Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garngad
valros
post 14th Nov 2007, 08:53pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,069
Oh Winnie,

I used to go into Katie Carrigan's shop a lot when I was at primary school.

Valros
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*john martin*
post 9th Dec 2007, 11:01pm
Post #17

my dad was from garngad gilly martin and my granny mary toal was a hawker sold her dollups up next to the were the budgie is i was told.does anybody remember the family name toal and my dad gilly martin who had bad leg....................

+Quote Post
valros
post 10th Dec 2007, 01:43pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Hi John,

I lived in Rhymer Street and we had a family called Toal near us. My Mother knew all of the Toal family. Where in Garngad did your Dad live John?

Valros

+Quote Post
Garngad Granny
post 25th Jan 2008, 12:13pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,337
I was born at 52 Rosemount street 1951 Family name Glen there were 7 weans we moved to Roystonhill and flitted on joak the coleman's horse and cart. we all went to the Wee Roch and The big Roch people on the hill. We lived accross the road from ellen macs shop on the hill. On Milburn street was Charley Boyce's where every one got tick and Wee nellies and Wullie the Butcher at Pattersons butchers. The Handy store John Burks Besottis the chip shop and I cant remember the tallies name. Oh aye and Plunketts for the penny tray. Further down Milburn was the shop that sold the Pies and peas cant remember that one either. Does anyone remember Campbells hill where we used to dig up clay to pat it for butter when playing shops or the Big lassies that used to put on concerts we had to pay a penny and bring a cup for the ginger. There was a man who used to come to the brickfield shouting who wants candy and he would throw a handful the weans would scramble for them. and the man who used to come round the backs singing or playing the accordigan although money was tight my ma would always wrap something up in bread paper to throw over the window to him. Well im new to this so I will add more when my memories come flooding back by the time I get to the computer I forgot again oh well cheerio...........

+Quote Post
valros
post 25th Jan 2008, 04:50pm
Post #20

Super Resident
Hello Garngad Granny,

Nice to see someone else posting on this thread. The only association I had with Rosemount was the fact I went to Rosemount Annexe for two years before going down to the main school in Royston Road.

Wasn't too familiar with many shops in Rosemount but knew quite a few that lived around Millburn when I was at Primary school.
I'm older than you so we were at the schools at different times smile.gif

The candy man used to come around our backs too as did the guys who sang and played accordians.

Memories eh?

Valros

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 26th Jan 2008, 07:49am
Post #21

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
Hi Garngad Granny and welcome to the Glasgow Guide.

You mentioned that your family name is Glen. Are you related to the following Glen family which I discussed in post #145 of the topic 'My Garngad Family History' in the Family History forum.

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.ph...st&p=179937

Sammy Glenn had a twin brother Willie and they were born on 29 December 1887 at 106 Garngad Road. Their parents were Patrick Glen and Margaret O'Neil who married on 31 December 1879 in Glasgow, so it is likely they had older brothers and sisters.

Paul

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
valros
post 26th Jan 2008, 11:23am
Post #22

Super Resident
Hello Paul,

You may well at last have someone who is connected to the Glen side of your family, fingers crossed !!

Valros

+Quote Post
Garngad Granny
post 26th Jan 2008, 02:28pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Hi Paul I started reading all your postings you are a wealth of information and it was very interesting reading. I don't think my family are the Glens you are looking for but I will give you the information There was Frank he married Annie White and went to america, Peter married Winnie, Charlie married Jeannie Heron,and Pat married Anna Knotts, Sarah married Bobby Arrol, Mary married Charlie Reilly and Annie married Robbie Brogan. I know they lived up the budgie and arround garngad. I don't know where. If any of these names help you I could ask my older sisters. There were another family of Glens stayed two closes away from us on Roystonhill but I cant tell you any more than that. I travelled to Glasgow to be there in time for the Wee Rock Centenary I was a bit dissappointed as the school is in bad disrepair. If anyone remembers the Gym hall at the far end of the school it was always highly polished and locked when not in use. As we wandered around the school and walked down the back stairs the plaster was hanging off the walls and in the gym hall were children just lounging around and it was messy the floor is all worn Im sorry I did not just keep my old memories. But nothing stays still I suppose Mrs McCambridge was there she was my sisters first teacher and my sister is 60. I went accross to the chappel and it seemed so tiny. I have been reading some of the postings I was shocked when I read about Hugh Collins he was in my class at the wee roch. and Joe Devlin stayed up the same close as me on the hill. I have nothing but great memories about Garngad even at the height of the Gangs I would walk home from the Locarno by myself if my pal got a lumber along Sauchiehall Street, Parliamentary Road and castle street and over the hill. I never felt scared I think it was because you grew up with these so called thugs and to you they were just the weans you ran around with.

