Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blackhill
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 03:54pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Blackhill

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Blackhill

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 12th Apr 2007, 11:01pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
my brother newly married & was only offered 1 house in Blackhill it was & dad gave him our German sheperd dog major whom dived oot top floor window to get to my brother when he went to local shop. huh.gif spookie eh,that dog hadnt a thing wrong with it afterwards very surprising. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
lconaghan
post 19th Mar 2008, 03:24pm
Post #3

Settling In
Member No.: 5,133
Hi Folks, my Husbands Great Grandfathers brother was Robert/Bobby Conaghan who lived in Blackhill in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I am led to believe that he was a bit of a legend in the area, so much so that they named a lounge at the Molendinar after him(The Conaghan Lounge). He was married to Sarah Johnstone and had 3 children - Rubina(Ruby) who moved to Canada, Jack, who now lives in East Kilbride and another daughter Frances who stayed in Glasgow. When he died the people of Blackhill wrote a poem that was read out at his Funeral in 1979. I have a newspaper clipping that has a picture of him in a back court in Blackhill with the MP Teddy Taylor. Unfortunately only the photo survived and the story is missing. Does anyone out there remember him or have any stories about him.
All The best
Lorna.

+Quote Post
*MAUREENMURPHY NEE MCCOMBE*
post 11th Aug 2008, 09:22pm
Post #4

hi there imoved to blackhill when i was 14 went to smithycroft school had some good freinds from there ,meet my husband then married ,and had first daughter in 1977. lived in queenslie st then moved to craigendmuir st when married, had some good memories of blackhill, hi to any one who remembers me . maureen

+Quote Post
floydian
post 13th Aug 2008, 02:02am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,947
I lived in Blackhill when i was a young boy about 4yrs old then moved to a place called twechar my mum and dad lived in blackhill for many years the family nams('s) are hanlon and mooney we lived in craigend muir street number 9 i remember only one family from there their name was agnes and john trimble they where good family friends agnes is my godmother but not seen any of the family for yrs dont know if they are still living or not but anyway thats it.

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Sep 2008, 08:38pm
Post #6

Administrator
Group Icon
Posted by mistic, using the 'Report' button instead of the 'Add reply' button:

i was born in Blackhill in Queenslie st in 1952 we lived ther till 1965my mother aqnd father was in the same house for 32yrs they were one of the first families to move ther when the houses were built we were the Dalys my sister mad her family lived ther to they were the Ogilvies when we moved out of Queenslie St we moved to Lochgreen St and I lived there till 1970 when I got married it would be good to hear from anyone who remembers the Dadly family

--------------------

+Quote Post
*maureen murphy nee mccombe*
post 9th Sep 2008, 10:58pm
Post #7

i remember a family in queenslie st called ogilvie danny was the son is it the same ones ilived there i 72 ill 76

+Quote Post
Corbymags
post 8th Dec 2008, 10:15pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,283
Hi All

I'm new to the site and havin a trawl around. I noticed a post (no 5) from Floydian who mentions John and Agnes Trimble. Floydian, if it's the same couple they would have been my aunty and uncle. My mum's maiden name was Isabella Trimble and she would have been John's big sister. If you want to know more leave me a post!! Corbymags

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 6th Jan 2009, 10:26am
Post #9

hi all
i lived in blackhill all my young days ,went to primary and secondary school there,which was riddrie primry and smithycroft sec,wasnt it jus the best lol, we were a family of 7 lived in drumpellier st ,go ha aguess who i am ........

+Quote Post
*TJM kid*
post 12th Apr 2009, 07:33pm
Post #10

My parent's lived at 11 Craigendmuir St; Tom & Lily McPhail. My dad's parent's lived at 53 Craigendmuir St; John and Bridgit McPhail and my mom's parent's lived at 59 Craigendmuir St., Hugh and Katie Boyle. My mom's sister's family lived at 22 Maryston; Cathy and Jack McLean. My parent's moved to Canada in 1972 but would love to hear from anyone that remembers them.

