Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adelphi Hotel
Zorro
post 30th Dec 2010, 01:04am
Post #31

Resident
Member No.: 8,458
The Adelphi was on the corner of Union Street and Argyll Street. In fact it wasn't demolished until the present building was built in the 1990's. On removing the panels that made up the facade of Boot's the demolition squad discovered the original facade of the Adelphi. Fearing they would lose the job if the conservation groups found out about it they ripped it down rapidly...thus another piece of Glesga's architectural heritage was reduced to a pile of rubble and dust. mad.gif

--------------------
Zorro...the Riddrie Fox
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 30th Dec 2010, 01:38am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
QUOTE (Zorro @ 30th Dec 2010, 01:42am) *
The Adelphi was on the corner of Union Street and Argyll Street. In fact it wasn't demolished until the present building was built in the 1990's. On removing the panels that made up the facade of Boot's the demolition squad discovered the original facade of the Adelphi. Fearing they would lose the job if the conservation groups found out about it they ripped it down rapidly...thus another piece of Glesga's architectural heritage was reduced to a pile of rubble and dust. mad.gif

Too bad that building was torn down I remember the Adelphi very well I used think it was a narrow hotel until I found out that it stretched above Boots, the Adelphi had a uniformed doorman just like the Central Hotel, those were the grand old days, yes it was at the corner of Union St. and Argyle St., remember the big clock

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 30th Dec 2010, 01:40am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 30th Dec 2010, 02:16am) *
Too bad that building was torn down I remember the Adelphi very well I used think it was a narrow hotel until I found out that it stretched above Boots, the Adelphi had a uniformed doorman just like the Central Hotel, those were the grand old days, yes it was at the corner of Union St. and Argyle St., remember the big clock

PS the main door was on Argyle Street

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 28th Mar 2011, 08:59pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
I lost my virginity in the Adelphi hotel.
Senga Murry fa possil.
I must have liked her a lot to spend money on a hotel room,
I used to take my birds to lambhill cemetery for a snog.
( used to know all the romantic spots in Glasgow)

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 28th Mar 2011, 09:51pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
You might have liked her, but your not much of a gentleman making the girl's name public.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 28th Mar 2011, 11:10pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
your right, sorry about that.
To much information

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 30th Mar 2011, 10:16pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Thanks Purplefan, we all make mistakes.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 30th Mar 2011, 11:44pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 28th Mar 2011, 04:27pm) *
your right, sorry about that.
To much information

If you feel bad,you can always have that post removed..ask the boss

+Quote Post
*Mart B*
post 14th Nov 2015, 04:29pm
Post #39

QUOTE (stratson @ 16th Feb 2009, 08:20pm) *
The Adelphi Hotel was in Howard Street St Enoch Square, The only Adelphi that was in Glasgow. Was owned by Peter Fox many years ago. Last time I noticed it was being used to house the homeless men in Glasgow. Oddly enough have passed there a couple of times but never noticed.
Chances are it no longer operates as the Adelphi. At the corner just passed where it was is "THe Lorne Bar".
Will look next time am in that part of town. There's so much building work now with the Centre Mall being extended. smile.gif

You are right, my dad leased it for a few years and he used to take me in as a wee boy in the early 80s. My brother knocked a hole in a storage cupboard out into the street and tuned it into a tobaccokiosk...did a roaring trade from all the workies who were on site building the new St Enoch Centre. We had a video shop in the foyer for a while too.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.