+Quote Post
valros
post 26th Jan 2008, 09:13pm
Post #24

Super Resident
Garngad Granny,

It's sad to think the school is in disrepair, the gym hall was well kept when I was at the school too--good few years before you I think rolleyes.gif

Like yourself, I was never afraid to walk up Royston Road when I lived in the area. I think I will just remember the school and area as it was because they are great memories. Haven't been there in many years.

Valros

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 28th Jan 2008, 01:17pm
Post #25

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
I attended the Wee Roch fron 1955 – 1961. Teachers I remember were Miss O’Donnell, Mr King, Mr McGowan and our form teacher Mr McCambridge, who was much loved by all the pupils in our class. I remember the jannie, Mr Craig whose son Martin was in our class. Girls in the top playground, boys in the lower playground. Happy memories, especially my first footie game with real football boots playing “up the coup” as Glenconner was affectionately known. I think I’ve still got gravel rash under the skin of my knees from playing on the grey ash park. I remember the solution to any playground disagreement was always “up the coup at 4” where many a scuffle took place between pupils – nothing serious, just a roll about on the grass with the occasional black eye given out.
Many a lunchtime we would wander out to the budgie and play around the brickworks and climb up the quarry face.
I remember a couple of summer school trips while at the Wee Roch – Campbelltown one year and Fraserburgh the next. Great time had by all and a far cry from today’s children who get trips to Eurodisney in Paris or ski holidays in the Alps !
Hugh Collins lived across from me on Tharsis Street and was a pal during my primary school years. When I passed my quallie, I was sent to St Mungo’s and drifted away from “Shuggie” and most of my pals who went to the Big Roch.
Like many, I never had any problems walking along the road at night after a few beers in town, having grown up in the area.
I had a narrow escape one Friday night coming home from town on the last No.11 bus, an old double decker. I was upstairs on my own and well scooped after quite a few beers when the bus got delayed at the stop outside the Glen Bar, opposite Gadshill Street. After nearly 10 minutes without moving, I decided to sort out the problem (being full of beer and bravado) and came downstairs to investigate. I stepped off the back of the bus and noticed some local tykes trying to get into the drivers cab. As I walked towards them (to do what I don’t know), the bus started up and drove away leaving me and a bunch of locals standing looking at each other in the middle of Royston Road. I just decided to chance my arm and shouted “all right, boys” and headed up Gadshill Street at a brisk pace !

+Quote Post
Garngad Granny
post 28th Jan 2008, 02:16pm
Post #26

Unpacking
that gave me a good laugh its good to be able to picture the places your talking about. I probably started the wee roch in 1956 the year after you but my sister pauline glen would have started then. I had Miss Brady and started in room 10 infants. I had miss Duffy she was a terror then we moved up to the top verrandah had got Mr Keenan then Mr Mc Cambridge he played the piano and wrote the St. Rochs song I don't know if you remember that. I went to the big roch and lost my best pal Carol Maxwell to Charlotte Street. I remember the McQuilllans, the Rodgers. The Collins's there were two families Hugh and cousins Mary Peter John. We lived up the top of the park as we called it that was the stairs going up to the hill. We used to climb on the place at the church I think it was an electricity place it had a flat roof. On a friday me and my pal used to go to the band of hope cos you got tea and cake it was ok as long as Cannon Boyle, Father Coakley. Father Vallaly or Father Mc Hugo didn't catch you. I remember Mr Craig his name was Charlie this is testing you a bit but do you remember the wee lollypop man that retired his name was mr Jolley I have never forgotton him to this day. Did you go to the dinner school we had a free ticket and at first you had to go along to the hibs hall for dinner then they opened the dinner school in the gym hall. and the rations when there was a holliday. In the winter we used to slide down the hills between roystonhill and Tharsis street when it was iced up on the trays or whatever we could find and I can remember staying out to 10 o clock as the snow lit everything up. Do you remember the Milligans and Prentice's from Royston Road anyway back to reality ...............

