Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Irish Immigrants Garscube / Dobbies / St. George's, History of Garscube Road and the Irish
aaron king
post 7th Mar 2007, 11:38am
Post #16

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
Attached Image
HERE ARE SOME PICS OF OLD GARSCUBE RD AND AREA

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Mar 2007, 05:31pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Evelyn, I don't know if they would have details of where a marriage took place unless it was in that Church.
I have just checked my Birth Certificate and it gives my parents names and date of Marriage, but gives no information as to where they were married.
Baptismal, & Marriage Certificate's only give my parents names.

We have just recently managed to find out that our great g'father was married in St. Mungo's in 1876. We are still trying to find out where in Ireland he came from, as his Birth Certificate only says Born in Ireland as was his wife.

Rdem, years ago there were two cemetaries in Lambhill. Catholic and Protestant. Lambhill Cemetary and St. Kentigerns. Coming from a family of different Religions, I have relations in both. Recently I was told they are now joined together.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 7th Mar 2007, 07:25pm
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 4,597
Heather, thanks for your reply. I might try to email the church and ask if they have any details re any of my husbands family. I would imagine they would have all been christened there. I know that the marriage I'm looking for took place in Dundalk, Louth, 24/2/1892. I'm really looking to find out where my husbands great grandfather came from. I've tried Louth but there weren't a lot of Moloneys in that vicinity at that time It's more likely to be Clare, as it is heaving with Moloneys!! I'm getting frustrated with his family history because of the Ireland link!!! Thank God mine are all scottish back to 1650!!! wink.gif

--------------------
life is waaaay toooooo short!!! don't put it off!!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Mar 2007, 08:31pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Evelyn, think how we feel in trying to trace my husband's g'g'father, Patrick O'Brien. wub.gif

There must be 1000s of men with that name in Ireland, or Irish descent.

When I was over in Ireland a couple years ago with my sister and her American husband, we traced the Chapel in County Meath where his g'father was Baptised. It was on his Baptismal Certificate. The Priest gave us the address where my bro-in-laws g'g'parents family lived, but we could not find the place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jock
post 8th Mar 2007, 07:07am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Thanks for the old pics. Aaron.Brings back forgotten memories.I attended the old St. Mungo's Academy and occasionally would walk home from Parliamentary Rd. to Maryhill via dobbies loan etc.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 12th Mar 2007, 12:30am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Paul I came from Sawfield Place right off the Garscube Road, and it was a three storey tenement with four house's on each level and every level had an outside toilet. So there were twelve house with three toilets. There were no houses on the ground floor. Some of the house's had one room and kitchen, and some had two rooms and a kitchen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*sam scott*
post 13th Mar 2007, 02:22pm
Post #22

Hello,
I lived in Cedar Place for years, my Grandparents lived in the Carscube Road area during the period you are refering. My Grandad's Parents and Grandparents also lived there. They came from Ireland during the period you are searching. The poeple of that area were mostly Coal miners or Foundry workers, ther were Coal Mines in Possil, and a few Iron Foundries in the area. My grandad's name was Gallagher and I Have records of his family from 1820. You can go to Park Circus to the Registry office were you can search all of the Records of Births,Deaths, and Marriages for scotland. It costs about £13 a day to use the computer, you do not have to go to Edinborgh to search now. you can also go to the Mitchell Library and search the Census's for that period. if you like the Priest at St Columba has the Parish records for both St Joseph's and St Columba's, and will allow you to look at them with an appointment. I hope this will help you in your search
Sam

+Quote Post
cutechick
post 14th Mar 2007, 12:32am
Post #23

Settling In
Member No.: 4,651
Hi Everyone,
I am a new member and I am having a bit of bother getting in here (a wee bit slow in the uptake)
This will be short and sweet I am known as The Cute Chick from The Cowcaddens I lived in Balnain St accross from the Woodside Baths and then moved to Castlemilk so all these old pictures are bringing back a lot of good memories Thankyou.
Stuarty I think I know your Family at least your Mothers Bella Cathy Esther and Vincent they lived on Northwoodside Rd and were they related to the McCullochs?
Great site now wish me luck that i get this off.

