Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garthamlock
*Guest Aggy*
post 25th May 2017, 07:00pm
Post #46

QUOTE (Daniel ferguson @ 15th Apr 2015, 11:07am) *
I lived in Garthamlock from around 1960 till 1967 when we emigrated to Australia. I am writing a story of my childhood for my children. I lived with mum, dad and 6 brothers and sisters. Went to primary and high school before emigrating. Anyone remember the Fergusons?

My family lived in Gartloch Road from 1953-73.

Was the teacher not Mrs Walkinshaw?

I had great memories of the scheme.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**dizzybint**
post 2nd Jul 2017, 02:09pm
Post #47

By the time I arrived there in the early 70s the place was just full of tramps.. oh there were some nice people but they were all steadily moving out and no wonder... hated the place, and tried for years to get a move.. it was murder with house break ins , drugs.. dafties, drunks, fights we had it all. lousy neighbours who didnt care about the property and it was manky... Ill never forget living in the dump.My weans milk was stolen every other day from outside the door by the boy up the stairs who was about 15 and when I caught him and told his mother she slapped his face saying... you B----- and you took the 1/6 off me every morning....nothing about my three weans going without or him being a thief , she was more interested in her own money ..... a shower of haufwits up my close. no hopers who were all tarred with the one brush..and mad as a brush..

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 1st Sep 2017, 11:03am
Post #48

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
Moved there in 71 from Bridgeton, worse thing I ever did, hated the place , was in a close full of drunks , thieves and a hooker..who can ask for anythng more to bring up three weans... horrible dirty close that nobody cared about but myself.. and a wiz never done washing the close and trying to keep the garden nice, but was treated like a joke by morons.

+Quote Post
**matman**
post 9th Sep 2017, 11:46am
Post #49

QUOTE (Mgmartin @ 10th Aug 2016, 10:43am) *
hi mat man ,,I moved to 38 binns rd in garthamlock in 1954 pavement were not even laid we were the first in the house all new thought it was massive i was there untill i got married in 69 my mum moved over o craigend in 78,, i don't remember any bungalows you were talking about ,, tottie field and turnips round about,,,you house would have looked on to 5 apartments fields at the top.

Hi , i`m not very good with forums etc, anyway NqMartin thanks for your reply, its been a year already since i posted that.
like i said its a bit fuzzy trying to remember 60 od years ago, walking hime up the hill i seem to remeber our `house` on the top of the hill on the left, it was - i think a double dwelling .. up and down. we were up.. walking right up the hill brought you to a low stone wall where the fields were. I dont remember too much about the houses opposite us, except the windows had very small panes.
cheers Matman.

+Quote Post
**matman**
post 9th Sep 2017, 11:47am
Post #50

QUOTE (bs1966 @ 25th Dec 2011, 12:21pm) *
Guys, does anyone have any pictures of Binns Road, Garthamlock from the late 50's/60s ideally the top of Binns Road at Bavelaw St, a long shot but worth a try, I lived at number 15.

bs

Yes please someone must have some pics of Binns Rd in the Fifties and Sixties. We would love to see them my email is weematt@bigpond.com I`m in Australia now. See my other posts thanks, c'mon give us some of that famous Scottish generosity. Cheers.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.