Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anderston
Jamsie
post 21st Oct 2011, 10:03pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,025
QUOTE (John57 @ 18th Nov 2008, 12:29am) *
i also was born in Anderston in 1957 as was my brothers and sisters..my surname is Grimes..i was born in crimea st..played in the swing park..and robert was the name of the parkie..we also stayed at corner of Bishop St it was then that my brother Robert died near Anderston cross hit by a bus 1962.. my dada worked some nights in quentins and the Wee Mans bars..as a kid growing up there i thot it was great...my mums family been in Anderston since 1860s and really its any member of her family or descendants im looking for now...her maiden name was McMunnagil.. father Robert(ben)..grandparents John and Mary..grt grandparents Robert and Isabella..other families that married into them or a family member was ... McConnel..Murphy..Andrews... Morrison..Black.. Armstrong.. ive tried other sites looking for members genes reunited so if you see this and recognise something and are a member on genes then look for my posts on the Trying to find Board... McMunnagil/Mc|Munnagill..

Long, long time ago, but remember your brother very well, "Robert" who died in a very unfortunate accident at anderston cross (with one of those new bus's at that time), I lived at Clydeferry St. Was in the same class as Robert, (St Pat's, bishop st) he was very artistic, I thought you lot lived along beside "McAlpine St" any way, long story, but I personally can "never" forget Robert.

Sorry I can't help you on family history, just to let you know, I never forget the "Grimes" family
through "Robert"

Take care

Jim Stevenson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 29th Oct 2011, 04:18pm
Post #32

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi all

Did not come from Anderson but used to go about Finneston St does anyone remember a Glencross family I believe from Grace St. I went out with one of the Glencross girls around about 1959-60 would like to get in touch if anyone kows any of them.

Regards Hudggy (Rab Carrigan)

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
*John57*
post 10th Dec 2011, 01:49am
Post #33

Hi Jamsie,
Thanks for your reply, we did staY in McAlpine St but did move a few times lol was in Bishop St when Robert died..you wouldnt by any chance have old school class foto with robert in it..only one i have is one (copy) from Daily Record archives ,older brother Matt got

Regards

John

+Quote Post
anne mc
post 14th Jul 2012, 07:38am
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,296
my mothers family the
davidsons came from Anderston does anyone know of them. Thats all i know about them her first name was Evelyn and she married someone called Donnolly before her and my Dad got married he is a Mc Donald. They splt up in the early sixties and I never seen her since . Can anyone remember the Davidsons thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
sweetpea
post 19th Jul 2012, 06:23pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,200
hello anne,
do you stay in glasgow?,
the only advice I can give is mitchell library,
you will find plenty of info there ,
voters roll, cencus records, poor records,
it,s once you start you will be amazed at what you
uncover,
a lot of people who stayed in anderston had to rely on
poor relief, like our grandparents times were hard
wish you good luck in your search

cheers

+Quote Post
**robert**
post 5th May 2013, 12:07am
Post #36

would like to contact anyone about mcmunnigal family
rm001f4075@blueyonder.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Jim Stevenso*
post 16th May 2013, 01:44am
Post #37

QUOTE (John57 @ 18th Nov 2008, 12:20am) *
i also was born in Anderston in 1957 as was my brothers and sisters..my surname is Grimes..i was born in crimea st..played in the swing park..and robert was the name of the parkie..we also stayed at corner of Bishop St it was then that my brother Robert died near Anderston cross hit by a bus 1962.. my dada worked some nights in quentins and the Wee Mans bars..as a kid growing up there i thot it was great...my mums family been in Anderston since 1860s and really its any member of her family or descendants im looking for now...her maiden name was McMunnagil.. father Robert(ben)..grandparents John and Mary..grt grandparents Robert and Isabella..other families that married into them or a family member was ... McConnel..Murphy..Andrews... Morrison..Black.. Armstrong.. ive tried other sites looking for members genes reunited so if you see this and recognise something and are a member on genes then look for my posts on the Trying to find Board... McMunnagil/Mc|Munnagill..

+Quote Post
**jamsie**
post 16th May 2013, 01:54am
Post #38

QUOTE (John57 @ 10th Dec 2011, 02:06am) *
Hi Jamsie,
Thanks for your reply, we did staY in McAlpine St but did move a few times lol was in Bishop St when Robert died..you wouldnt by any chance have old school class foto with robert in it..only one i have is one (copy) from Daily Record archives ,older brother Matt got

Regards

John

I was the one that "stole" Roberts "kite" that he made at school, (sorry) but he chased me across the main road (Argyle st.) where big "Sid" the policeman was in the centre directing the traffic.