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 14th Mar 2007, 12:23pm
Post #24

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
QUOTE (jock @ 8th Mar 2007, 07:24 AM) *
Thanks for the old pics. Aaron.Brings back forgotten memories.I attended the old St. Mungo's Academy and occasionally would walk home from Parliamentary Rd. to Maryhill via dobbies loan etc.

THANKS JOCK ,I GLAD I PUT THEM IN NOW,HASTE YE BACK

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 15th Mar 2007, 11:22pm
Post #25

Settling In
Member No.: 4,597
Hi Sam Scott,

I was interested to see that you lived in Cedar Place. One of my husbands relatives was born in 6 Cedar Place. Are any of the houses still there?

--------------------
life is waaaay toooooo short!!! don't put it off!!

+Quote Post
*j macklin*
post 13th Nov 2008, 12:12am
Post #26

QUOTE (sam scott @ 13th Mar 2007, 02:30pm) *
Hello,
I lived in Cedar Place for years, my Grandparents lived in the Carscube Road area during the period you are refering. My Grandad's Parents and Grandparents also lived there. They came from Ireland during the period you are searching. The poeple of that area were mostly Coal miners or Foundry workers, ther were Coal Mines in Possil, and a few Iron Foundries in the area. My grandad's name was Gallagher and I Have records of his family from 1820. You can go to Park Circus to the Registry office were you can search all of the Records of Births,Deaths, and Marriages for scotland. It costs about £13 a day to use the computer, you do not have to go to Edinborgh to search now. you can also go to the Mitchell Library and search the Census's for that period. if you like the Priest at St Columba has the Parish records for both St Joseph's and St Columba's, and will allow you to look at them with an appointment. I hope this will help you in your search
Sam

+Quote Post
ethen
post 13th Nov 2008, 01:25am
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,216
I was interested in the reply from S Scott I also stayed in Cedar Pl I lived with my granny 3 Cedar Pl
Her name was Mary Gallagher I had cousins lived in the same close The Scott,s Sammy Mary were
the parents they had I think seven children and I think Samuel was the youngest he had six sisters
I lived in Cedar Pl from 1940 until 1947 when I moved round to 13 Cedar St to my parents house my dad was demobbed we left this area and got moved to Easterhouse 1957 I don,t know of any other Scott,s who lived there in my time The Samuel I knew ended up in Bognar Regis
RSVP

+Quote Post
*edward kelly*
post 23rd Nov 2008, 05:25pm
Post #28

hi

My father was born in june 1939 in 338 garscube road his name was john kelly i would be grateful if anyone had any information his father was edward kelly and his mother was mary agnes kelly

+Quote Post
Sandi
post 13th Oct 2009, 02:38pm
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,600
QUOTE (mijwoodward @ 20th Jul 2006, 01:39am) *
Hello. I am interested in learning about the history of the Garscube Road-Dobbie's Loan-St. George's Rd area in Glasgow during the 1840's-1850's. My ancestors, William Logg and Barbara McLauchlan, lived there with their children, as found on the 1841 census. Then, in 1851, William is found living with one of his daughters, Hannah Bolland, on St. George's. Both of the Loggs, along with their daughter, Hannah, were born in Ireland.

I want to find out all I can about the social history of that area of Glasgow during that time, especially regarding Irish immigrants--what did the area look like, was there sort of an Irish community there, etc.?

I plan to obtain one of the Villages of Glasgow books. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

+Quote Post
Crossman
post 13th Oct 2009, 06:34pm
Post #30

Visitor
Member No.: 6,491
Hi Sandi

Talk to the librarians at Woodside Library which has some local history reference materials and books:
http://www.csglasgow.org/services/Library_...sidelibrary.htm

The Mitchell Library has a Glasgow History room which covers all areas.

Regards
Nick

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.