Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cranhill
Rating 5 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 04:01pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Cranhill

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Cranhill

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 21st Mar 2007, 05:57pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
wub.gif I romanced with my Husband in Bellrock crt(now gone) 28yrs ago & a coupla times wnilst saving tae get married we would just go to his pub a short walk through the park to the Dalriada pub,hubby also went there for his 1st ever drink as wells efter his footy trainin & play the then space invaders. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 21st Mar 2007, 06:33pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Hey Linda, you've been around most of Glasgow....lol, I don't know these areas at all. Jaybee

+Quote Post
musicthom
post 21st Mar 2007, 08:40pm
Post #4

Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,810
i also lived in bellrock st from 1972 till 1989 went to the greg and st modans

--------------------

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 21st Mar 2007, 09:29pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
huh.gif Musicthom you probably knew My Husband as he delivered papers in Bellrock st hes got red hair names Neil macdonald? ye think ye mibees know um? his Mates went tae st Gregorys John Williamson, a guy called Taggsy,Billy something & a guy named Stuart Minter although JWs Girlfriend Carol went tae school with Neil.etc he went tae cranhill high.Neil also dated a girl called Moyra scott frae Bellrock st back in 79 , he dumped her a coupla weeks before he met me,but she pleaded furr um tae dump me furr tae go oot wi her again laugh.gif she was always trying to get him back as I was there when she would call him,eventualy had tae tell her tae get aff the phone maself cos Neil felt she stalked him a bitty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
musicthom
post 23rd Mar 2007, 03:58pm
Post #6

Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,810
i canny say i remember the names but then again i left school in 1978
and funny enough i have only ever met 1 person i went to school with

--------------------

+Quote Post
marydee
post 23rd Mar 2007, 08:25pm
Post #7

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
My husband came from Cranhill, Bellrock St at the water tower. He was glad to read that someone else from Cranhill had red hair because his was orange and he always got caught at everything he did because of it. He went to St Moden's and St Gregory's and ran about with Pat Boyle on motorbikes and Billy Williamson driving Mini Coopers. His Ma worked in the papershop/post office and the dairy at the shops for many years. He lived there from about 1954/55 until he left Cranhill to get married in 1972.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 23rd Mar 2007, 08:36pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Marydee is that the same Billy that got stabbed at Georges Square? there was a pal of Neils called Billy dont mind his surname but I know he ended up stabbed & in the royal efter it,near killed him.The only Williamson we knew was John Williamson,apparently his mammy was very youthfull looking ,John had brothers.There was a Billy wilson I think he was nicknamed Taggsy? he went to London to be a mechanic I think? not too sure.Neils red hair was sandie type o colour in summer yet in winter went that rich rusty auburn colour of red?dont know why though,they do best as takes thum longer to go grey haha Neil loves it now cos hated it when younger. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif amazing witt turns up oan here eh?

--------------------

+Quote Post
marydee
post 19th Apr 2007, 08:29pm
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Sorry Lindamac I got my husband's pal's name wrong it was Billy Williams and he lived above the shops. My husband says he would be best remembered in Cranhill for riding a Ducati motorbike up Bellrock Street when he had a stookie up to his knee after breaking his leg in a crash on the same motorbike. The day he got the stookie off he crashed again and broke the same leg again. He has'nt got any better and at almost 60 he is running about on a Honda VFR.

+Quote Post
the big yin.
post 16th May 2007, 10:09am
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,662
hello from oz,
i went tae milncroft and cranhill secondary with neil gallagher neil cruikshank left school in 74 when ma family moved to oz remember nickin wood for guy fawks night used tae sneak into bellrock st and nick there wood (easy targets) great bon fires were had buy all cranhill was a great place tae grow up they tell me a lot of its gone can any body let me know wits gone?used tae play in the sugar olly mountains.memories are great.

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 16th May 2007, 11:36am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Hi there if you go top of the board you will see the word search click on type in cranhill and it will take you to cranhill section hope this helps and welcome to the boards

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 16th May 2007, 02:06pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
biggrin.gif Hello there bigyin my husband Neil Macdonald was from Bellrock crts maissonettes ,he went tae Dalriada which is away now by cutting through the park facing his st where the busstop was he telt me of his hay days in Fastnet streets 2 in a block houses 1st then they built motorway through his mums hoose haha & he & family moved tae Bellrock crt.Neils Mum Jeanie lives in the high flats of Fastnet st to this day & the Bellrock crt was knocked down 4yrs ago due tae asbestos etc his high schools away too I shall ask him of whats gone etc & get back tae ye mate you may even know him or 1 of his other 4 brothers & 1 wee sister Irene.Neil was a mate of John Williamsons.Shall catch up with ye again mate welcome tae the boards eh,the sites awesome if yer new pal are ye? biggrin.gifI noticed yer frae Australia now so are we haha Neils brothers you may know of moreso than Neil,so heres there names ......David,Brian,Ian,Colin & Neil Macdonald originaly Fastnet st thereafter motorway Bellrock crt they awe went tae same schools as you & the favourite teacher was some science lab teacher whom had animals etc??? ringing any bells?cheers mate !

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest joe condon **
post 1st Jan 2008, 11:34pm
Post #13

QUOTE (lindamac @ 16th May 2007, 02:13 PM) *
biggrin.gif Hello there bigyin my husband Neil Macdonald was from Bellrock crts maissonettes ,he went tae Dalriada which is away now by cutting through the park facing his st where the busstop was he telt me of his hay days in Fastnet streets 2 in a block houses 1st then they built motorway through his mums hoose haha & he & family moved tae Bellrock crt.Neils Mum Jeanie lives in the high flats of Fastnet st to this day & the Bellrock crt was knocked down 4yrs ago due tae asbestos etc his high schools away too I shall ask him of whats gone etc & get back tae ye mate you may even know him or 1 of his other 4 brothers & 1 wee sister Irene.Neil was a mate of John Williamsons.Shall catch up with ye again mate welcome tae the boards eh,the sites awesome if yer new pal are ye? biggrin.gifI noticed yer frae Australia now so are we haha Neils brothers you may know of moreso than Neil,so heres there names ......David,Brian,Ian,Colin & Neil Macdonald originaly Fastnet st thereafter motorway Bellrock crt they awe went tae same schools as you & the favourite teacher was some science lab teacher whom had animals etc??? ringing any bells?cheers mate !

Hello there lindamac,my name is Joe Condon.I knew your mother who lived at 137 Fastnet st in the 1950's.We lost contact about 1958.I live here in Australia now( Melbourne) and would love to hear from you as your topic brought back so many memories.Maybe you could even give me a ring as your Mum and I worked together at the tram depot at Parkhead and were good friends .I would dearly love to hear from you My phone No. is 03 97410070. Living in hope .All the best for now.

+Quote Post
*linda meek*
post 26th Mar 2008, 03:48pm
Post #14

hi im from cranhill [meek]
left at 15 was born in 17 crowlin cresent still there i believe
right opp the park what a view we had
my brother married helen from belrock street
went to milincroft school and cranhill sec
all the best to u all
great days growing up

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 27th Mar 2008, 03:30am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Hello there Linda My Husbands wee sister Irene Macdonald currently lives there on Crowlin cresent not so sure of the number though? at least ye still know thAT IT STILL EXISTS UNLIKE bELLROCK COURT WHICH WAS DEMOLISHED DUE TO ASBESTOS CONTENT.oopsadaisy sorry accidently tapped caps key sorry.Welcome to the boards mate frae one Linda to another eh. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.