We arrived at the other side of the road (Washington st.) and I gave up, and gave Robert his "kite" back, Forgive me please I was a stupid child then!! I am sorry to say I have no photos of Robert from those early days.

+Quote Post
*Jim Stevenso*
post 16th May 2013, 02:45am
Post #39

QUOTE (Stevie3 @ 11th Oct 2011, 01:33am) *
Hi anyone know any Stevensons William James John Sarah and Margaret they were all born I think in Cadzow St William Married Magaret Robertson James married Mary Speirs Sarah married Robert Mcguire Margaret Married Robert McMunnigall John never married

Happy to hear from anyone who knows any of their decendants

Bill Stevenson in Australia

Busman

+Quote Post
chrislaff1912
post 15th Jun 2013, 01:48am
Post #40

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,692
Hi, my name is Chris Lafferty.
I was born in Robroyston Hospital Dec 1957 and brought home to 3 Catherine Place (top floor) i stayed there until I was six years old. I have an older brother Billy born in Dec 1948, my Fathers name was Jimmy and my Mothers was Lilias.
I remember playing in the back court, the brockie and up and down the Lane. Other things that come to mind are the Rag and Bone man and the Brickets man with their horse and carts. I also remember starting school at Finnieston Street school and passing the Police and Fire stations every day in the walk two and from school with my Mum.
i remember we had a Bowman family living up our close and a woman called Patsy, who was friends with my Mum, lived on the bottom left as you came in the close. I had to climb in Patsy's window one day when she locked herself out of the house. Her husband was a keen cyclist and he kept his bike in the close. There were six families in number 3, it would be nice to put a name to them all, can anyone help?
In 1964 we moved to a new home in the Kingsway Flats, I attended Scotstoun school. My Dad died when I was 10 and I came back to Anderston to live with my Grandparents the Hughes at 788 Argyle Street, on the corner with Elderslie Street across the road from Ladolas cafe. I attended Kent Road Primary before going up to Woodside Secondary.
i have loads of memories of that time of my life that I'll keep for future postings, however, I will mention Biily Begg, Frank Coyle and Kenny Anderson who had a twin Sister called Georgina.
We were moved to the Shaftsbury Street multi when they demolished 788 Argyle Street. I hope I have stirred some memories and look forward. To reading the responses especially about Catherine Place.

+Quote Post
matt.63
post 25th Aug 2013, 02:44pm
Post #41

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,502
my family came from brown street any information on it

--------------------
A man's a man for a that

+Quote Post
tombro
post 26th Aug 2013, 10:11am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
matt.63,

If it's information on the street you're after, Brown Street ran down from Argyle Street to the Broomielaw.

My Granny lived in Crimea Street which joined Brown Street to Carrick Street (closer to Anderston Cross), about halfway down to the Clyde. The next street along from Brown Street, towards Central Station, was James Watt Street, the site of one of Glasgow's biggest fires, I think, in the early sixties.

If you're looking for information on your family, perhaps you could give us the family name and I'm sure there's lots of people on GG who will try to help you out.

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
matt.63
post 26th Aug 2013, 05:45pm
Post #43

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,502
QUOTE (tombro @ 26th Aug 2013, 10:09am) *
matt.63,

If it's information on the street you're after, Brown Street ran down from Argyle Street to the Broomielaw.

My Granny lived in Crimea Street which joined Brown Street to Carrick Street (closer to Anderston Cross), about halfway down to the Clyde. The next street along from Brown Street, towards Central Station, was James Watt Street, the site of one of Glasgow's biggest fires, I think, in the early sixties.

If you're looking for information on your family, perhaps you could give us the family name and I'm sure there's lots of people on GG who will try to help you out.

Tombro smile.gif :)Hi, tombro thanks for the info, my family name is burns, other family living there name of Carr or Kerr

--------------------
A man's a man for a that

+Quote Post
tombro
post 27th Aug 2013, 09:51am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
matt.63,

It's been over fifty years but I do remember visits to a family in Brown Street while at my grannies. No way could I ever remember the names but their tenement was up Brown Street from Crimea Street, towards Argyle Street.

You never know, it could have been your rellies !

Tombro biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 1st Sep 2013, 05:41pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Shaftesbury Street demolition
http://m.stv.tv/news/west-central/238086-t...gow-demolished/

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.