Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arden
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 03:47pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Arden

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Arden

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 4th May 2007, 09:01am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
I lived in Arden for approx 3yrs from the age of 1 1/2 - 4 1/2 and stayed at 19 kilberg terrace.My Mother and father Used tae work at the RAWLPLUG factory just doon the road.

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
murn
post 20th Nov 2007, 06:25pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
An aerial photograph taken in January 1959 by the RAF, showing the Darnley and Deaconsbank areas .

All the contours of the snowy landscape can be seen in this beautiful image. Waulkmill Glen Reservoir lies in the bottom left hand corner with the dark outline of the woods of Waulkmill Glen to the north. The Brock Burn winds emerges from the glen and winds through the fields to the north on which the Darnley and Deaconsbank housing estates were subsequently built. Nitshill Road cuts diagonally across the top of the photograph, from Nitshill on the left to Arden at the junction with Stewarton Road on the right.
Priesthill can be seen at the top. Anyone for a snow fight?

+Quote Post
Toronto Tom
post 23rd Nov 2007, 08:53pm
Post #4

Settling In
Member No.: 5,165
I used to live at 9 Kilmuir Road. Was there for about 9 years.
Have some great memories.

+Quote Post
hackbhoy
post 8th Nov 2008, 04:39pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,198
hey 20yrs kilbeg lol bro sad.gif 19.k/b 5yrs 21 k/b tongue.gif

+Quote Post
bob121062
post 17th May 2009, 03:26pm
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,130
Arden has become one of Glasgows worst areas nowadays due to teenage hooligans using drugs and drink to excess, the crime rate has gone through the roof in the last ten years or so and the government have just about taken away every local amenity that youngsters could have used to break up the boredom ........ I dont even think there is a community centre anymore. There were a few really good youth football teams as well but I dont even think here are any football clubs at all there now.

Its a same really because this sort of situation only breeds contemp among the people who live there and the lifestyle becomes a dog eat dog existence.

I lived in Carnwadric for a number of years and rden wasn't nearly as bad as it seems to be now. I hope I am wrong and maybe lately thngs have improved.

Bob

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 8th Jul 2009, 08:37pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
QUOTE (bob121062 @ 17th May 2009, 04:43pm) *
Arden has become one of Glasgows worst areas nowadays due to teenage hooligans using drugs and drink to excess, the crime rate has gone through the roof in the last ten years or so and the government have just about taken away every local amenity that youngsters could have used to break up the boredom ........ I dont even think there is a community centre anymore. There were a few really good youth football teams as well but I dont even think here are any football clubs at all there now.

Its a same really because this sort of situation only breeds contemp among the people who live there and the lifestyle becomes a dog eat dog existence.

I lived in Carnwadric for a number of years and rden wasn't nearly as bad as it seems to be now. I hope I am wrong and maybe lately thngs have improved.

Bob

Hi Bob,
It's a shame what's happened to Arden over the years,I was very young when I lived there but I remember that time fondly.
Everyone in the close was like an Auntie or an Uncle to me,I remember running around the field behind my close and enjoying every second of it,being so young I never knew of, or saw any trouble back then (late 60's).
Sadly I went on You-tube and have seen many a video of the area and it's population,it's sad to see what was once a lovely community slip into such a slum and I'm sorry for using that word,as it seems to be over run with junkies & Gang's.
Thankfully I have my memories of a much nicer place,when a wee 3yr auld never had to worry about going to the shops alone to get some sweeties.

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
wee sammy
post 8th Jul 2009, 09:02pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 64
I remember back in the early 70s the toon tongs from arden would come over to Priesthill for the nightly gang fight it was like a secne out of Braveheart shouting and yelling never saw a policeman . Never saw anyone get hit it was running back and forwards funny when i think back on it

+Quote Post
ardenkilbeg-t
post 3rd Sep 2009, 03:42pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,421
QUOTE (wee sammy @ 8th Jul 2009, 10:19pm) *
I remember back in the early 70s the toon tongs from arden would come over to Priesthill for the nightly gang fight it was like a secne out of Braveheart shouting and yelling never saw a policeman . Never saw anyone get hit it was running back and forwards funny when i think back on it

hello wee sammy . you are aout 4 years older than me . but i remember the same things you describe only i was 10 or 11 lived at kilbeg terrace . would sit with the kids my age while the older one's would charge up and down the fields towards nits hill and priest hill . like you say never a police to be seen . sad that things actualy seem worse than that now . my aunty used to live in priest hill near the big water tower her daughters have as she would say boat hoose's there now . i live in surrey now, should have seen her face when i told her . a boat house too it's on the thames .i wish . haha

+Quote Post
jimbo
post 3rd Sep 2009, 05:42pm
Post #10

Resident
Member No.: 6,826
hello ardenkilbegt the toon tong s had to fight the bundy and the priesty and the nitsie and the nitsie would fight the priesty and the priesty would fight the bundy and the bundy would fight the nitsie ach we'r awe pals noo do you remember the world war bomb found at the corner of 23 kilmuir dr my sister lived there . hence it was awkward for me to visit her due to the gang fights i lived in brock rd then so walking through the fiels was scary you didn know wit gang would pop up

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 22nd Jan 2010, 01:26am
Post #11

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
The easiest way to Roukie wiz through Arden, It could be a bit dodgy if ye bumped intae the wrang people. Me and ma pals met a bunch of boys fae Arden at the burn wance. We played fitba wi' them at the pitch near the railway in Priesthill. They invited us tae play a return match at Carnwadric Park the next Sunday,which we did. We never made it a regular event though.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
*scotsirishtyke*
post 26th Mar 2010, 06:57pm
Post #12

Hi,

My Gran and granda used to live in Kilmuir road, Thornlibank, with my great grandparents.
We visited them on our holidays every year and I used to love going there, they lived on the top floor and we used to run down the stairs when the ice cream van came, and buy a double-nougat.
So sad to hear it is now such a dump, I am only pleased they are not here to see it.

Scotsirishtyke

+Quote Post
*Fuzzyhair*
post 31st Jul 2010, 08:07am
Post #13

I lived in Kilmuir road near Kilvaxter from 1962- 1979. Place was full of diddys and wanna be hard men even then. But these guys ended up as lifes failures. I go back now and then looking for some of the sad sacks who so very proudly used to bully me. I have been fortunate enough to have been able to migrate to Whitcraigs, but still remain friends with some girls i knew back then. The bullies are too insignificant to name. Small fish, small pond, small minds.

Thank God my 4 kids need not go through that sesspit

+Quote Post
*sean morrow*
post 16th Aug 2010, 01:09am
Post #14

QUOTE (Toronto Tom @ 23rd Nov 2007, 10:03pm) *
I used to live at 9 Kilmuir Road. Was there for about 9 years.
Have some great memories.

I lived in 8 kilmuir road ohmy.gif the morrow family ?

+Quote Post
Toronto Tom
post 7th Oct 2010, 04:19am
Post #15

Settling In
Member No.: 5,165
Sean. I have a horrible memory, and I don't recall your name. Mine is Tom Kennedy. Ring a bell?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.