Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are The Scots Really Irish? Dalriada, Gallowglass, The historical links between Ulster and Argyll
Rating 5 V
seamus1954
post 18th Aug 2012, 08:45pm
Post #256

Lord Provost
Member No.: 13,082
QUOTE (RonD @ 6th Jul 2012, 02:22am) *
Well Gallus I appreciate your compliment, while I do admit to an avid interest in the subject matter, I can only skim the surface of the deep pool that Paul knew so well and shared so willingly.

Ron D , Would they be anything on the Surname Lamb The Clan Lamont claims that is a sept of The Clan Lamont what would you think? Seamus
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonD
post 19th Aug 2012, 09:07am
Post #257

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Hi Seamus: Yes Lamb is associated with Clan Lamont in the Scottish Encyclopedia of Clans and Tartans. Lamb was probably the Anglicization of Lamont into English. However, Lamb was a name found throughout Scotland so anyone with the name is not necessarily associated with Clan Lamont.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 19th Aug 2012, 02:22pm
Post #258

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Wear the mantle with pride.

Mind you I may ask you a few questions maself. LOL

+Quote Post
Galloglas
post 1st Jan 2013, 11:15am
Post #259

Unpacking
Member No.: 17,629
Just found this forum some interesting stuff on here.Really good reading. I'm a McCabe my Grandfather came from Co Cavan.
As for the origins of the family I've heard of the Macleod link and the Arran link however as yet I don't think I've seen anything to firm either story up.
There is a McCabe DNA site and I have submitted my DNA but I really can't get my head round it.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/mccabe...section=results

I have my own theory that the McCabes ended up there when King Robert's brother Edward went to Ireland. There is a hill on the Cavan/Meath border called Bruce hill so he must have been operating in that area.
I've also seen old gravestones from the 18th and 19th century in Killinkere Co Cavan and some of the names are Torquil and Sorley. I also know that even in the early 19th century the McCabes were still being referred to as "foreigners"
As to the origins of the name I've heard everything from Jewish fighters to the caped/helmeted ones.I have no idea if this theory stands up but the Irish name for Cavan is An Cabhan so maybe that might be a link.
The Clan lost their status in the late 17th century when the senior members moved to the court of King James in France.Though the site of their castle at Moyne hall just outside Cavan still has some of the old castle built into it.
Hopefully the DNA might give us some positive answers.
The Galloglas are a fascinating subject that we know so little about.

+Quote Post
*James Williams*
post 4th Dec 2014, 09:51pm
Post #260

QUOTE (JMcHarg @ 2nd Jul 2009, 07:49pm) *
Hi, i'm a McHarg from Scotland, there seems to be very little information on this surnames history (in Scotland) but i have read that McHarg, Meharg, and McHargue are all the same name and originate in Ireland. I've also read that McHarg's are rarely found outside of Galloway, my father and his family are from Glasgow.

My brother found a site where they were apparently doing DNA tests on McHarg's and found that every McHarg tested had the Niall of The Nine Hostages DNA.

My mother's family are Ross and i've heard they have an Irish connection too, so any information on McHarg and Ross in regards to Ireland would be much appreciated.

Try looking up the Graham Maharg connection from Scottland there you will find a very interesting story of how the Maharg's got their name. You can google the words Graham, Maharg. Maharg is Graham spelt backwards.

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 24th Dec 2014, 09:23pm
Post #261

When discussing the origins of Scotland, the name Scotland, the Scottish people, there are a few historical points to bear in mind. Firstly, Scotland, before it was Scotland, was inhabited by mostly tribes with the common language of the European Gaul (Gk. Prytonii). This was the dominant language and culture of all of the country prior to the coming of the insular Celts from Antrim I.E. The Gaelic speakers, who had no common tongue with the then inhabitants; Picta, Daemoni, Selgovii etc. There is evidence of Gaelic speakers around Strathclyde prior to the Roman invasions. After the demise of Roman ascendancy and the native "Britons" the Angles and Saxons took over swathes of country around the present artificial borders.

The Viking came adding Norwegian blood and language to the mix. Consequently Scotland became known as the "Land of the four languages".

To speak of blood lines in this mix is to indulge in the "Myth of the Common Ancestor " so endearing to the Highland clans. I can reel of the clans and names of the clan chiefs who are ostensibly my ancestors ad nauseum, but it means nothing in the actuality of history's page.

There was a passage relating to a Scottish army in medieval times writing by a prelate scribe of the Norman / Anglican persuasion (obviously prejudiced) who described the Scottish invaders as a "Monsterous mongrel assemblage, comprising of Gaels, Gauls Danes, Germans and Angles". So in the mix of things to talk of Scots it much more accurate to talk of who we were and not of what we are now. I become dismissive of this "Bloodline" myth as I see no connection to myself as a MacIan or McKean than any of that name living in Canada Australia Swaziland or the West Indies.

We are like it or not "Aw Jock Thamson's bairns.

+Quote Post
*J McAfee*
post 15th Sep 2015, 10:16pm
Post #262

My McAfee family is from the Isle of Islay and the old surname is McDuffee. It is interchangeable in both Scotland and Northern Ireland (McAfee - McDuffee). They were Presbyterian and farmers and said to have descended from Scots Coventanters. My 4th great grandfather was born on Islay abt. 1730 and moved to County Antrim, N. Ireland abt. 1750's with a friend McQuigg. They settled near Bushmills. McAfee is a highland clan and said to be part of the Siol Alpin. The emigrated to Wayne County, Ohio in June of 1838. Terminal SNP is FGC10125 (DNA).

+Quote Post
druidtree
post 3rd Sep 2016, 11:20pm
Post #263

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,270
DNA points to the Scots of the west of Scotland are originally Irish!

http://thescotsirish.blogspot.co.uk/2014/1...cots-irish.html

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.