Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drumchapel
*Gary Miller*
post 3rd Sep 2008, 09:02pm
Post #31

My Grandparents also lived at 52 Jedworth Avenue There name was Miller. Can anyone tell me where they drank locally? Or if you knew them
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*frankie hughes*
post 6th Sep 2008, 06:04pm
Post #32

hi i lived in Invercanny just at the top of Ardhu. I have seven brothers and sisters Sandra Jim

Annemarie Michael Maureen Jacqueline and Mark. I went to St Sixtus and then St Pius.

I still live in the drum

+Quote Post
*Gibson ( Gibby ) Lees*
post 6th Dec 2008, 10:38am
Post #33

QUOTE (ANGELA DEVLIN ( NEE JUNNER) @ 5th Aug 2007, 07:52pm) *
Although i was only 11 years old at the time of the Raine Place explosion in May 1978, i remember it well, it was truly shocking. Me and my sister Sonja were at the Guides in the church hall and we were rehearsing for a show, whilst on the stage we heard a huge rumbling noise and lots of banging and people screaming and shouting. The hall was quickly evacuated and it was then that we had discovered the terrible explosion. We (the Junners) lived in Ryedale Place at the time and my brother Colin drove an ice cream van round the scheme he was actually at Raine Place at the time of the incident thankfully he was unhurt, i remember a man named Frazer, cant mind his first name tho, he lived in one of the houses that was involved in the explosion sadly he was at home at the time however he was rescued. A few of my pals lived in Raine place and all were evacuated. My older brother John assisted in the aid of rescuing the trapped people along with his mates, i think it was caused by lead piping being stripped from the roofs of the tenement houses by youngsters. Yes it was months that Raine Place lay with a huge gap in the houses, all us youngsters thought this was amazing as you could see St Pius primary school from our house little do we know now just how lucky we were not to have been involved in the explosion. Sadly now all of this area in Drumchapel has gone, just grass land, Waverley Secondary School, which i attended, is now a site for houses i believe. Memories last forever though best of luck to all who remain there.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 6th Dec 2008, 10:41am
Post #34

QUOTE (frankie hughes @ 6th Sep 2008, 06:03pm) *
hi i lived in Invercanny just at the top of Ardhu. I have seven brothers and sisters Sandra Jim

Annemarie Michael Maureen Jacqueline and Mark. I went to St Sixtus and then St Pius.

I still live in the drum

Iremember yer dad , he drank with my uncle Bobby , they lived i think 2 doors fae you at 34 Invercanny ,i remember yer brother Mark better , he must be about 39 now !

+Quote Post
*lee*
post 16th Dec 2008, 07:38am
Post #35

hi there,my nan and grandad lived in kinfauns drive,does anybody remember the hannah family

+Quote Post
wullie jones
post 3rd Jan 2009, 04:36pm
Post #36

Visitor
Member No.: 6,353
biggrin.gif We moved to Drumchapel Springside Place in about 1962 from a single end in Garscube Rd I thought it was a palace inside toilet and bathroom being about six years old I thought my mum had won the football coupon, spent many happy days playing in the Blue Bell Woods. smile.gif

+Quote Post
*joanne hogan*
post 19th Feb 2009, 10:44am
Post #37

i remember that expolsion i just stayed accross the road from it .i was sill up at the time just as it happend my dad was turing the tv over and then bang i ran over to the window just as one of the men went flying over the roof and it was the gas pipe thay were after

+Quote Post
*Ann Cansell*
post 19th Feb 2009, 10:08pm
Post #38

Hi tom brown
I lived in fettercairn ave from 1956 -1962 went to St Laurence school and st Pius
Moved to England and now live in Australia I was like moving in to a palace when we left our home in kelvinhaugh for Drumchapel would love to hear from anyone who might remember me
I was Ann Caldwell

+Quote Post
drumlad
post 4th Mar 2009, 02:24pm
Post #39

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,614
I STAYED AT 50 and then 72 jedworth,till about 84/85 and went to waverley,bobby whats your surname

+Quote Post
tombro
post 5th Mar 2009, 08:35am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Wullie Jones,

That's the exact same feeling lots of kids, and most of their parents, who moved to 'theDrum' in the late 1950's had. It was a brilliant new place for anyone to live and despite it's shortcomings: limited access to shoppping mainly; it's new inhabitants were a happy lot.

I lived in Airgold Drive and went to St Sixtus School and its many annexes and, although the winters could get dreary and cold and dark, I absolutely loved the summer months when we kids stayed out in the streets to play past ten o'clock at night.

How good was that ? Can kids do that anywhere in Glasgow, or in the world, these days ?

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 5th Mar 2009, 06:31pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
I am sorry that I don't know any of the peolle tha tyou have spoke of , as I said it was my aunty who lived in the Drum I only went on the weekends .

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
*l1zkenned1@hotmail.com*
post 14th May 2009, 01:59pm
Post #42

did the Hannah family live on Kinfauns Dr? MY aunt lived near a family of same name aunts name was JAN KEATING I came from WILLOW ST ANNIESLAND.

+Quote Post
Tafkap
post 20th May 2009, 10:04am
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,587
I lived in Dunkenny Road (and earlier up the hill on a street near the water tower), from '75 to '99. I see the part near the church is getting boarded up ready for demolition.

I have some good pictures of Kingsridge during it's closure, including the inferno in the gym as the kids got in to take revenge on it! I also ventured in with my dad and looking back that was pretty dangerous - hordes of kids roaming around with sticks to beat glass out and trash the place.

Once I scan them in, I'll provide them to the forum. Also I have good pics from inside Drumry, after it was closed off..they did a good job of demolishing that building well before the bulldozers arrived!

I wonder what will become of the shopping centre now - it's an absolute shambles.

+Quote Post
longbeach
post 21st May 2009, 01:21am
Post #44

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,924
I moved to The Drum from Maryhill in about 1959,we stayed in Kinclaven Ave number 43 went to Broadholm primary then to waverley secondary school,had my first pint in the Linkwood,dont even know if the old drinking haunts are still there,The peel The Butty,I even used to travel to Milingavie to the Black Bull for a couple of pints.Aye i wiznae a bad place in those days.had a few godd pals.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 21st May 2009, 07:19am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Hi Longbeach, my husband moved from Maryhill to Drumchapel in the early 50's. He went to Cloandyke Primary then Hamilton Crescent in Partick. I had an evening job in the Lincoln Inn when it opened at first, he used to drink there and in The Peel (had his stag night in The Peel). We also used the Black Bull, Milngavie and also The Boulevard Hotel, it was the only place you could go for a drink on a Sunday because the pubs were closed. smile.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.