Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Govanhill
stratson
post 19th Apr 2009, 10:34pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Hi Heather, one of my friends lives in HollyBrook st, at Allison St. end,
There was a time I knew everybody from this district.
Not any more. sad.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Southside jim
post 19th Apr 2009, 11:37pm
Post #17

Special Visitor
Member No.: 6,504
I stay in Inglefield street...My parents stay in Hollybrook street, brother in Riccarton street and other brother in Batson street..

Plus loads more family scattered around those areas !!

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 19th Apr 2009, 11:44pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Stratson, don't know if I asked this before but did you know the Gardiner family who lived on Preston Street? Going back to the early 50s and 60s?

+Quote Post
BigJock
post 20th Jun 2009, 09:08am
Post #19

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,058
I was born in Govanhill Street in 1944, went to Cuthbertson Str. primary school then to Strathbungo until my parents moved to Castlemilk in the mid/late '50s.

--------------------
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.....

+Quote Post
stratson
post 12th Sep 2009, 09:21pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
My sister Lila lived in Jamieson Street with her husband and two children.When my last brother emigrated to Australia she moved into the family home in Batson Street where she stayed until her death in 1982.. Her husband still lives in a smaller house still in Govanhill. He was from Seath Street. Very few of my generation still around those parts. Lot of strangers. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Lizziehen
post 13th Sep 2009, 01:02am
Post #21

Super Resident
Member No.: 7,318
If anyone has a photo, or knows where one can been seen, of old Govanhill particularly Jamieson Street, I would love to know. My father lived the first 29 years of his life in Govanhill, I think about 12 possibly in Preston Street, and then Jamieson Street. He used to talk about his schools there, and was very proud of his perfect attendance at Govanhill Public School. I have his Attendance Certificates up until the age of 10 years, also comments on Conduct and Diligence, from Govan Parish School Board, signed M. MacLoud. Also his Certificate of Merit from Calder Street Public School when he left school, signed by what looks like Headmaster W. Purdie. As I say a long time ago, he left school in 1919. Left Jamieson Street when he married in 1933.

I suppose both those schools are now gone? According to later maps, most of Jamieson Street - he lived at 133. I think Calder Street is still there? What about Preston Steet? I'd love to hear about Govanhill as it was in the past, and also how it now is.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 13th Sep 2009, 06:13am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Hello Lizziehen, I was born 1933 so unlikely to know your Dad. Jamieson Street and Preston St your side of Cathcart Rd, are now new built semi's At Cathcart Rd ed between Jamieson St. and Preston St, is Sheltered housing.
The schools your father attended still stand although the Primary Victoria School closed this last term. Lovely building. Calder St school is now Holy Cross Primary. Many of my childhood friends had their Secondary education at Calder Street.Re. pictures don'y know of any, The Glasgow Story has picture of Govanhill park fromlate 19th Century. Used to go to watch the bands play apart from great fun on the Maypoles. biggrin.gif

Govanhill is now a very multicultural area.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Lizziehen
post 13th Sep 2009, 03:05pm
Post #23

Super Resident
Member No.: 7,318
Thanks for your information, stratson. Interesting to hear my Dad's schools still survive. He lived his last 20 years in Australia, came home every other year and would visit Govanhill and his old haunts. Said he'd have visited his old schools but when he was there it was the school holidays. He'd see many changes now, as I would if I visited where I lived and places I knew.

Do you know what happened to the UCBS building in McNeil Street? Dad worked there for about 26 years until 1946.

In the late 1930s when my Grandma lived in Eglinton Street she used to take me to a park to sit and listen to the band playing, don't know which park though. She lived most of her life in Glasgow in Govanhill, moved after my Dad and his brother married in early 1930s.

I'll have another look at the Glasgow Story website, but there doesn't seem to be many photos of Govanhill online. Thanks again for your response.

+Quote Post
calumbeag
post 10th Oct 2009, 07:25pm
Post #24

Settling In
Member No.: 7,514
Hello Lizziehen,

You should try the Urban Glasgow site for photos of Glasgow.

