calder Street - Opened 25.4.32 by Harry Winocour (W Regent) Arch. Cowieson's. s. 1,250. Sold, 1954, to Green's. Cl. 1967. Bingo until 1972. Dem. 1981.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tricia281
post 7th Sep 2012, 01:52pm
Post #36

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,345
Thanks for the photos Alan!

Tricia

+Quote Post
joycewilson
post 7th Sep 2012, 04:32pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,109
Some of Govanhill Area. Taken 27th May 2012.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
kenb
post 8th Sep 2012, 08:31am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
my journey man mentor and friend lived in dixon ave i think he died therein squalor as it is today
shame
sad.gif jimmy murray rip

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
stratson
post 24th Sep 2012, 03:23pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (Sandy Gardiner @ 27th Jul 2011, 10:50pm) *
I am Sandy Gardiner, who are you?

Sandy,
Did not know Gardiner family.

I am Anne Murray, second youngest of our family thumbup.gif .

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
*Donna Mcnally*
post 30th Apr 2013, 03:17pm
Post #40

Hi all my Gran and Granda McNally lived in 132 Jamison st. My Dad was the eldest of 14 his name was Alex , we stayed in Calder st, in between the fruit shop and the of sales our bedroom window looked into cathcart rd , loved it there, fantastic memories smile.gif sandy do you have a brother Lindsay if so my brother John knows him .. 132 jamison st and 265 calder st still standing smile.gif ..

+Quote Post
stratson
post 3rd May 2013, 01:09pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Donna, I know all of McNally family, Peggy was my age group. One of your Aunts passed recently. I am Anne Murray, Lila's younger sister(80 now) Lila was mother of Daniel and the late Marilyn. Where are you now, Quite coincidentally Daniel is coming from England for weekend, he will be paying a visit to James and his wife,.

Re Sandy Gardiner do not ever recall his family. Perhaps Sandy would have known Lila, she used to live in Jamieson Street 39 anti 1965. thumbup.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
stratson
post 3rd May 2013, 01:10pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Donna, I know all of McNally family, Peggy was my age group. One of your Aunts passed recently. I am Anne Murray, Lila's younger sister(80 now) Lila was mother of Daniel and the late Marilyn. Where are you now, Quite coincidentally Daniel is coming from England for weekend, he will be paying a visit to James and his wife,.

Re Sandy Gardiner do not ever recall his family. Perhaps Sandy would have known Lila, she used to live in Jamieson Street 39 anti 1965. thumbup.gif

oops,,,,sorry, posted twice, wacko.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 2nd Jul 2013, 03:19am
Post #43

Stratson,

My grandmother, Margaret Watson lived downstairs from Lila, at 19 Batson Street and my brother used to play with her Grandson Greg. Remember her fondly, we stayed in Govanhill Street.

+Quote Post
*PeWiNL*
post 11th Oct 2013, 08:21pm
Post #44

QUOTE (Guest @ 2nd Jul 2013, 03:17am) *
Stratson,

My grandmother, Margaret Watson lived downstairs from Lila, at 19 Batson Street and my brother used to play with her Grandson Greg. Remember her fondly, we stayed in Govanhill Street.

Hi I'm searching for the relatives of a World War II casualty who came from Glasgow and was married to a Margaret. I really hope you don't mind me asking whether or not your Watson-family (or any other relatives) might be the ones I'm looking for. So could you please let me know your grandfathers name ?

Thank you very much!

kind regards
you're free to contact me here

+Quote Post
**May**
post 15th Oct 2013, 10:15pm
Post #45

QUOTE (George Muir @ 3rd Apr 2008, 07:22pm) *
My family lived in Govanhill (Carfin St.) for 6 years. It was a converted pawnshop. Our previous house was a tenement in Paisley Road West. It was condemned due to the bombing in a nearby street, and we were moved pronto. However Govanhill was a great place to live back then, at least 5 picture houses within walking distance, and easy access to Queen's Park, Cathkin and Hampden. The only drawback was the polis was always chasing us for playing fitbaw in the street. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.