Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barlanark
Rating 5 V
**Linda**
post 24th Dec 2009, 11:21am
Post #16

I lived in 8 Millbeg Place. Our family moved there when Barlanark was first built. My name then was Linda Rankin and I have a brother Ronnie, brother Alan and sister Elaine. I am 58. My best friend is Grace Whyte who lived in the next close. Her dad cut hair in the scheme and could be seen going round with his little brown case. We had a fantastic time in Barlanark and because we stayed in a small street we had lots of friends and I remember loads of us going away to the seaside for the day. My Mum and Dad moved out in 1971 as it was starting to get a bit rough then. They managed to get a council flat in Eastwood which was just the same as the flat we stayed in in Barlanark but the neighbours were all quite elderly. Our first new year there my mum couldn't believe that the neighbours in our close had never been in each others houses. She soon changed that.

Grace and I are still best friends although she has been in Melbourne for the last 20 years. She is married to Joe and has a son Simon who is a qualified pilot. Grace's brother Jim who emigrated to Australia about 30 years ago - he married Margaret Barclay - persuaded Grace to move there when their Mum died. Her dad went with them at the age of 79 but he has now passed away. My mum had a stroke at 55 but she lived for 17 years after that and my dad died two years ago this January at 89. I went to Cranhill School and sad to see that it is no longer there. I now live in the West End of Glasgow with my husband Ken and Max the cat.

It would be nice to go back in time to Barlanark for just one day and wait for Tommy Tango the ice cream man to come round! Lots of happy memories
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th Dec 2009, 10:02pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Barbara, my cousin Barbara lived in Cadder, now in Canada. My name is also Barbara. laugh.gif

Mhoira one of my sister's went about with a girl who's surname was Cunningham, but I can't remember her first name.
That would be in the 60s and they were both Cliff Richard fans. smile.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*Gerald Brogan*
post 3rd Jan 2010, 10:54am
Post #18

I was born in 1955 at my home in 222 Pendeen road, and grew up their until December 1969 when my family moved to Italy.
I went to St. Jude’s primary school and St. Gregory’s secondary school.
My childhood friends where Edie Mitchell, Danny Mc Garvey, And also James Snedon how lived in 225 Bellrock Street and went to school at St. Gregory’s secondary school with me.
I remember going to St. Jude’s church on Sunday morning, at that time there was Father Falin ( who ran away to get married) and Father Docherty who, as i remember, talked us off during the mass if we coughed, “stop that ignorant coughing!” he used to say.
I remember, when me an my brother Mario, went down the field (the Jew’s cemetery) to play, and also we went often to play in an old house that was in Old Mans Road.
We used to make a swing using a long rope tied under the bridge of the blue train line, and we used to play up “Black Hill” that was a huge (at least so it seemed to us at that time) black mountain, and we used to slide down using carton boxes and ran Action Man’s Jeep down there as well.
I remember, that from the window of my house, we could see a football field that was far away across the blue train railway.
I remember that every now and then, we could here a siren from far away, and my dad told us (probably kidding) that in was an air attack alarm.
I remember going to the State cinema with may dad to see Thunder Ball (James Bond).

+Quote Post
*Penny-Arizona*
post 7th Jan 2010, 10:17pm
Post #19

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 20th Nov 2009, 09:16am) *
My mates lived in Kentallen Road- Bill McSorley and Ian Robertson- both would be about 66 now. Bill was latterly a fireman and Ian a sparky with Electricity Board.

Anybody know of them?

+Quote Post
Pennyo
post 7th Jan 2010, 10:32pm
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,391
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 20th Nov 2009, 02:16am) *
My mates lived in Kentallen Road- Bill McSorley and Ian Robertson- both would be about 66 now. Bill was latterly a fireman and Ian a sparky with Electricity Board.

Anybody know of them?

I knew Bill and his brother Michael. My name was Penny Devlin I have a brother named Edward. We lived at #64 Kentallen Rd. Immigrated to the States in 1962. Say hello to them for me.
Penny

+Quote Post
broger
post 8th Jan 2010, 07:26pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,949
I was born in 1955 in my home in 222 Pendeen road, and grew up their until December 1969 when my family moved to Italy.
I went to St. Jude’s primary school and St. Gregory’s secondary school.
My childhood friends where Edie Mitchell, Danny Mc Garvey, And also James Snedon how lived in 225 Bellrock Street and went to school at St. Gregory’s secondary school with me.
I remember going to St. Jude’s church on Sunday morning, at that time there was Father Falin ( who ran away to get married) and Father Docherty who, as i remember, talked us off during the mass if we coughed, “stop that ignorant coughing!” he used to say.
I remember, when me an my brother Mario, went down the field (the Jew’s cemetery) to play, and also we went often to play in an old house that was in Old Mans Road.
We used to make a swing using a long rope tied under the bridge of the blue train line, and we used to play up “Black Hill” that was a huge (at least so it seemed to us at that time) black mountain, and we used to slide down using carton boxes and ran Action Man’s Jeep down there as well.
I remember, that from the window of my house, we could see a football field that was far away across the blue train railway.
I remember that every now and then, we could here a siren from far away, and my dad told us (probably kidding) that in was an air attack alarm.
I remember going to the State cinema with may dad to see Thunder Ball (James Bond).

