Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Family Research, hard to find or have you started?
Rating 5 V
weesue
post 28th Aug 2006, 06:09pm
Post #31

Super Resident
Member No.: 930
Yes GB, I've found that if an infant died, quiet often another child was named the same, because maybe it was a family name that they wanted to keep!
I also had a GGG Grandfather who didn't know his age... In three different documents he was three different ages... so we surmised an approximate date of birth for him.

On my Grandmother's Birth cert. from 1908 it stated the letter M for male...
So even the officials had problems with spelling and accurate details... They more than likely are responsible for surname changes and inaccurate ages, when people didn't know their own age.

Here is a link to the Valuation Rolls for 1913-1914 for Glasgow...
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/valsearch.php
Time consuming though... I have been through it with no luck, you need a lot of patience.
Good luck

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonD
post 28th Aug 2006, 10:15pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Good stuff Wee Sue. Like you and GB I have found the names used more than once.

By the way I have the 1881 census on cd so if anyone wants a look up please let me know. It may take time to get back to you but I will.

Cheers
Ron

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Sep 2006, 12:11am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
I have had some good luck, I have been in contact with the wife of a new third cousin once removed from my James Main ( he was a stane dyker in Aberdeenshire). I found her through the hot matches on Genes Renunited.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 13th Sep 2006, 01:21am
Post #34

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
I have reason to believe that one of my great grandfathers was born in Ireland [around 1860].

Does anybody know if we can research births, marriages & deaths in Ireland and, if so, where ?.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 13th Sep 2006, 10:28am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Wullie, Ireland can be tough, not to discourage as many people have done well on their Irish. so many records were lost in the fire of the four courts in 1922 but some copies were kept in the original parishes. Also some of the census records were recycled in the first world war.
However, local gen societies are making an effort to collect as much info as possible for access. I believe that that civil registration started in 1864 in Ireland. For members of the Church of Irleand some records started in 1845. That's all I know, best to google "Irish Genealogy and see what comes up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratson
post 13th Sep 2006, 07:32pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
THE CHURCH OF LATTER DAY SAINTS
have irish records and microfische of the old churches records.
There is one off Great Western Rd,
You have to make an appointment.
When I was at the Mitchell doing the census trace got the leaflet telling me of this.
They have the old maps of the old names of places which you would not see on an ordinary map.
The Info they have is endless.
Hope this is of help to anyone tracing Irish family. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
weesue
post 13th Sep 2006, 10:04pm
Post #37

Super Resident
That's good to know stratson. Thanks for sharing that!
Ron, I might get back to you about the 1881 census, thanks...
Will try and find info that I need in my files...
I think I've got the bug again... Had a rest from it all for a while...
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Java
post 15th Sep 2006, 10:51am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Am all excited today cos I just had an email from a family link in New Zealand that I didn't even know existed. I added the names to a website called Curious Fox about two years ago and was thinking of not renewing the subs this year as I hadn't heard anything....lo and behold, an email from a family with links to my great granny....jist goes tae show eh?.....at this rate ah'll get a peece at doors all over the world... biggrin.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
RonD
post 15th Sep 2006, 11:22am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
That's great Java! don't you love when that happens?

--------------------

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 15th Sep 2006, 04:42pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
Hi Guy's,
I've been really Interested in finding oot My family History,could ye's gie me a wee bit of help gettin started,as in which sites tae look fer.cheers smile.gif

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
weesue
post 15th Sep 2006, 05:41pm
Post #41

Super Resident
Hi witshisname
I started with Genes Reunited (You have to register) I put in all my family tree that I knew of... Just direct descendents, you could add all the uncle's cousins if you want, but it is a lot of work... Genes reunited registration lasts for a full year, and I have heard from Zimbabwe, Ireland and Suffolk relatives from this site alone!

Also there is http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ You will have to pay about 6.00 to start but I would not enter information until you have at least a little knowledge first... Or you could just be guessing and lose credits...
Having your grandparents Birth cert or marriage cert is a good start, because that should give you "their" parents names and approximate birth dates...

I also use http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
This is the Mormon database.. you might not get all you want from it... but it is free. I have found a few documented names in here... Go to the IGI (International Genealogical Index) index in this site. It is in the panel on the left hand side of the page...

http://www.genealogy.com/community.html Is also one I use... Most of these sites are NOT free... but some of them have forums where you can leave a post under your surname and also read others....

http://www.genealogy.com/community.html

I wish you luck witshisname It will be a long process, but a very enjoyable journey...

--------------------

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 15th Sep 2006, 06:34pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Javamol, great news. It must give you a great lift to find some long lost relatives. Go for it,,,, go get the piece. Jaybee

+Quote Post
Java
post 15th Sep 2006, 06:42pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Aw, thanks Jaybee...it was a line I thought I'd mistraced so it's great to get it back on track....ah've a feelin am related to you and Annie somewhere way, way, way, back...... laugh.gif

-----

Thanks to you too Ron, am like wean with new toy today....lol

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 15th Sep 2006, 08:35pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (javamol @ 15th Sep 2006, 01:59 PM)
Thanks to you too Ron, am like wean with new toy today....lol

Javamol, That is how I feel every time I get a new wee bite of info, the feeling never goes away. There are times when I stay on it for months then I find I need time away from it.
Good Luck!!!!

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
weesue
post 15th Sep 2006, 09:25pm
Post #45

Super Resident
Am all excited today cos I just had an email from a family link in New Zealand that I didn't even know existed

That's Great news Javamol... I felt exactly the same when I got an email from Genes Reunited from a distant relative all the way from Zimbawe... His GG Grandmother and my GGG Grandfather were brother and sister... It was great to view his tree on the web site and see that the last two generations matched mine exactly... It makes it all worthwhile. Good luck and have many more interesting finds...

weesue

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.