Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lauders Calls Time On Big Band Music, End of an era for big band music in Glasgow
GG
post 17th Apr 2008, 08:12pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Lauder's Bar on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow city centre has ditched its famous big band live music performances. Lauder's has been famous for over 20 years for treating its patrons to free big band shows every Saturday afternoon and early evening, and live music has been a permanent fixture in the pub since the 1940s.

Attached Image

However the pub, which will close for refurbishment soon, has decided to axe the big band in favour of putting in more tables and seats for dining customers. Owners said that due to space restrictions it was no longer practical to accommodate a 17-piece band every Saturday afternoon.

Attached Image

Lauder's Big Band leader Pete Dyer, who played in Glasgow's dance halls as a teenager in the 1950s said:
The band here has remained a tradition and an institution.

What I find sad is that the place is getting refurbished so there must have been plans for a while, but we only found out a couple of weeks ago that we wouldn't be coming back.

There are places we could go but we want to stay.

Lauder's Bar opened in 1836. The establishment is named for Archibald Lauder, who took over the licence in 1871 when it was the Royal Lochnagar Vaults. Lauder produced a blended whisky, Lauder's Royal Northern Cream, which was exported worldwide. The pub was conveniently situated near cinemas, dance halls and theatres, and it remains popular at the beginning of the 21st century.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 18th Apr 2008, 02:00am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Well. it was good,they kept it going all these years,but I suppose these days,its profit's,and the additional seating would create just that.Good Luck on their re-opening!

+Quote Post
CAT
post 18th Apr 2008, 10:51am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
Have they thought maybe if they don't have the bands they won't have as many customers to fill all these extra seats. There are plenty of pubs inthe city centre to choose from and if they are all much the same you don't get the loyallty.

+Quote Post
peter9000
post 19th Apr 2008, 07:03pm
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,215
Sorry to see the end of the music from the big band. It was always something to enjoy while the shopaholics haunted the town centre. sad.gif

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 19th Apr 2008, 10:05pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
What a shame. It was the sound of the music as you passed by that drew you in. Loud, yes, but oh so pleasant. I think this is a mistake. Jaybee

+Quote Post
*Dizzy*
post 7th Jun 2008, 02:45pm
Post #6

Can you tell me if the band will be performing elsewhere in the City?

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 8th Jun 2008, 04:08am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Such a shame , it had originality .Pubs and bars are ten a penny, you need something different to draw in custom.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
*cazzat1*
post 9th Oct 2008, 03:46pm
Post #8

QUOTE (penny dainty @ 8th Jun 2008, 05:12am) *
Such a shame , it had originality .Pubs and bars are ten a penny, you need something different to draw in custom.

+Quote Post
*CAZZAT1*
post 9th Oct 2008, 03:54pm
Post #9

oh no! i cant beleive it. what a shame we so looked forward to going here on a saturday afternoon when we came to glasgow! it will never be the same nor have the same atmosphere!! we absolutely loved it. please please bring them back!!!!!!! does anyone know where they play at now? we will go there instead!!! big mistake lauders!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
*Guest Elaine **
post 28th Dec 2008, 01:15pm
Post #10

Sorry to hear this. My dad is up from Yorkshire for Christmas was so looking firward to me taking him to hear 'The Big Band'. It has become a tradition that I take him there. He has also travelled up to hear them play at other concert venues.
What a disappointment....

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 29th Dec 2008, 05:55pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (Dizzy @ 7th Jun 2008, 03:44pm) *
Can you tell me if the band will be performing elsewhere in the City?

The band have moved to the Winchester Club in Ingram Street on a Saturday afternoon.

The Winchester Club

+Quote Post
**Jim**
post 3rd Feb 2010, 02:55pm
Post #12

I was a regular big band fan who went to Lauders only to listen to the band. I regularly had the company of other family members and friends including my 19 year old Son and his friends. I for one spent more money standing watching the band than any single table that has replaced them. Another boring Pub has been born. Another nail in the coffin of the pub tradition. Winstons has now closed as the Red Lizzard is making it into a cocktail bar (another one) So I will change venue with the band and take my friends, family and wallet with me. Well done to all band members for battling on and bringing fun into this bland world.

+Quote Post
*Clive Pownceby*
post 4th Nov 2010, 12:20pm
Post #13

I used to call in here on the Saturday afternoons when I was up in the city for the Celtic Connections Festival in January. Quite honestly Heather and the band were often far better than the musicians I'd be seeing over the rest of the weekend! It's been a year or two now since I could afford to go to Celtic Connections but I'm saddened to see the demise of this regular gig. Anyone know where the band is now, if anywhere, in case I CAN get up again?
Yeh, shame on you Lauders - how short-sighted to axe something so unique.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 4th Nov 2010, 08:59pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 29th Dec 2008, 10:41am) *
The band have moved to the Winchester Club in Ingram Street on a Saturday afternoon.

The Winchester Club

I'll credit you this Dexter...you're the go to man on this site!!...(although a mystery man)

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 4th Nov 2010, 09:45pm
Post #15

Resident
Member No.: 546
Haw Welly, Dex' made that post in June of 2008, Janis Joplin and Jimmie Hendrix urr deid noo an' mebbe that band is playing wae "The Gleen Miller" up in the big blue yonder .... ah'm noa buying 'flight tickets' tae ah get proof that they're still 'wetting the reids' at that address, LoL! Ach jist pullin yurr leg china, say "Hi!" tae "Lady Patricia"

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.