Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blackhill
tarzan
post 9th Apr 2013, 10:04am
Post #91

Visitor
Member No.: 3,432
QUOTE (TOMMY SHORT @ 20th Nov 2011, 09:56pm) *
PADDY THE BLEACHMAN DID HAVE A HORSE AND CART HE LIVED NEXT DOOR TO THE WRIGLEYS HIS GRANNIES NAME WAS WARD,HE LIVED IN 44 HOGGANFIELD STREET

sorry for the late reply. biggrin.gif
Definitely a barra, he was too wee to drive a horse and cart.
He used to live in an old house that stood on the Cumbernauld Rd on the opposite side to the tearooms before you got to the Golfer's Rest.

By "Wrigley" do you mean the "Ridleys"? 3 brothers and a sister living one up I think, the oldest brother was in a group.
Certainly do not remember a midget ever living up that close.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tarzan
post 9th Apr 2013, 10:29am
Post #92

Visitor
QUOTE (Eddie Conner @ 3rd Sep 2012, 07:10am) *
The auld Blackhill days, reading through the posts I recognise a few of the Names, I would have started in st philomenas primary in 1967 I think. I remember Paddy the Bleach man with his wee barra even that was too big for him, He got killed by a big Jeep in the path behind the shops next too the Provanmill inn, Think that was Royston Rd. We stayed on Moodiesburn Street 22, I am surprised noone has mentioned Auld McEwan the hoose bookie, Or wee Aggie that hung oot the wan up windae and ran a shoap fae hur hoose at night selling wee bags of sugar ,tea, slices of bread etc. Spent a lot of time Playing in St Kenneths School on Frankfield street,Doon the Canal, But the best days ever were playing on the boats up the hoggandfield loch then nipping across tae the Rubarb Fields tae steal some rubarb on the way home.

Hi Eddie
You remember Wee Paddy the bleachman and his barra as well.

Was Pat McEwan the bookie still going in your day?!!!

In the 50's my granda would take me on a daunder up to his pitch on Maryston St then to the paper shop for a (wee) bottle of Irn Bru.
A certain local, later a notorious "businessman" with a house on Provanmill Rd, made his name by robbing him at gunpoint.
That was with his then henchman (who he later shot).
ah Blackhill, it was never boring.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Apr 2013, 09:04am
Post #93

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (tarzan @ 9th Apr 2013, 11:21am) *
By "Wrigley" do you mean the "Ridleys"? 3 brothers and a sister living one up I think, the oldest brother was in a group.

Did he have red hair and was the group called "The Ex" smile.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 10th Apr 2013, 11:14am
Post #94

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
QUOTE (tarzan @ 9th Apr 2013, 06:46am) *
Hi Eddie
You remember Wee Paddy the bleachman and his barra as well.

Was Pat McEwan the bookie still going in your day?!!!

In the 50's my granda would take me on a daunder up to his pitch on Maryston St then to the paper shop for a (wee) bottle of Irn Bru.
A certain local, later a notorious "businessman" with a house on Provanmill Rd, made his name by robbing him at gunpoint.
That was with his then henchman (who he later shot).
ah Blackhill, it was never boring.

I used to pal about with a guy who lived across the street from that "local businessman" My pal,s name was Tam Taylor, Anybody remember him?
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
tarzan
post 10th Apr 2013, 12:51pm
Post #95

Visitor
QUOTE (ashfield @ 10th Apr 2013, 10:21am) *
Did he have red hair and was the group called "The Ex" smile.gif

ashfield
The "EX"
Couldn't remember the band but you've brought it back. Can't remember them ever playing though biggrin.gif .

+Quote Post
tarzan
post 10th Apr 2013, 12:57pm
Post #96

Visitor
QUOTE (Foxy52 @ 10th Apr 2013, 12:31pm) *
I used to pal about with a guy who lived across the street from that "local businessman" My pal,s name was Tam Taylor, Anybody remember him?
Cheers
Foxy

I remember Tam, he's actually posted a school photie on Friends' Re-united, so he can be contacted.
Riddrie school that is, he was among the ones who came when Provanmill School closed.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Apr 2013, 03:10pm
Post #97

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (tarzan @ 10th Apr 2013, 02:08pm) *
ashfield
The "EX"
Couldn't remember the band but you've brought it back. Can't remember them ever playing though biggrin.gif .

They did play a couple of times, he and another guy (can't remember his name) from Blackhill had their photo taken with the DJ, Stuart Henry and it was displayed for years in Dee's clothes shop in Argyle St biggrin.gif I met the guy Ridley when he was doing a course at Barmulloch College, think he was an aprentice electrician unsure.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 10th Apr 2013, 03:41pm
Post #98

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (tarzan @ 10th Apr 2013, 09:14am) *
I remember Tam, he's actually posted a school photie on Friends' Re-united, so he can be contacted.
Riddrie school that is, he was among the ones who came when Provanmill School closed.

