Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barlanark
Rating 5 V
wee kenny strang
post 27th Nov 2011, 12:06pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,190
Hullo,
anyone from Barlanark in the 60's remember playing fitba in the street?
i used to spend days on end kicking a ba aboot in Pendeen Road, very occasionally stopping because a car came along. Played wi Jamie Moreland, Rab Docherty, Joe O'Hara, Pat Brannan, Billy Ashford amongst others. Anyone know of these guys? The only downside was the ba used to go over the fence and down to the railway. Other guys i kicked about with were Joe and Jim Latham, Rab and Brian McLeod, Tam Dougan but there were loads of us, all from Pendeen Road.
would love to hear from anyone who remebers any of us.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bighoops
post 4th Dec 2011, 10:11pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,140
hi all im just looking for some friends to chat i noticed that someone is looking for the Bells who stayed in Bressay road Barlanark well im one of the bell family so who ever is looking for us contact me on my email address mclarenp14@yahoo.co.uk please thanks i am patricia mclaren (bell) i dont use the name any more its mclaren thanks

+Quote Post
AndyR
post 8th Feb 2012, 08:37pm
Post #33

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,898
Hi all grew up in Kentallen Rd #44,went to St Pauls then the St Judes when they built it,Penny if you you still check out this page I slighty remember you and your brother ,i remember Mrs brown across the street from you ,I saw her about 15yrs ago when i was there ,I also remember Mcsorley he had a bubble car ,I came across a page they had a house for sale for 66,000 pounds ,I worked for Pat the milkman if you remember him I lived ther till my teenage years Pals with the McCabes Ronnie Martin ,John Ward ( big ears)Don Roy to name a few Andy Reilly

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Feb 2012, 09:25pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Andy, I knew the McCabes, there was a sister May who became a Nurse, then Arthur and I think there were twin boys.

I heard a few years ago that Arthur had died.

I lived in 4 Kentallen Road right from it was first built.
I was in Secondary School and had to travel into Town, but my younger sisters went to St. Paul's Primary and the youngest moved to St. Judes Primary when it was first built.
We also went to St. Paul's Chapel on Sunday until St. Jude's Chapel was built.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
AndyR
post 11th Feb 2012, 08:48pm
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,898
Hi Heather I see you responed to my Barlanark page ,I went to school with John & Frank McCabe
I also remember May & Arthur ,the middle brother was Joe ,At 1 time I might have delivered your milk as I worked for Pat when I was about 14 ,after that would go to the Greg and fall asleep in class'
Did any of your brothers or sisters have Mrs Kean as their teacher at St Judus ?
We used to steal,totties and roast them when we had bonfires ih the park on Hallhill rd,
not sure if you know my sister Jeanette she went to Charlott st next oldest is Bobby remember him going to St Pauls,

+Quote Post
Heather
post 11th Feb 2012, 11:29pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Andy I did not know your sister as before moving to Barlanark I lived in the Cowcaddens and never heard of Charlotte Streeter until we moved house.
I alway seemed to be the odd one out when travelling to school as I had to go right into Buchanan Street Bus Station.

I remember the time the kids stole rhubarb out the fields of St. Johns Home. Rhubarb pies were being baked all over Hallhill Road and Kentallen Road and the other roads in between. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*Gerimc*
post 3rd Mar 2012, 11:37pm
Post #37

QUOTE (wee anne @ 22nd Mar 2009, 01:34am) *
MY MANS BROTHER LIVED IN BARLANARK NAME WAS THOMAS CALMAN,DONT REMEMBER THE STREET BUT IT WAS JUST IN FRONT OF THE EDINBURGH RD,,

+Quote Post
*Gerimc*
post 3rd Mar 2012, 11:45pm
Post #38

QUOTE (wee anne @ 22nd Mar 2009, 01:34am) *
MY MANS BROTHER LIVED IN BARLANARK NAME WAS THOMAS CALMAN,DONT REMEMBER THE STREET BUT IT WAS JUST IN FRONT OF THE EDINBURGH RD,,

I think it was Bressay Road, the Calmans lived at no 50?

+Quote Post
H9BTD
post 19th Mar 2012, 11:36pm
Post #39

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,044
QUOTE (*barbara* @ 17th Aug 2009, 10:14pm) *
Heather you said you lived in no. 4 Kentallen Road. My mum and dad lived in no.5 but moved to Inverness about 1985. I was born in Barlanark place and lived there till I left home 1974 to get married, I moved to Shettleston Road, my mum and dad moved to kentallen road then to Inverness where I also live now. Campbell is our name.

hi Barbara your mum stayed next door to my mum&dad our name was Hainan,We moved to barlanark in 1953 calvay road,in 1977 moved to kentallen road

+Quote Post
H9BTD
post 19th Mar 2012, 11:40pm
Post #40

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,044
QUOTE (Stewartmac1 @ 6th Jan 2011, 12:22am) *
I'm looking for a guy called John Devlin who lived in Barlanark in the 70's with his family (parents.) We used to work together at James Young Engineering Ltd in Bartholomew St. Glasgow around 1978/9 I'm guessing that he would be in his mid-fifties now & was an avid Celtic fan. I was a 17 year old apprentice & lived in Paisley. I left the area to relocate to Aberdeen around Xmas 1979. He 'treated' me to a night out in the El Paso pub before I left. He doesnt owe me money or anything biggrin.gif....I'm just curious to see how the last 30 odd years have panned out for him! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Stewart.

they stayed next close to me his sister sadie on facebok

+Quote Post
*irene robertson*
post 21st May 2012, 12:16am
Post #41

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 20th Nov 2009, 09:16am) *
My mates lived in Kentallen Road- Bill McSorley and Ian Robertson- both would be about 66 now. Bill was latterly a fireman and Ian a sparky with Electricity Board.

Anybody know of them?

sorry to say they are both dead. bill a good few years ago andIan
(my brother) in march this year.

+Quote Post
*brian shepherd*
post 4th Jun 2012, 01:47am
Post #42

QUOTE (odeonclubboy @ 8th Nov 2011, 05:42pm) *
i remember a family called barclay i think who lived in garvel road and he had an ice cream van this was in the 50's/60's

Yeah he used to drive round the scheme remember getting penny singles from him

+Quote Post
napmnapl1
post 8th Jul 2012, 08:37pm
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,125
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 05:07pm) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Barlanark

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Barlanark

GG.

+Quote Post
**Helen**
post 13th Jul 2012, 08:38pm
Post #44

Hi my name is Helen was brought up in Barlanark from 1972,I lived with my brother William and my mum and dad William and Mary (May) Hogg.We lived in Sandaig road rite opposit the school.My gran lived next dor to us Ellen and George little.There were my aunts including Theresa who now lives in Oxford,my aunt Elaine who is in Musselburgh,my aunt Yvonne who's in Lesmahagow,my aunt Anne who's in Isle of man and my Mum who are in Musselbrgh to.My uncles are Edward who is in Bellshill and Jim who is sadly deceased.We had our fun times and bad times in Barlanark but that's wat we called home.I still have my mums aunt who stays in shuttle son who we visit.

+Quote Post
**Gillian**
post 12th Aug 2012, 11:20pm
Post #45

I lived in barlanark and am very proud of this, it was a great community and every body new you. Both my parents were brought up in barlanark, I was born 1970 and went to barlanark primary. Then to cranhill secondary. I only wish my children could have such a good close nit upbringing.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.