+Quote Post
GG
post 28th May 2009, 09:39pm
Post #11

Administrator
Group Icon
Posted by Mikael726 via the report button bu mistake:

RE Daly,

Are you ,by any chance ,Helen Daly. My name is Michael Henaghan and lived on the ground floor of the close opposite the Carlins'.
I know Margaret and Betty as well as Danny Ogilvie and also remember the day the twins were born in their house ,which was the custom then. I recall them being rushed to hospital in incubators shortly after they were born.
I can't recall their names but maybe the son was called James after your brother.
Your brother James had a motorbike and would quite often give me a lift to School which was St Mungo's at Townhead.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Margaret Burrows*
post 13th Jul 2009, 06:12pm
Post #12

My name is Margaret burrows i lived at 32 acerhill st, i also remember mrs burrell the money lender. My sisters names are isa, Cathy and Sandra we lived next close to the dochertys. Does anyone remember the Nicholl's? and also also Ronald Rodden? We used to go to school on the back of the horse and cart, down to St Roch's School.

Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me or my family.

+Quote Post
*patricia mcdade*
post 20th Aug 2009, 09:50am
Post #13

Hi all I was born in 1973, me and my brothers Frany and JoJo were raised in 25 maryston st. My Dad was John McDade but usually refered to as Daity McDade not Dante Alex McDade people get them mixed up. His brothers and sisters were all raised in 39 craigendmuir st (Mick , Rae, Margret and Cathy Mcdade). My mum nee Lesley Nee Griffin were also raised in Maryston st along with her two sisters Margret and Patsy Griffin. Their mum and Dad were Rab and Winnie Griffin who later moved onto 57 Provanmill Rd and then Gala St Riddrie where I now live in their old house. My mums Grandparents also lived in 25 Maryston st Jimmy Whelan And Isabella Whelan , their kids were Winnie Whelan( my Grandmother) James ,Cathy, Lexi and Jean. My Great Grand mother Isabella was German and I would love too hear from anyone who knew any of my family. Cheers BYT

+Quote Post
rondo
post 6th Sep 2009, 01:12pm
Post #14

Visitor
Member No.: 7,433
i was brought up in good auld blackhill have many great memories of the place and still came home here after moving away and my daughter was born here my mum was brought up along side her family and for many its a brill place its had its probs over the yrs but no more than many other scheemes i wrote a small book about my mories and have some good pics of the place its not in print something i did for my grankids but to me its speacil and i want them to know how it was wen i was small so il keep looking for memeories to share as the place has a speacil place in my heart
Attached File(s)

+Quote Post
rondo
post 6th Sep 2009, 01:30pm
Post #15

Visitor
Member No.: 7,433
just add my family were brought up in marystone st my dad was joe my mum veronica nee johnstone my granny johnstone stay4ed in drumpleir st and moodisburn st she and my granda were one of the first families to move to blackhill as they came fae garngade they had a big family frank helen eddie joe mary magaret treasa pat william peter my dad family hailed fae parkheid and they were grahams they also had a big family my brother was born in 30 marystone st and my anntie helen stayed in the same close as my anntie mags mccabe my granda francie johnstones sisters were both in marystone st as well both married to mcwans they were annie and margeret my dads mum my granny was masie graham and lived in creigendmuir st with my anntie masie a few cloes along her name was caruthers my unk hugh lived in criggy with my granny till he died his sons billy and hugh both stayed in ackerhill st my first hoose in blackhill was criggy to and i married and divorced a blackhill boy called hunter my granny johnstone has a memorial tree on the royston rd dedcated to her nancy was her name and she along with my jamesion mrs viegtch and mrs gorden were all on the community council for many yrs my granny did the penisoners lunch club wen it was a hut in spare ground and helepd get the comm centre built sadly not there noo, if anyone remembers any of the ones iv mention get in touch it will be good to here about them in their early days

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.