Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Govan
auldbutcher
post 13th Sep 2009, 03:18am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
stiff me this thread takes me right back aw the memories o grown up in govan ita ah special place fer me .mah da among other jobs wis ah captain on the govan ferry an some nights ad go doon tae wait fer him when he finished his shift used tae get intae the engine room when it wis cauld. an some times we wid share ah bag o chips on the wie hame . i left govan at the tender age o 18 summers and moved tae ah wee room an kitchen in the gorbals ah merrit young knew this wiz the girl fer me an snapped her up in ah hurry. but i iwies felt govan wiz hame returned there in the 80s an worked as ah butcher fer bertie murray fer 20 years his shop wiz in langlands road . any wan remember toni's kings cafe in govan road couple o hunner yards fae fairfield shipyard used tae go there at night play the jukebox in the early 50s lotsa pals an good company .memories eh. still take ah wee saunter noo an agin fer auld times sake think aboot mah wee maw an her homemade soup magic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 20th Sep 2009, 04:34pm
Post #17

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
There you go Peas and barley.
Class picture from Harmony Row.

Attached Image

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 21st Sep 2009, 04:28pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
My first 10 years were spent in Govan.First Greenfield street my last 5 years at 55 Harmony Row.
In my close were the McCole's, Caruthers, Carberry, McGhee's, Kean's (Dad's Sister), Willis'.
Round the corner in Robert street was Tessies where we got stuff on tic.' You could buy a bundle of sticks for the fire. When we got our pey we were straight round there you could get a penny tray tuppeny tray or a thrupenny tray.The Rag store was there as well in Robert street the corner close had a spiral staircase my pal David McClure lived there.His Dad was the only person near us who had a car. Lambert's off licence was near us too and John's the grocer, he had a slot machine in his shop. Just down the road was brotherston's toy shop. I used to stand for ages looking in the window and every now and then a train would appear from the left side of the window then disappear on the right side.You could also buy a dummy turd there,I thought it looked dead real. When my Dad came home from the pub he sometimes brought us a wee pack which contained 2 crackers a cheese triangle a pickle and a fork.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
albaforever
post 24th Dec 2009, 10:46pm
Post #19

Settling In
Member No.: 7,854
I'm not from Govan but my first real crush was. I was devastated when we broke up. His name was Ian and he was a draftsman at one of the shipyards. We were together on the night President Kennedy was killed and I wonder if that is why I remember him so well.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 24th Dec 2009, 11:58pm
Post #20

Visitor
Member No.: 962
QUOTE (Guest ANN * @ 9th Aug 2008, 10:15pm) *
I was born in the Southern General and brought up in Govan at various addresses the last being Kintra street. My Dad worked in every shipyard on the clyde as a welder. Many happy memories of playing on the ferry back and forth from Govan to Partick.
Wonder if the "Wine Alley " is still there?
My Granny and Grandad were married in the Pierce Institute after my Grandad came back from the first world war minus his leg he was in the K.O.S.Bs Kings Own Scottish B%%%ards I remember him boasting.
I loved sitting upstairs on the bus from Govan X at night and seeing the sparks from the welders at Fairfields it was just like fireworks, the smell from the Govan Subway and the wee woman selling tablet to the kids from her ground flat front window. The priest passing the men playing shove penny in the street and when there was enough in the pot confiscating it saying gambling was the work of the devil.
The bookies runners, the coalman and the women who used to sing in the back courts are all happy memories of Govan.
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 25th Dec 2009, 12:00am
Post #21

Visitor
Member No.: 962
Hi I'm, looking for any info on Kintra Street and Neptune street. Both now demolished. There was a murder there in 1952 two brother Harris were convicted, both due to be hanged, only younger one was. Paul Christopher "chrisdtie " harris and Claude Milfor Harris his older brother. The guy killed was a Martin Dunleavy, thousdands turned out for the funeral. Happened at a guy called Murray's house. Any info welciomed. M

+Quote Post
albaforever
post 29th Dec 2009, 06:50am
Post #22

Settling In
Member No.: 7,854
QUOTE (albaforever @ 24th Dec 2009, 10:44pm) *
I'm not from Govan but my first real crush was. I was devastated when we broke up. His name was Ian and he was a draftsman at one of the shipyards. We were together on the night President Kennedy was killed and I wonder if that is why I remember him so well.

remember going to the wrestling at the Govan Town Hall with another lad from Govan and friends from St. Gerards one of whom married my best friend so we are friends to this day.

+Quote Post
*robbie maclean*
post 16th May 2010, 03:21pm
Post #23

does any one remember my family the macleans from golspie street in the 1960s i had 2 bros and my dads name was hugh i went to hilltrust primary school ,

+Quote Post
*Hollywood1945*
post 7th Jul 2010, 02:12pm
Post #24

Hi my names Michelle Hollywood. My mum and dad where both brought up in the Govan Area in the 50s and 60s. My mum Veronica Scanlan was from the Whyne Alley and my dad Brian Hollywood was from Neptune St. Did anyone know them by any chance? Id like to find out a wee bit about them.

Also i dont know if this is the right site to come on. Does anyone know which is best?