Hello Tarzan,
I first met Tam when we were kids around 13/14 back in the mid 60s. We were at the same school ................Mossbank, a wee bit further up the Cumbernauld Road in Millerston.
We remained good pals right up until l left to come here to the U.S.
I will have a wee look for him on Friends.
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
tarzan
post 11th Apr 2013, 07:56am
Post #99

Visitor
QUOTE (Foxy52 @ 10th Apr 2013, 04:58pm) *
Hello Tarzan,
I first met Tam when we were kids around 13/14 back in the mid 60s. We were at the same school ................Mossbank, a wee bit further up the Cumbernauld Road in Millerston.
We remained good pals right up until l left to come here to the U.S.
I will have a wee look for him on Friends.
Cheers
Foxy

I remember Mossbank, didn't attend it myself though. You're not from round Corsock St way are you Foxy?

+Quote Post
tarzan
post 11th Apr 2013, 08:16am
Post #100

Visitor
QUOTE (ashfield @ 10th Apr 2013, 04:27pm) *
They did play a couple of times, he and another guy (can't remember his name) from Blackhill had their photo taken with the DJ, Stuart Henry and it was displayed for years in Dee's clothes shop in Argyle St biggrin.gif I met the guy Ridley when he was doing a course at Barmulloch College, think he was an aprentice electrician unsure.gif

I recall that photo as well now, I worked in Candleriggs and pointed it out to a mate "Ah know that guy in the photie" reflected fame
They lived in Queenslie St not Hogganfield St, so apologies to tommy short.

Remember seeing two or three of the band coming out of a back close in Craigenmuir St, p*ssing down rain, typical 60's group type, styled hair , cravats, hipsters, cuban heels, (bit camp looking really) and all wearing their coats over their shoulders like lords as they negotiated the puddles and midgie bins getting across the back court with guitars in hand biggrin.gif
God knows where they were going. Couldn't stop my Grannie laughing.

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 11th Apr 2013, 11:49am
Post #101

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (tarzan @ 11th Apr 2013, 04:13am) *
I remember Mossbank, didn't attend it myself though. You're not from round Corsock St way are you Foxy?

No Tarzan, not related to the Corsock St. Foxes. I was born and raised in Springburn/Possilpark. Met Tam in Mossbank. I remember after he got married, l think it was in 1970/71 he bought a wee single end down off Duke St. right where it splits at Carntynehall road. I painted and papered it for him. I can't remember his wifes name though. I sent him a wee message on Friends, though l noticed that he posted the photo 8 or 9 years ago.....................hope he,s still around
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 17th Jan 2014, 10:55pm
Post #102

Hi all, reading through this it reminds me of so many storys that my dad used to tell me, his name is Ian Douglas he stayed in acre hill st in the 60's & 70's he has 3 brothers, William Douglas, Peter, and Andrew, and a sister Lorraine, my granda William worked in the railway and died in the 70's. I recognise some of the names in the thread and I'll give it to my dad to read.

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 5th Mar 2014, 09:28am
Post #103

Visitor
Member No.: 6,662
We moved from Prestwick to Glasgow, before we got a house of our own we lived in 1 Craigendmuir st
With a woman called May Queen. We had relatives who lived in Blackhill, there were a few of them
Called Oswald they lived near Hugganfield loch if memory serves me right. We only stayed there for 2 weeks before we got a house in Berkeley Street in Anderson.

+Quote Post
*Joyce Mclafferty*
post 27th Apr 2014, 03:57am
Post #104

QUOTE (tommy short @ 28th Mar 2011, 01:24pm) *
i came from blackhill used to live in hogganfield st then moved to frankfield st i was at the roch school with big joe mclafferty he was in same class as me .also knew winnie whelan and her family and most of the others who are subscribing the guide my nickname was(shorty)

+Quote Post
*Joyce Mclafferty*
post 27th Apr 2014, 04:03am
Post #105

QUOTE (tommy short @ 28th Mar 2011, 01:24pm) *
i came from blackhill used to live in hogganfield st then moved to frankfield st i was at the roch school with big joe mclafferty he was in same class as me .also knew winnie whelan and her family and most of the others who are subscribing the guide my nickname was(shorty)

I believe this to my uncle Joe Mclafferty who you are talking about. Who sadly died a couple of years ago. My dad was John Mclafferty Joes elder brother. If it's the Same Joe you are talking about which I'm sure it must be as I couldn't think there would be that many Joe Mclafferty's from Blackhill, Joe was the youngest member of the family. He had older brothers Michael and John and sisters Anna, and Mary all of which I'm sad to say have passed away now.

Hope this helps and thank you for looking for him.xx

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Feb 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.