+Quote Post
valros
post 28th Jan 2008, 06:03pm
Post #27

Super Resident
Big Arturo1,

I laughed out loud just now reading about the bus leaving you with the local lads--the drunk man's war cry " Y'Awe Right" ? laugh.gif

I lived at the top of Glenbarr Street facing the boys end of the Big School.

My goodness, Mr Craig was at the school as janitor for a long time, he was there when I started a hundred years ago ha ha .

Garngad Granny, you have obviously came down the top part of Rhymer Street on your tin tray?? I lived at the bottom part of the street and used my mother's tin tray to slide down Glenbarr Street in the ice.

I remember all of the priests you mention, Father Coakley was at my wedding Breakfast, no afternoon weddings then!! He is still going strong and has been Monsignor Coakley for a long time. Last I heard he was in St James' parish--think that's in Pollok although he will probably be retired now.

Did you know Johnny Prentice? He married Mary Duffy from Rhymer Street and they lived in the same Street couple of closes from me. Sadly both are now dead but I knew Mary all my life.

Nice to find others remember the places and some people that I knew too. Hope to you posting again

Best wishes

Valros

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 28th Jan 2008, 08:00pm
Post #28

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
Do any of you good folk from Garangad recall a wee [midget]character by the name of Paddy the bleachman.He sold his own make of bleach from his van dor to door . He may be from the Blackhill area .any info

+Quote Post
Garngad Granny
post 28th Jan 2008, 10:12pm
Post #29

Unpacking
I cant believe Father Coakley is still alive and a monsenior thats amazing he did my first holy communion I still have the photo with his signature. I don't remember Paddy the bleachman but does anyone remember Paddy Mallen selling fish out of boxes on royston road. Then McKinnons opened up and his days were numbered. And there was a bookie called Dalziel pronounced Dee el who used to work out of the closes at roystonhill and he would have a lookout at the close mouth watching for the polis. Weans would take lines to him for their mas money was money you didn't have to prove your age in them days.
There was excitement when the royston road flats opened and Fyfe Robertson was their reporting on them we used to go after school and play on the lifts when we would press every button up to 20 and get off leaving the people that got on to stop at every landing they must have hated us. Oh and the Gypsies coming round the doors selling stuff sometimes we never had much money my ma would by a comb cos she said they would put a curse on you if you never bought anything. The rag man coming with his horse and cart and telling you whatever you asked for tell yir ma ye need mer woolens. Jokey Wilson and Gilroy were the coalemen my pal was Sally Gilroy and we used to get a lift on the back of the coal lorry to school when we got there we would be black and when we got hame we would be black and blue when wee jeanie got a hold of you (Ma wee mammy)

+Quote Post
*James McGinlay*
post 16th Feb 2008, 07:13pm
Post #30

I seem to be a wee bit older than the previous writers, I stayed in Turner St and my Grandmother and Grandfather in Villiers St, I went to both the Wee Roch and the Big Roch , before moving to Balornock, My other Grannie lived in Germiston.My teacher at the Wee Roch was a Miss Johnstone , not the best looking teacher but the best in the school.
Beside Turner St near Camerons Horse stable was a place called the Rocky, they built war raid shelters during the war and at the top of it amongst a lot of sawdust we used to dig up broken clay pipes.
We played at jumps on the shelters onto the wall that separated it from Turner St Backyards.Other teachers at the Wee Roch were, Mrs McGinlay, Mr McGowan, The wee painted doll(what a dreadful teacher, we were all frightened of her).Head master was a Mr Leppard
At the Big Roch the head teacher was a Mr Kelly, My teacher was a Mr McGrath

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.