+Quote Post
jostto
post 31st Jul 2010, 11:19pm
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,302
[size="4"]Both my parents were brought up in govan around neptune st and married in 1942, Names Watters, probably left govan for pollok in the 1950s. Any info on them would be good, Da was in the shipyards and ma had hunners o weans lol, im the youngest!

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 3rd Jan 2011, 04:04am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Geezabrek @ 26th Apr 2007, 05:20am) *
Wanlock Street and doon to the ferry. Big rats off the Clyde. Dustbin men who came around the back of the tenements in their lorry and shovelled the (stuff) ooot of the middens. Playing about the back yards (and middens) with other wains. Having loadsa uncles, aunties and grannies as everybuddy seemed to know everybuddy. Swing park with real water from the drink fountain that you got in the (attached by a chain) metal (iron?) cup. Having WAN bog to share with about 5 other families in the close (a wiz too wee to hold my leg up to keep the door shut / secure). Gas lamps and a 'distinct' smell of an evening plus the wee "hiss" they made. Waiting doon the close entry for my da ona friday when I got some pocket money (usually 3d if I wiz good).
Lotsa nice memories.... wub.gif
Oh. and my uncle Davy Patterson who moved from Wanlock Street to the (new) Gorbals flats. wub.gif

You are from my town and my time I knew the Pattersons but they lived in Dunvegan st. and not Wanlock St. I still have school photos from St.Anthony's with Jackie Patterson on them.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 3rd Jan 2011, 04:20am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
MartinJ you are talking about the same Govan I knew. The smell of the Govan X subway; I loved it. The weldin' sparks, the ship yards the Govan ferry; do you remember the horse ferry, the swinng park between Sharp & McKechinie st. I destroyed my teeth on "tablet" from back close sweetie makers and McKintosh's penny sgudgers. I was brought up in Dunvegan st . hence the nom de plume. My first recollections were of Linthoose. Black oot curtains and bomb craters. I lived just outside Stephens' gates and spent my younger days to the flash of welders and the the music of caulkers.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 28th Jan 2012, 05:03pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Some of my family came from Tradeston/Plantation and from Govan areas and I'm hoping that someone may be able to help. I'm trying to find out what happened to my Grandfather's uncle and only very recently found out he had a son. Its a long shot but hopefully someone will be able to tell me if I have the right family.
I have Thomas Donachie living @ 812 Govan Rd marrying Sarah McGilvary of 122 Blackburn St on 13/1/1902 in St Margarets RC Church Kinning Park. Thomas was working as a iron rivetter and Sarah as a bolt screwer, so I'm assuming they both worked and probably met in 1 of the many shipyards of the times. They had a son named Alexander McGilvary Donachie, born 1902, and in 1926 he was living @ 96 Queen St? ( which would possably be Neptune St today). On the 30/7/1926 Alexander married Agnes Prentice (675 Govan Rd) @ St Saviours RC Church. Again both probably worked in the shipyards being a rivet heater and a wire winder. By 1933 Alexander and Agnes were possibly living @ 90 George St, off George Square. Both Thomas and Sarah are deceased by the time Alexander gets married. Thomas is listed as being a gold miner on Alexanders marriage certificate but as I can't find any record of their deaths I'm assuming they have left Scotland at some point. Thomas was born the the Trongate/Gallowgate area of Glasgow and had a sister Elizabeth (Lizzie) who lived in Main St Bridgeton and a brother Francis who joined the Argyll & Sutherlands.
Does any of this ring a bell with anyone. Mary smile.gif unsure.gif

+Quote Post
*IRENE MALTMAN*
post 30th Mar 2012, 05:59am
Post #29

QUOTE (Boydy @ 20th Sep 2009, 04:39pm) *
There you go Peas and barley.
Class picture from Harmony Row.

Attached Image

I love this photo. What year was this taken? I attended Harmony Row from 1945 to 1952. Would love to hear more. I attended Govan High from 1952 till 1955 and then went on to join the Celtic Ballet company until moving to California with my parents. Nathaniel and Elizabeth Maltman..... Anybody remember me or the Maltmans or the Fergusons from Govan? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 21st May 2012, 11:16pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Aye theres no place quite like Govan. I havent lived in Govan for a very long time but as a teenager to my late twenties i worked for my family radio and tv business and music shop (Jolly's) in Shaw street and it was a great place to be in those days. Writing this oot is bringing back long forgotten memories of Mrs Flemings sweet and cake shop and Angies hairdressing shop (gorgeous girls working there) then there was Dolf the barber at the Govan road end. Gillespies furniture shop and Dands corner shop on Langlands Road and of course who didnt know Andy Mcneils cycle shop

Govan was a thriving community where folks from Pollock and Priesthill and such areas would come and do their shopping. Just think of the cinemas The Vogue the lyceum the Plaza and the Elder and these cinemas would be packed out solid on Saturday nights. The Pearce Institute everyone went there for something and of course the south Govan town hall for it's regular Boxing which I recall was always packed oot with women !!! Who thinks women are the weaker sex !! not in Govan they werent

The shipyards, the big car ferry and the wee passenger ferries chugging away all day long. lots of pubs and lots of churches and chapels all sum up Govan but by far and away Govan is summed up by its people. Rough and tough? yes sometimes, but the friendliest and kindest folk you could ever hope to meet

Aye I've enjoyed writing this. You can take the man out Govan but you cant take Govan out of the man

Cheers to all

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.