Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Partick
angel
post 22nd Nov 2008, 10:15pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
laugh.gif Your where brave Rab. tongue.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 22nd Nov 2008, 11:01pm
Post #17

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
A couple of months ago my husband and I went looking at local nursing homes, while at one the residents where all sitting around waiting for the local minister to come. An annoucement came over the loud speaker and this elderly gentlemen came over to me and asked what the message was. When I told him he asked where I was from, I said Glasgow he said so am I. I'm from Partick he told me his name was James Stewart and his dad had a coal business up Crow Rd. This is the second time I have met this gentlemen over the years. My mum remembers him and I thought there might be a few here would also remember him. I think he said he came out here with his family in the early 60's. Small world.

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 22nd Nov 2008, 11:52pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Wasn't it Tomlinson in Partick who sold the famous T-ball for soccer

+Quote Post
plays54
post 30th Dec 2008, 11:01am
Post #19

Settling In
Member No.: 2,985
Hi,

Partick (and Whiteinch and Scotstoun) played a major part in my childhood. The family (on my mother's side) lived in Partick from the 1850's right through to the early 1990's - Anderson Street, Hyndland Road, Byres Road, Highburgh Road. My great grandfathers and grandad worked in the shipyards, my granny worked for a spell at the Art Galleries, one of my aunt's worked in the Glasgow University labs on Byres Road near the hospital, and my dad used to drive his tramcar out of the Partick garage. Lived my childhood in Scotstoun but loved to go down into Partick as there were many many shops there - like Woolworths and Boots just past the Partick Station bridge. Does anyone remember Edgar's Stores on Dumbarton Road heading back towards Whiteinch?? Edgar and his family were such lovely people and my gran and her daughters always brought their household goods from his store. After some years of also living in Scotstoun my granny went back to live in Partick and although we had moved out of Glasgow by then we used to like to go down and visit her on Saturdays. Our tea-time meal would be a fish supper from the chippie at the bottom of Hyndland Road and later we would walk her down for her bingo night at the Three F's (?) on Dumbarton Road.

Cheers,
plays54.

+Quote Post
glezgaman
post 6th Sep 2010, 01:16pm
Post #20

Settling In
Member No.: 1,979
i dont belong to partick, i was born on the other side of the clyde in kinningpark. but i once proposed to a wee strawberry blonde from thorn st, dorothy walker. i got taken up to meet her dad, helluva nice man. we then went to the sunday cafe at the f&f's me her and her pal. thats when i took cold feet and bailed out and left them. mabey i was a bit immature at 18yro,and felt too young for marriage and commitment. its haunted me a bit over the years. i'm 73 now and often wondered what became of her,she was a real good looker, and street wise and i've no doubt she would've done well for herself over the years. but the little bit of regret still lingers there.

--------------------
jist gon tae see a man aboot a dug

+Quote Post
irrie
post 6th Sep 2010, 01:25pm
Post #21

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
QUOTE (plays54 @ 30th Dec 2008, 12:03pm) *
Hi,

Partick (and Whiteinch and Scotstoun) played a major part in my childhood. The family (on my mother's side) lived in Partick from the 1850's right through to the early 1990's - Anderson Street, Hyndland Road, Byres Road, Highburgh Road. My great grandfathers and grandad worked in the shipyards, my granny worked for a spell at the Art Galleries, one of my aunt's worked in the Glasgow University labs on Byres Road near the hospital, and my dad used to drive his tramcar out of the Partick garage. Lived my childhood in Scotstoun but loved to go down into Partick as there were many many shops there - like Woolworths and Boots just past the Partick Station bridge. Does anyone remember Edgar's Stores on Dumbarton Road heading back towards Whiteinch?? Edgar and his family were such lovely people and my gran and her daughters always brought their household goods from his store. After some years of also living in Scotstoun my granny went back to live in Partick and although we had moved out of Glasgow by then we used to like to go down and visit her on Saturdays. Our tea-time meal would be a fish supper from the chippie at the bottom of Hyndland Road and later we would walk her down for her bingo night at the Three F's (?) on Dumbarton Road.

Cheers,ma da worked in partick depot wi the trams late 40s early 50s
plays54.

+Quote Post
rikkiduncan
post 18th May 2013, 12:02pm
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 8,661
Hi Partickonians, my name is Rikki Duncan I was born in Crawford Street in 1949 next close to the Orange halls, i had an older brother Alex and two older sisters Moira and Helen my mum is Annie my dad was Dick Duncan, my memories of Patrick are minimal as I was 4.5 yrs old when we were shipped to a foreign land known as Drumchapel, (here lies another story) what I can remember is being taken to Victoria Park on a Sunday with my parents, and I could see the model yachts being sailed on the pond, also playing out the back in the old steamies, and playing out on the street with my 3 wheeler bike, looking though the letterbox and seeing neighbors take bed pans (chanties) to the communal toilet (sterrhied cludgie) where they would empty them. I later on in life moved back to Partick for a few of years, this would be from 1979 to 1985 living in Merkland Street and Chancellor Street, before moving over the River to Govan.

--------------------
How come I always get the wee leg when the family have Haggis for tea ?

+Quote Post
**cathy**
post 7th Jul 2016, 04:56pm
Post #23

QUOTE (maryhillgal @ 1st Sep 2007, 06:53pm) *
Sorry I am a bit off topic here.

Anne 1, I also remember Sanshoe Sanny when I lived in Maryhill. Did you also know "wee doutie?" That's what we called him anyway - he swaggered about Maryhill singing with a wee fag in end his mouth [a dout] and was a right character = he wasn't the size of tuppence.

There was also a massive big skinny guy who used to tap dance and sing outside the Glassgow Empire and also the cinemas. He always wore a dinner suit. I think he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic but he was good entertainment.

+Quote Post
*Trina Robson*
post 19th Aug 2016, 12:52pm
Post #24

QUOTE (CELTCHIC67 @ 6th Nov 2007, 12:54am) *
My mum stayed in Partick before they moved to Drumchapel
and so did her cousin Bernadette hurels(spelling)
my mum's name is cathy walker does anyone know her or her
cousin?

+Quote Post
kenb
post 21st Apr 2017, 07:05am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
sorry but there is no district for scotstouni am blocked from starting a new topic(what have i done) any wayi am looking forpics of larchfied in scotstounand any info on the booth family pop booth(grand dad)and (granny booth nee suther land) i think no of st was 58his son (uncle john )his family lived further down larch fieldi i am looking for pics of the street and familyif poss this site hasnt let me down in the past

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.