Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cowcaddens
*dave*
post 7th Feb 2008, 12:45pm
Post #16

Do you remember the building that used to be in Dobbies Loan before it became Dales Cycles? I think it was some type of freezer facility?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 7th Feb 2008, 11:32pm
Post #17

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
my family came from civic st in cowcaddens and other half came from garscube rd and whats strange is thirty years later i met my partner and her fam came from civic st to they lived next close to each other morgan,s and mccarthy,s and ferguson,s

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Feb 2008, 12:08am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Dolkin was Civic Street the street before Edington Street across from the Phoenix Park swings????

I also came from the Cowcaddens, Sawfield Place, where the Endrick was, but we moved to Barlanark in April 1953.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 8th Feb 2008, 01:11am
Post #19

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
i believe it was street next to woodside bath and were abercorn school is now facing the old gas works i was born in 66 but spent most of my days in maryhill

+Quote Post
*kathleen Sweeney*
post 2nd Aug 2008, 11:14am
Post #20

QUOTE (vinnie @ 29th Jan 2008, 07:31 PM) *
Was born and lived above Griffins bar,can remember Charlies fish-n-chips shop,Gizzis cafe,had the best ice cream,on Nothwoodside Rd there was the Rex bar,Farrells bakery,Mrs Clark,s sweetie shop,O'Brien,s funeral parlor,I can,t recall the fish store on Dobies Loan,we used to buy steam whelks and pick them out with a pin

I lived in the only close in Sawfield Place and my best friend lived above the Griffins pub and our kitchen windows looked into each other. As children we all played up the 'showgie' which was at the back of the Endrick / Pheonix picture hall which was also situated in Sawfield Place. We moved to Palm St about 1953 and my friends family moved to Northwoodside Rd above Ross's bakery. Do you remember any of this?

+Quote Post
vinnie
post 29th Aug 2008, 10:49pm
Post #21

Visitor
Member No.: 5,308
QUOTE (kathleen Sweeney @ 2nd Aug 2008, 12:18pm) *
I lived in the only close in Sawfield Place and my best friend lived above the Griffins pub and our kitchen windows looked into each other. As children we all played up the 'showgie' which was at the back of the Endrick / Pheonix picture hall which was also situated in Sawfield Place. We moved to Palm St about 1953 and my friends family moved to Northwoodside Rd above Ross's bakery. Do you remember any of this?

+Quote Post
vinnie
post 29th Aug 2008, 10:57pm
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 5,308
Did you have a brother,Charlie and Danny,Kate?

+Quote Post
Heather
post 29th Aug 2008, 11:08pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Kathleen you lived next door to me and I remember your family well. I'm one of the Curran's, we used to play together, although i'm about two years older than you.

I remember your mum used to give us green ribbons and shamrock for St. Patricks Day. smile.gif

I also remember your Aunt Bridget, well now I am in St. Bridget's Parish Baillieston in the East End of Glasgow.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Teenybash
post 10th Sep 2008, 03:40am
Post #24

Visitor
Member No.: 4,860
Hi folks

I lived in Myrtle Street 'til I was 2.

My Dad Donald (Nicky) Nicolson was born 1929 in Shamrock St but grew up in Palm St. He went to St Georges Rd school, and his first job at 14 was in RS McColls cleaning out the chocolate machines. He often talks about how all the weans in the street would gather round him to pick off the chocolate fae his overalls!

My Mum was Chrissie Corr from 61 Cedar St. She went to St Columbas' school. She worked on and off for years in Modern Mantles at the Round Toll as a sewing machinist.

Would love to see old pics of any of these streets as I've no memory of them at all.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 10th Sep 2008, 04:51am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Hi Teenybash and Welcome. There are some members who have family from Cedar st. If you type in Cedar ST. on search the previous posts will show. Good Luck. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
cowcaddens kid
post 20th Oct 2008, 12:32am
Post #26

Settling In
Member No.: 5,574
Hi I took a walk round some of the area a few weeks ago - sadly a lot of it is gone but enough of it remains to jog the old memory, I went up Bairds Bray between what was the Astoria Pictures and Oakbank hospital and walked toward Port Dundas along the canal bank. its looking a bit fancier up there these days.Anyway I found a stairway down to Sawmillfield St ? it came out next to the old cleansing depot -there is still a sign in the brickwork with the opening hours, the outer wall of the electricity board depot is still mostly intact and Editington Street is still there but the big tower has gone and so have all the tennements but the kerbstones and lamposts remain. Went along Edington st to Corn street ,just the road remains as it used to ,Civic Street is still there and the old Civic Press printers building is intact but kind of sealed up. The hill up to Phenoix park Terrace? did not look a long or as steep as I remember as as a kid we used to slide down the iced up pavement in winter long time back now .Winters were colder maybe back inthe 50s
Went across to where the old Crosburn street area was but only a wee bit of north Woodside road remains and the rest apart from what was once S tJoseph infant school has changed beyond my recollection , t was good to walk round but with mixed feelings about it and everything that was left seemed to have shrunk (still working that out) streets were shorter and narrower than i remember -
must be getting older quicker than I realise.
Anyway all the best to all who were born and grew up round there.

Gee

+Quote Post
Baberuth
post 26th Oct 2008, 05:03pm
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,157
Hello everyone. I was born in Oakbank hospital and lived at 26 Corn St. and went to St. Joseph's then St. Augustines. I'm tracing my family tree and wonder if anyone knows of a family called Edgar from McAslin St.

+Quote Post
AnneTeak
post 14th Nov 2008, 12:59am
Post #28

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,190
I remember my granny taking me to a open market through an entrance at the corner of Renfrew Street and Cowcaddens - a man used to stand at the entrance selling ribbons - there was a cafe in it ran by a German woman I think.
It was always very muddy and the market looked really old.

Does anyone know where the name Normal school came from ?

smile.gif

--------------------
Sittin on top o' the bus - looking down...............

+Quote Post
Teenybash
post 14th Nov 2008, 09:35am
Post #29

Visitor
Member No.: 4,860
Anne. One of my earliest memories is going to that market you speak about with my Dad. I was always facinated with all the ribbons. My Dad used to go to buy old 78 records from a stall there.

+Quote Post
flam
post 23rd Nov 2008, 01:59pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Teenybash. Here is a photo of what is left of Sawmillfield St as described by Cowcaddens Kid Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.