+Quote Post
Stillroom
post 20th Jan 2010, 03:43pm
Post #22

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
QUOTE (*Linda* @ 24th Dec 2009, 11:19am) *
I lived in 8 Millbeg Place. Our family moved there when Barlanark was first built. My name then was Linda Rankin and I have a brother Ronnie, brother Alan and sister Elaine. I am 58. My best friend is Grace Whyte who lived in the next close. Her dad cut hair in the scheme and could be seen going round with his little brown case. We had a fantastic time in Barlanark and because we stayed in a small street we had lots of friends and I remember loads of us going away to the seaside for the day. My Mum and Dad moved out in 1971 as it was starting to get a bit rough then. They managed to get a council flat in Eastwood which was just the same as the flat we stayed in in Barlanark but the neighbours were all quite elderly. Our first new year there my mum couldn't believe that the neighbours in our close had never been in each others houses. She soon changed that.

Grace and I are still best friends although she has been in Melbourne for the last 20 years. She is married to Joe and has a son Simon who is a qualified pilot. Grace's brother Jim who emigrated to Australia about 30 years ago - he married Margaret Barclay - persuaded Grace to move there when their Mum died. Her dad went with them at the age of 79 but he has now passed away. My mum had a stroke at 55 but she lived for 17 years after that and my dad died two years ago this January at 89. I went to Cranhill School and sad to see that it is no longer there. I now live in the West End of Glasgow with my husband Ken and Max the cat.

It would be nice to go back in time to Barlanark for just one day and wait for Tommy Tango the ice cream man to come round! Lots of happy memories

Hi I lived at 26 Sandaig Road from 1953 until 1964 I have good memories,especially the open spaces, we lived opposite the field overlooking the cemetry(not the jews) and went first to Lightburn and then moved over the road to Cranhill Secondary

--------------------
Katie Bairdie

+Quote Post
*barbiegirl*
post 21st Jan 2010, 10:38pm
Post #23

I'm looking for a guy who lived in Barlanark in 1965. No idea how long he'd been there but went by name of Brian Harwood. Anybody know him or any family? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. midgetgem1966@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
murn
post 23rd Jan 2010, 09:26pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
A wee photo for all from Barlanark. Playing football in the 50s somewhere near Hallhill and Burnmouth.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 2nd Feb 2010, 09:45pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Murn, you have it right. The spare ground where the boys are playing football was on Hallhill Road and Burnmouth Road. Just past the Jewish Cemetery.
I think there is a Building there now, a Health Centre or something like that and some shops.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
murphyschnapps
post 2nd Dec 2010, 01:47pm
Post #26

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,132
QUOTE (zenapat @ 26th Jul 2007, 06:58am) *
I was born in Barlanark in 1969, i lived there until 2000 then moved to Guernsey in the Channel Islands. I went to St. Judes school and then St. Andrews. I may have left thr Bar-L but you will never take the Bar-L out of me

hey zenapat, I too went to the Jude and the andrew, although I may heve been 2 years ahead of you, I lived in Garvel road, cheers

--------------------
ah go on

+Quote Post
Stewartmac1
post 6th Jan 2011, 01:17am
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,507
I'm looking for a guy called John Devlin who lived in Barlanark in the 70's with his family (parents.) We used to work together at James Young Engineering Ltd in Bartholomew St. Glasgow around 1978/9 I'm guessing that he would be in his mid-fifties now & was an avid Celtic fan. I was a 17 year old apprentice & lived in Paisley. I left the area to relocate to Aberdeen around Xmas 1979. He 'treated' me to a night out in the El Paso pub before I left. He doesnt owe me money or anything biggrin.gif....I'm just curious to see how the last 30 odd years have panned out for him! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Stewart.

+Quote Post
Paulli75
post 28th Mar 2011, 07:29pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,702
I was brought up in Barlanark from the age of 2 right up until I was 17 then moved into my own flat in the Gorbals. We stayed in Burnmouth Rd for 15 years then moved round to Millbeg Cres where my mum & brother still stay. I went to Sandaig Nursery,St Jude's Primary then onto St Andrew's Sec. I now stay in Bridgeton where I have been for nearly 14 years now. Have so many good memories of growin up in Barlanark,got up to so many things back then. biggrin.gif As much as I'm proud to be from there I certainly would never move back as there is nothing there anymore & I'm too used to bein near the City Centre & the Forge. As I always say you can take the girl outta Barlanark but you will never take Barlanark outta the girl. wink.gif

+Quote Post
sake
post 15th Aug 2011, 01:36am
Post #29

Visitor
Member No.: 5,586
QUOTE (*Linda* @ 24th Dec 2009, 01:07pm) *

lol My grandad use to have this ice cream van when my mum was pregnant with me smile.gif that was back in 1980

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 8th Nov 2011, 04:27pm
Post #30

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,134
i remember a family called barclay i think who lived in garvel road and he had an ice cream van this was in the 50's/60's

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.