Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Govan
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:33pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Govan

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Govan

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 25th Apr 2007, 07:42pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
Wanlock Street and doon to the ferry. Big rats off the Clyde. Dustbin men who came around the back of the tenements in their lorry and shovelled the (stuff) ooot of the middens. Playing about the back yards (and middens) with other wains. Having loadsa uncles, aunties and grannies as everybuddy seemed to know everybuddy. Swing park with real water from the drink fountain that you got in the (attached by a chain) metal (iron?) cup. Having WAN bog to share with about 5 other families in the close (a wiz too wee to hold my leg up to keep the door shut / secure). Gas lamps and a 'distinct' smell of an evening plus the wee "hiss" they made. Waiting doon the close entry for my da ona friday when I got some pocket money (usually 3d if I wiz good).
Lotsa nice memories.... wub.gif
Oh. and my uncle Davy Patterson who moved from Wanlock Street to the (new) Gorbals flats. wub.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
angel
post 26th Apr 2007, 01:53am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
hi geezabrek, I just read your post and you could have been talking about Partick were I came from ,this is also my story as well and probably many others. they were not the good old days at all, folks just had to make the best of it," no other option".

cheers Angel

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 26th Apr 2007, 12:06pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Worked in Govan on Helen Street, that was way back when the Clyde was a busy place. So sad to see it quiet now. Jaybee

+Quote Post
Elma
post 26th Apr 2007, 03:15pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
In 1960 I worked in the Child Guidance Clinic in a lovely old house in (I think) Copland Road

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 26th Apr 2007, 03:48pm
Post #6

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
all you hear nowadays is people wi stress ,in the early days you didnt have time for stress you just had to get on wi life

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 26th Apr 2007, 07:23pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
I know what you mean angel - its just that my memories are as a child with a load of fun and lots of (adults) folks who knew me (alleged relatives) and gave me a piece wi jam and lots of mates to scamper about with - never straying too far from home. No stress for wains is there - love being grubby and mischeivious wub.gif (no change to present kids perhaps - ha)!
Can anyone recommend any good books (library accessible perhaps) with stories / facts on life in "old Govan" ?? I (vaguely) recall a film being made doon there about life in the area - big bree reckons it wiz made partly in Wanlock Street as it led doon to the clyde and had a load of grubby wains in it too?? No idea when / what etc ?? unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 26th Apr 2007, 08:07pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
i heard a Sunny Govan radio presenter read a clip from george rountree's book on a govan Childhood-the thirties . george has a memory for detail as is illustrated in this contribution on WWII

WW2 People's War

Sunnygovan.org

you can listen to Sunny Govan Radio in the Glasgow area on 103.5 FM and on the internet on

Sunny Govan radio

You'll need Real Player

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 26th Apr 2007, 08:40pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks for that dexter... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
crawfurd
post 29th Jun 2007, 10:34pm
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 3,944
my dad had jacks rolls it went back to 1923 and the vans were red and there were 800 shops the cakes and pies rolls were lovely and i used to play in the bakery attics

+Quote Post
J.S.
post 26th Jan 2008, 05:37pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,341
Hello
I was born at 44 langlands rd in 1967 14 and a half lbs in weight ( my mother has never trusted me ever since ) my father was Donald Sutherland and his father was the captain of the HMS Backnferret otherwise known as the Govan ferry.
Anyone know them?

+Quote Post
shoby
post 4th Mar 2008, 11:51pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,431
Hi Geezabrek,Shoby here.I've just finished reasding a book all about Govan,it's c alled"King's Close"by Christine Marion Fraser.You should be able tae get it in yir local library.

--------------------
Yours Hopefully,Shoby.[color="#000080"][/color]

+Quote Post
*Guest ANN **
post 9th Aug 2008, 10:17pm
Post #13

I was born in the Southern General and brought up in Govan at various addresses the last being Kintra street. My Dad worked in every shipyard on the clyde as a welder. Many happy memories of playing on the ferry back and forth from Govan to Partick.
Wonder if the "Wine Alley " is still there?
My Granny and Grandad were married in the Pierce Institute after my Grandad came back from the first world war minus his leg he was in the K.O.S.Bs Kings Own Scottish B%%%ards I remember him boasting.
I loved sitting upstairs on the bus from Govan X at night and seeing the sparks from the welders at Fairfields it was just like fireworks, the smell from the Govan Subway and the wee woman selling tablet to the kids from her ground flat front window. The priest passing the men playing shove penny in the street and when there was enough in the pot confiscating it saying gambling was the work of the devil.
The bookies runners, the coalman and the women who used to sing in the back courts are all happy memories of Govan.
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
*Al*
post 11th Sep 2008, 08:08am
Post #14

QUOTE (Guest ANN * @ 9th Aug 2008, 11:21pm) *
Wonder if the "Wine Alley " is still there?

They knocked it doon.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 22nd Nov 2008, 09:12pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Geezabreak. I read your post after I had entered memories of my Renfrew days. We had a similar upbringing!
Rab. Attached Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.