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/index.php?component=indexpage

It takes a wee while to find your way around the site but I think it is much better than the Virtual Michell or the Glasgow Story sites

It has Past and Present pictures of streets in two Volumes

+Quote Post
*govanhill guy*
post 23rd Dec 2009, 04:53pm
Post #25

QUOTE (Lizziehen @ 13th Sep 2009, 01:00am) *
If anyone has a photo, or knows where one can been seen, of old Govanhill particularly Jamieson Street, I would love to know. My father lived the first 29 years of his life in Govanhill, I think about 12 possibly in Preston Street, and then Jamieson Street. He used to talk about his schools there, and was very proud of his perfect attendance at Govanhill Public School. I have his Attendance Certificates up until the age of 10 years, also comments on Conduct and Diligence, from Govan Parish School Board, signed M. MacLoud. Also his Certificate of Merit from Calder Street Public School when he left school, signed by what looks like Headmaster W. Purdie. As I say a long time ago, he left school in 1919. Left Jamieson Street when he married in 1933.

I suppose both those schools are now gone? According to later maps, most of Jamieson Street - he lived at 133. I think Calder Street is still there? What about Preston Steet? I'd love to hear about Govanhill as it was in the past, and also how it now is.

hi lizziehen most of the the area is un changed accept for the row of tenements they demolished in 1977 east side of cathcart road the bottom end of preston street is still standing jaimieson street has new housing where 133 was and preston street at the east side has new housing victoria school is still there calder street school in the 1970 s jamieson street had tenements both sides of street leading to batson street behind jaimieson street block to north you had morgan street robson street then aitkenhead road to the right of jaimieson street you had the east side of preston street which was steep which lead up to victoria school the block after preston street was the east side of cathcart road had tenements on both sides this area is now fitness first gym as you went along cathcart road south the next street was carfin street which lead to batson street
next street is calder street which is the main juction with cathcart road beyond this area to west and south is basicly just the same except for the church with steeple candlish church being demolished hope this helps

+Quote Post
joycewilson
post 18th Jan 2010, 12:56am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,109
Hi All,
I lived in Govanhill for a while, I had a one bedroomed flat at 474, Cathcart Road, then finally got a place with a bath! Lol at 66, Govanhill Street.
My two sons went to the nursery on the corner of Cathcart Road and my oldest son went to Victoria Primary for his first year at school.
We did an exchange to Rutherglen in the late 80s.
I liked living in Govanhill, was a great area and handy for everywhere. Feel sad when I pass on the bus at the way it has been run down...what a waste of a lovely area and good houses!

+Quote Post
*Anne Mackie*
post 20th Sep 2010, 02:13pm
Post #27

I was brought up in Robson Street, went to Victoria Primary School. I went over to see it today (Monday 20th Sept 2010) closed ,according to a newspaper cutting it has to be demolished. What a waste of a lovely building, surely it could be converted into flats?.There would be plenty parking in the old playgrounds. My mum and dad started a fund for the Coronation(1953).They had raffles etc., They got a loan of the pews and tables from the Salvation Army,they were also in the street and all the neighbouring children had a party in the street.The street was shut from Aikenhead Road My Uncle Tommy had a Grocers/Dairy in the street and he brought his TV. We watched the coronation from his shop window. We had a BB Pipeband on parade and the street was decorated with flags and bunting. The bunting was made by the mothers and the dads joined it together. They then threw the string up to the first floor neighbours window who then threw it up to the next floor and up to the top. took it across the street and repeated it. The street looked fabulous. At night the adults had a party, I was considered to be too young at six years old so never saw this.

+Quote Post
*cathy hutcheon*
post 5th Oct 2010, 11:34pm
Post #28

QUOTE (stratson @ 19th Apr 2009, 09:13pm) *
Where are all you Govanhill people, some of you must be on the internet, not all have passed on.
Would be great to hear from any of you smile.gif biggrin.gif

Hi
i lived in govanhill st from1963 till1972 my familys name was wright (james.johnny.patsy.mattie.cathy and rita) does anyone remember them
My wee ma was brought up there in 28 seath st her maiden name was mcqueen great site

+Quote Post
stratson
post 23rd Nov 2010, 09:35pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Cathy,
Was your Mum Harriet McQueen Some called her Cissie, being at school together always called her Harriet., she married James Wright in 1951?, if so, I knew your Mum.
Nice to hear from another connected to Govanhill. Nice hearing from you. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
*Sandy Gardiner*
post 27th Jul 2011, 08:35pm
Post #30

QUOTE ( @ 20th Apr 2009, 12:30am) *
Stratson, don't know if I asked this before but did you know the Gardiner family who lived on Preston Street? Going back to the early 50s and 60s?

I am Sandy Gardiner, who are you?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.